Dec 06 2013
By: gingerlane1 Splicer 82 posts

Tips on how NOT to get hacked

6 replies 516 views Edited Dec 6, 2013

I will explain some tips on how to keep your PSN acc safe.

1. Encryption: Encryption is the process of hiding any data that isn't meant to be seen by any foreign user/server. If you're using a network that has no security type, or has a weak security type, like WEP, then you are bound to be hacked. I can not mention how many times i've been able to hack into my neighbor's acc's because they had WEP. (I told them the first day how I did it, and how to prevent it). And especially, if you have no security key's for your network, ANY PS3 within range like your neighbor's can connect to your network, and use what's called a "Sniffer". A sniffer is a program that takes any data like passwords, usernames, creditcard info, and any other sensitive data being transfered.

HOW TO PREVENT THIS: Get a good security type. Like WPA/WPASK or WPASK2. And aswell, make a good password for that security type, it's called a security key, it's the password that someone must enter to be able to connect to your network.

2. Binary: For those of you who don't know what binary is, it's quite simple. It's encrypted data that is formatted into 1's and 0's so that someone would have to decrypt that line of code to be able to see what is typed or entered. Like for example: if I wanted to encrypt a message saying "Hello", it could become 10010. Someone would have to decrypt those 1's and 0's to get the letters. Which can take hours even days depending on how large the message is. (Messages can be numbers, letters, and symbols)

3. Penetration Testing: Penetration testing is seeing how strong your Network Security is. Firewall's wont always protect you from attacks. So it's essential to see how strong your network is from attacks, sniffers, and any data that may cause harm. I prefer BackTrack 5, and KISMET to do penetration testing.

Be smart, safe, and learn how to protect yourself.

Message 1 of 7 (516 Views)
Splicer
82 posts

Re: Tips on how NOT to get hacked

Dec 6, 2013

If you found this helpful, please kudo. If at anytime you need help configuring your network, have a question about network security, wondering why you can't connect to PSN, or need to ask me a question, PLEASE do not hesitate to message me or add me and chat with me.

Message 2 of 7 (510 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
18887 posts

Dec 6, 2013

Well, a good start, but binary isn't encryption. Binary is just the concept of 1's and 0's to transmit and store data. It's the most basic building block of transitor computing. There is simple math to convert binary to 10-base decimal or hexidecimal, and computers do this billions of times per second.

Message 3 of 7 (490 Views)
Splicer
82 posts

Dec 6, 2013

Binary can be encrypted by taking the data, converting it into binary, and encrypting the binarial data source, thus spreading through the data, so in a way, binary can be encrypted. Try looking into cryptology.

Message 4 of 7 (486 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Big Daddy
18887 posts

Dec 6, 2013

gingerlane1 wrote:

Binary can be encrypted by taking the data, converting it into binary, and encrypting the binarial data source, thus spreading through the data, so in a way, binary can be encrypted. Try looking into cryptology.

Well, in a way, yes, binary can get encrypted, but that encrypted data is still stored and sent over copper wires as binary data; it's just how computers work, how they communicate. 

For example; I can send a message "Hello, World" and when it's sent through the internet, it's sent as 010010000110010101101100011011000110111100101100001000000101011101101111011100100110110001100100.

But I can also send a message that says "Jr;;p. Ept;f", which still needs to be changed to binary before it's sent through the internet. The different being, Jr;;p. Ept;f doesn't really mean much to the receiving person, unless they know the "key". 

Whether your encrypting the text or the binary is just a matter semantics, and how it's being encrypted in the first place.

Message 5 of 7 (441 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Aug 13, 2014

another way would be to have a hotmail but a different password so incase you get hacked you can find it out but you would need to know the date of birth. Tip: Keep your privace for friend requests on friends of friends only. And keep it on friends to show trophies. Do not add strangers who you think can or hacking a game and do not trust them if they make you an offer note message them in a different language so they would know you do not understand what they are saying. you do not need to do the 1001=Hello as you can delete all the messages you've recieved or sent. One more thing if you get hacked make sure you have another account that has better things so you can play on that and not worry much of your account that got hacked plus you can wait until you get it back.

Message 6 of 7 (197 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
4011 posts

Aug 13, 2014

Locked.

Message 7 of 7 (193 Views)