Feb 19 2012
By: miahman98 First Son 7 posts

This is what I woke up to. Help please

18 replies 180 views Edited Feb 19, 2012

I'm having a problem connecting to the PlayStation network. Both of my PlayStation3,s ,( one is wired and the other is wireless), are not connecting to the Internet properly. When I run the network and Internet speed test it usually fails at PlayStation network area, and if it does succeed there it usually fails at the upload and download speed areas. And when it does succeed at the test my Internet speeds are way too slow to play any games online. If I do try to play it just kicks me from the network. I've already contacted my Internet provider and spent the whole day running through my network. All of my computers, cell phones, and tablets work fine with the Internet connection no problems at all. The only things that don't work properly are both of my PlayStation3's. We've concluded that it is not my modem, router, Internet connection or anything like that so we think it has to do with the PlayStation network. My Internet provider is AT&T and I'm using the 2wire modem/ router that can be used wired or wireless. I have checked all the wires and they all are working perfectly. The PlayStation's are not cooperating with my setup whether they are wired or wireless. This problem has occurred before and after the latest update as of February 17, 2012. I also haven't changed any of the settings in the PlayStation's, I woke up this morning and this is how both of them were acting.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 19 (180 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Re: This is what I woke up to. Help please

Feb 20, 2012

did you try to reset your rowder by unpluging it for a minute and then let it boot back up for a minute and then  try your ps3

Message 2 of 19 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
61 posts

Feb 20, 2012

sounds like the same problem i ran across here http://community.us.playstation.com/message/37440657#37440657 you're welcome to read my post and try my suggestions. However another alternate route to a network problem. Have you tried resetting your network on your ps3? if so i might suggest completely revamping your network and the network settings the ps3 currently has. Also you might try entering the password as a hexadecimal for some reason or another I had trouble with linux os with wep key passwords and it finally excepted hexadecimal. Probably won't work but for kicks you're welcome to try. (also if i'm not mistaken the xmb is linux based.) Hope this helps.

also to convert your password to hexadecimal you can search (google) "hexadecimal translator" punch in your password in a text area and under the hexadecimal area is the hexadecimal version of your password.

Message 3 of 19 (180 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Feb 21, 2012

I've heard nothing but bad things about 2wire when it comes to PSN. I heard it just cant handle that kind of bandwidth, and after a while it will just start refusing/dropping IP's.

Message 4 of 19 (180 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Feb 21, 2012

pandaclock, the XMB is not Linux based. It's not a wireless problem if miahman98 is having trouble with a PS3 that is wired directly to the 2Wire gateway too. Using WEP security is also a bad idea nowadays, because it can be easily broken. Use a minimum of WPA-PSK TKIP security. Ideally, go for WPA2-PSK AES. With WPA, you can use an easy to remember passphrase instead of a hexadecimal 13-character WEP key.

Message 5 of 19 (180 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Feb 21, 2012

Thank you all for trying to help but my problem does still remain. I'm starting to think it has something to do with the way my 2wire router and the PlayStation itself work together. Right now my connection speeds for uploading and downloading are all over  the map. It really doesn't seem to have any type of rhyme or rhythm to it. Right now my download speed is 172.1 Kbps , and my upload speed is 390.7 Kbps. Yes you read that correctly my upload speeds are faster than my download speeds.

Now I've decided to just go ahead and change my Internet provider hopefully this will remedy the problem. I'm going to end up using Metrocast Cable Internet for my new service. I just bought the Motorola surfboard extreme cable modem model number SB6121 and also my router is going to be the Netgear N600 wireless dual band router model number WNDR3400. I'm hoping with this upgrade to a much faster Internet provider and what I believe to be a huge upgrade in router and modem will provide me with a solution.

Let me know what you think hopefully I'm on the right path path, maybe someone here can provide me with some recommendations. Also let me know what you think about my modem and router combo.

Once again I really appreciate the help that has been offered to me.

Miahman

Message 6 of 19 (180 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Feb 22, 2012

You look like you're on the right path. Just make sure in Internet Connection Test you're getting NAT Type 2 and UPnP enabled.

Message 7 of 19 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2596 posts

Feb 22, 2012

miahman98 wrote:

Thank you all for trying to help but my problem does still remain. I'm starting to think it has something to do with the way my 2wire router and the PlayStation itself work together. Right now my connection speeds for uploading and downloading are all over  the map. It really doesn't seem to have any type of rhyme or rhythm to it. Right now my download speed is 172.1 Kbps , and my upload speed is 390.7 Kbps. Yes you read that correctly my upload speeds are faster than my download speeds.

Now I've decided to just go ahead and change my Internet provider hopefully this will remedy the problem. I'm going to end up using Metrocast Cable Internet for my new service. I just bought the Motorola surfboard extreme cable modem model number SB6121 and also my router is going to be the Netgear N600 wireless dual band router model number WNDR3400. I'm hoping with this upgrade to a much faster Internet provider and what I believe to be a huge upgrade in router and modem will provide me with a solution.

Let me know what you think hopefully I'm on the right path path, maybe someone here can provide me with some recommendations. Also let me know what you think about my modem and router combo.

Once again I really appreciate the help that has been offered to me.

Miahman

Just so you know, I think you are going to run into a problem a few weeks maybe even few months down the road.  When you buy your own modem, you are stuck with whatever FIRMWARE is on it, and would have to jailbreak it if you can somehow find a firmware update.  Only ISP's are allowed to flash any new firmware to a modem, go ahead go to the manufacturers website and try to find any modem's model #'s firmware.   It will tell you to contact your isp for the file, who will tell you that they can only update their own modems.

Upgrading Firmware on my Motorola Cable Modem

Published 03/22/2007 12:23 PM | Updated 11/04/2011 04:16 PM

Can I upgrade the Firmware on my Motorola Cable Modem?

We apologize about the inconvenience, but your Motorola modem does not support manual upgrades. Motorola is not allowed to control the upgrades of DOCSIS devices, per the standards specification. Any firmware or software changes must be implemented via the cable network. Your cable provider can update the firmware based on what they have approved for their network distribution. Because of that Motorola is not capable of installing firmware for cable modems. Please contact the cable operator to obtain information on upgrading firmware on the cable modem.

color tag 001

Message 8 of 19 (180 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Feb 22, 2012

I don't think I understand. What's the problem with the stock firmware on the modem, or ISP-issued firmware? How does it affect him?

Message 9 of 19 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2596 posts

Feb 22, 2012

Oh the stock firmware is fine, but then after a problem say in 3 months (arbitrary) they determine they can do the performance improvements or fix a problem with it, incredibly slow speeds or a problem with the connection needing to be reset way to much or if you get a phone call (if the modem is both your internet and phone) it knocks off the internet connection on pc's and other devices.

ISP's don't have every modems specific firmware ready to go, they only support the models they are using.  Just like you can't just slap a ps2 operating system onto a ps3 and get it to work, you can't just expect the different number of modems to all work on the same magical program otherwise there would be only one type of broadband modem.

color tag 001

Message 10 of 19 (180 Views)
0 Likes