Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 16 2011
By: Akin_64 First Son 2 posts
Accepted Solution

Wallet Balance Update - fake or legit?

13 replies 714 views Edited Dec 16, 2011

Just received this email and thought why would I get this since i just bought some dlc for RDR a few days ago.

If posted this in the wrong section, sorry about that.

psn.jpg

Message 1 of 14 (714 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Re: Wallet Balance Update - fake or legit?

Dec 16, 2011

What's the sender's e-mail address?

You could right-click on the links to get more information on them and see where they point to, too.

Message 2 of 14 (714 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 16, 2011
Message 3 of 14 (714 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 16, 2011

I received this e-mail also. I did a google search for the phrase from the title and there is an ign message board thread about it and it sounds like it is fake.

Message 4 of 14 (714 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Dec 16, 2011

I raised this with Sony when I first got it - below is my response from support (I removed the operatives name). 

Definitley NOT a legit email. Avoid at all costs.  These hackers are getting pretty sneaky trying to capture your details when they know PSN is probably down due to maintenance.

>>>>

Discussion Thread

Response Via Email (PERSON)          12/15/2011 11:51 PM

Hello xxxxxxx

Thank you for contacting us regarding the email you received regarding unused funds in your PlayStation®Wallet. The message you received was not sent by a representative of Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA). I apologize for the inconvenience and concern that this has caused you.

We suggest deleting any messages that are not from pscustomer_service@playstation.sony.com then reporting the person who sent it to you using our online tool.

Sending chain messages or unsolicited messages is against the Community Code of Conduct and may cause your PlayStation Network account to be suspended or banned.

To report the person sending this message, please click on the link below:

Article Title: Reporting inappropriate or abusive users

Article Link: http://playstation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/218

If you have clicked on any links included in the email or have replied to the email, we also recommend that you immediately change your PlayStation Network account password by following the steps outlined below:

In order to change your password on your PlayStation 3 system, please follow the steps outlined below:

- On the XMB™, go to the PlayStation Network icon.

- Choose, "Sign In".

- Enter your Sign-In ID (email address).

- Select, "Forgot Password" and press the X button.

- Enter your Sign-In ID and Date of Birth, select the on screen "Continue" button and press the X button.

- Select the "Confirm" button and press the X button.

- You will receive an email with a link that will allow you to change your password within 24 hours.

If you are unable to locate the Forgot Password Link, please follow the steps outlined below:

- On the XMB™ go to the PlayStation Network icon.

- If you see "Account Management" press the triangle button and turn off the "Auto Sign In" feature.

- Next, select "Sign Out".

- Go back to the PlayStation Network icon and follow the steps above.

I know that by deleting this message without clicking on any links contained in the message and reporting the person who sent the message will keep your PlayStation Network account secure. Resetting your password is just a precaution. I would like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. If you have any further questions and/or concerns regarding this or any other issue you may have with any PlayStation® product, please email us again.

Regards,

<<<<

Message 5 of 14 (714 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Dec 16, 2011

does sony have a place we can report these people so they can go after them i just got the same emails

Message 6 of 14 (714 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Dec 16, 2011

acepsycho wrote:

does sony have a place we can report these people so they can go after them i just got the same emails

Actually read the thread; the answer to your question is above.

I got one of these last night. I do have a small balance in my account, but it definitely hasn't been sitting there for six months, so I thought it was fishy.

Message 7 of 14 (714 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 16, 2011

I do not believe this is fake in my part. i've received the e-mail and it did link to the real playstation website. I even got the same message on my PS3 from PSN (with logo) and including a link to the store for special offers.

Message 8 of 14 (714 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Dec 17, 2011

Interesting that there seems to be 2 versions of the email in circulation - one with real URL's in them, and some that have the 'fishy' looking ones.

It's starting to sound like something out of Oceans Eleven, but I'm wondering if its possible they sent the phishing email to everyone they hacked details for previously - but some people legitimately got this email from Sony.

I'd be interested to see a comparison of the two different structures of the message.

Message 9 of 14 (714 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 17, 2011

i do not have the email anymore since i deleted it. I still have the message on my PS3 though

edit: here it is, it's just a way to advertise their special offers, nothing fishy at all. I think the employee who e-mailed above didn't know about this e-mail and reported it being a scam just in case.

IMG_20111217_123055.jpg

IMG_20111217_123133.jpg

IMG_20111217_123151.jpg

Message 10 of 14 (714 Views)
0 Likes