Dec 19 2012
By: Ebonics_dtf First Son 2 posts

Updating issues. Could use some tips.

2 replies 121 views Edited Dec 19, 2012

Okay so here's my situation. I have a very good internet connection in my house. The main line (which comes into my room) is split between a cable box & the moden, and I still usually get 17.1 MBPS when downloading on my computer. I used a wireless connection when it comes to the PS3. The router is no more than 7 ft. away from the playstation, and yet when I go to download updates, it sticks at a low number, the estimated wait time progressively goes up, and when it peaks at about "400 mins left" it disconnects my entire internet connection, including my PC. I have to reset my router/modem just to get back on the internet. As I said, I have a very good internet connection throughout my house. I use the internet on my iPod & laptop and have no problem what so ever when downloading/streaming stuff. Any tips on why the PS3 would just time out and keep disconnecting me? I've resulted to just plugging in the modem to the ps3 directly but it cannot stay that way since I frequently use the PC. But even switching to the modem didn't help much. Still got the same problem later on when downloading (DC Universe Online if it matters). I'm very disappointed for the amount of money I've spent on the system. Any ideas on why my connection is so bad on the PS3? Or is it just the game I was trying to update? Because prior to this game everything updated fine.. I've even used the internet browser and streamed a few YouTube videos with flying colors. halp pls.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 3 (121 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
18279 posts

Re: Updating issues. Could use some tips.

Dec 19, 2012

What you are experiencing is not a PS3 problem but a networking problem.  Simply put, your router doesn't seem to be able to handle the data load. DCU is the heaviest and longest download I've ever done over the PSN and the download speeds from their severs fluctuates repeatedly.  I say your router is chocking in it's data pocket buffer.

Do the following. Establish a wired connection between your PS3 & router. It is the best and fastest connection you can establish between the two. Enable UPnP at the router and on the PS3. Furthermore, enable QoS. If it has an automatic option, choose that. If it doesn't then reflect your PS3 on it. Do it either via ethernet port assignment or MAC address assignment.

Btw, what router do you have?

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 3 (107 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Re: Updating issues. Could use some tips.

Dec 19, 2012

Linksys "2.5 GHz"

Thank you for the tips.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 3 (104 Views)
0 Likes