Dec 15 2012
By: Jammin First Son 2 posts

Unable To Obtain IP

3 replies 197 views Edited Dec 15, 2012

Whooaaaaa it's been a hella long time since I"ve posted on here. I guess it's been so long because I havent had any issues with my ps3 in so long.

Anyways.. I recently moved to Germany for school, and brought my PS3 with me, of course. I have nearly everything Apple (iPhone, iMac, MacBook, iPad) so I made a logical decision to buy an airport to set up my wifi network in my student dorm room. Everything worked seemlessly, setting up the wifi network, connecting all my devices to it (including my PS3) and everything was perfect.. signal strength at 100%, full connection on COD online (pretty much the only game I play). But last week I went to watch a bluray on my PS3 and I get a 'disk region code error' on my ps3, which is weird because I haven't changed any settings from when I lived in Canada. So I reset my ps3 settings, and the blu ray works! Unfortunately, the wifi refuses to connect now.

It recognizes my network, says signal strength is 100%, and even sometimes shows an IP address when I look at the network information on my PS3, but always says (private connections only). When I try to connect my PS3 to my network, everything goes well until it test the connection and it times out. My router is literally 3 feet away from my PS3. I've tried turning off all other connections to my network (phone, laptop etc) but to no avial. There is no other electronical devices in my room other than what I listed, and a TV of course, so there is little chance theres interference. I've tried googling a solution until my fingers bled, and still no solution. I've tried everything I could find on this forum too, still no solution.

Any help? Thanks in advance.

Cliff Notes for lazy people:

Moved to germany

Reset settings for blu ray / dvds to work

Wifi wont connect

IP address timed out

No solution seems to be working

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1421 posts

Re: Unable To Obtain IP

Dec 17, 2012

Did you rent a blue ray there? If its a blue ray you had with you all you had to do was disable your internet connection while you watch it.

Turn off the ps3 then unplug your router for 30 seconds and modem if possible, then plug router in first wait for the lights to finish there buisness then plug modem back in wait about 2 mins then turn on ps3 and try again.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (171 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 17, 2012

I had a connection yesterday all day, but today its gone back to not working. I get an IP address but it says (Private Networks Only) after the IP. My IP is set to automatic, but if theres a way I can change it manually, can someone let me know how to do that? I can post all my networks settings.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (164 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
18226 posts

Dec 19, 2012

Jammin wrote:

I had a connection yesterday all day, but today its gone back to not working. I get an IP address but it says (Private Networks Only) after the IP. My IP is set to automatic, but if theres a way I can change it manually, can someone let me know how to do that? I can post all my networks settings.

Odd behavior huh.

Use this interactive guide to help do a PS3 network manual setup

http://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/977

-Make sure you enter WiFi access key correclty.

-Enable UPnP Or NAT Port Mapping on the Airport & on the PS3. Check your Airport manual to findout how.

-The PS3 doesn't supprort Wireless N. Make sure to set your Airport to support Wireless G. If you would like to have the best connection possible between your PS3 and your network a wired connection is best [PS3 has a gigabit ehternet port]

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (149 Views)
0 Likes