May 17 2011
By: Lilmacaco First Son 4 posts

Update Problem and YLOD?

2 replies 124 views Edited May 17, 2011

Hey guys I was playing my playstation this mornin (its an original 60gb) and it was working fine. My cousin came over and told me the PSN was up now so I went on and downloaded the update 3.61, got on and then when I went to sign in (reset the password step) my Playstation shut off and gave me YLOD! It now doesn't turn on anymore and is a heap of junk, this happened about 1 hour ago 10PM EASTERN Time and I went on youtube to check how to fix YLOD and I was not the only person who had the problem. There were at least 10 people on that youtube video saying that their playstations got the YLOD. I was wondering if this was an issue that happened due to all the changes in the new updates or the new system. Also I was wondering if this happened to anyone else and what steps I should take to avoid/solve this problem.

Thanks guys.

Message 1 of 3 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3314 posts

Re: Update Problem and YLOD?

May 17, 2011

Lilmacaco wrote:

I was wondering if this was an issue that happened due to all the changes in the new updates or the new system. Also I was wondering if this happened to anyone else and what steps I should take to avoid/solve this problem.

No! What causes the YOLD, is usually heat damage to the GPU (dried up thermal paste and cracked solder balls).

I personally never update my system after playing it for a couple of hours. I always give my system a 30 minute cool down (turn it off), before I turn it back on and download the latest firmware. Mainly because it can take up to an hour to update it (if the servers are busy) and that's an extra hour of the system producing heat.

It's even noted in the PS3 manual, that you should give your system a break (let it cooldown) every couple of hours.

Message 2 of 3 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
8 posts

Re: Update Problem and YLOD?

May 18, 2011

I just had my Ps3 fixed for the RLOD, new thermal paste and worked just great. It only updated to 3.61, and was on just fine. no games today at all. Updated the password and immediately shuts off, and red light blinks forever...until Ihit the power button then it goes solid. >.< really mad.

Message 3 of 3 (124 Views)
0 Likes