Highlighted
Nov 07 2011
By: Goth_Hawk Monster Hunter 37 posts
Accepted Solution

Trouble Downloading/Download Speed WiFi

6 replies 262 views Edited Nov 7, 2011

I've never had trouble with online gaming or downloading games/updates even though I'm on a WiFi connection. Granted it's slower than my computer's DSL connection, but for WiFi it was good. I have 100% signal connection and typically it would take maybe around 1 min per meg.

For the past month though, it's been drastically slower. For instance, I was trying to download an update for a game today and it was incredibly slow. The update file size is only 11 megs and yet it was telling me it'd take around an hour and a half to two hours! That's rediculous.

I've tried power cycling my modem and router. No change. I tried reseting the PS3's internet options. No change.

So I'm wondering if it's the PSN, or my router. Do routers fail after a while? Can a power outage damage them and make them not perform the way they used to? Should I get a new router?

Thanks in advance guys.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
Message 1 of 7 (262 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Re: Trouble Downloading/Download Speed WiFi

Nov 7, 2011

I can't say for sure if it's your router but I've had to replace mine twice now. Everything wears out or breaks. Also do you have security set on your router? Maybe your neighbor is jumping on your signal and slowing you down.

Message 2 of 7 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Nov 7, 2011

Are you able to test with a wired connection?

You can also try looking for a software (firmware) update for your router. You will need the model and version numbers from the sticker underneath the router. Take that information to the manufacturer's website and look for downloads.

Message 3 of 7 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Nov 9, 2011

It was my router. I'm getting a new one tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys. How do I set security on the router? That may help too.

Message 4 of 7 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Nov 9, 2011

Have a look in my FAQ for general wireless settngs. You may have to scroll up to view the table of contents. You generally want WPA2-PSK AES security with a strong password.

Message 5 of 7 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
682 posts

Nov 9, 2011

+1

WPA2 is the way to go. WEP is a poor joke, an old PC can crack WEP (as long as there is network traffic to sample) in about ten minutes (don't ask me how, I'm a white hat). WPA2 is backwards compatible with WPA (it steps down from AES encryption to TKIP) so there is no good reason not to use it. (PSPs only support WPA, not WPA2, but can sign on to a WPA2 hotspot through the backwards compatibility).

There are only three security protocols for wifi currently: WEP, WPA, and WPA2 (just for the record).

Message 6 of 7 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Nov 10, 2011

Thank you so much, potatobreath. You certainly know your stuff. I bookmarked your FAQ for any future problems I may have.

Message 7 of 7 (262 Views)
0 Likes