First Son
7 posts

Re: This is what I woke up to. Help please

Feb 22, 2012

I got this from the Metrocast site.

MetroCast supports the use of DOCSIS 2.0 and 3.0 modems and non-complying standards will not operate with our network's performance standards. The following modem models are approved by MetroCast to help ensure the best possible Internet performance: DOCSIS 3.0 Motorola SB6121 modems; DOCSIS 3.0 Motorola SBG6580 wireless modems; and DOCSIS 3.0 ARRIS TG852 wireless modem/eMTAs. Customers may rent these devices from us, or obtain a modem from a third party.

I'm using one they have listed, I think I should be ok. I think? Let me know.

Miahman

Message 11 of 19 (50 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Feb 22, 2012

You should be covered then. The ISP would automatically push updates to your modem.

Message 12 of 19 (50 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2596 posts

Feb 22, 2012

You should be okay for at least a year or two, you did the right thing; OP looked up the information for the modem that the ISP supports, most of the time you just see someone buy something at best buy or radio shack and then complain when the speeds are not so great or the connection not so stable.

Much like IPv6, DOCSIS 4.0 is taking a long time to come out of CableLabs and will likely not be implemented before 2015, seeing as how much is infra-structure rearrangement is required for the speeds they are trying to get to every user on the hub, verizon is trying one way, the cable companies another both claiming that their way is the best way to go.

PS EDIT:  Just make sure you give the ISP the right MAC address, they might tell you to hook it up to your main pc/computer and then give them the MAC, however I found that some of my problems didn't clear up until I had my isp give me one of their modems, even though they still had me use the MAC address generated by my pc they had the MAC address from their own modem already in their system and me setting up my router with the pc cloned MAC address had me periodically getting disconnected.  However when we put the modems mac address into the router things cleared right up....while my friend a few houses down because of his different router had much better results using the pc MAC address cloned to his router.

color tag 001

Message 13 of 19 (50 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Feb 22, 2012

You all have been great. I'll have cable Internet in the next 24 hours and I'll let you all know if everything is working.

Thanks to all

Miahman

Message 14 of 19 (50 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
61 posts

Feb 22, 2012

potatobreath, if you wouldn't mind please show me something official stating that the xmb is not linux based. Also wpa is technically speaking better as far as security goes but if someone is trying to hack your network if they understand how to crack a wep key wpa shouldn't be a problem to crack either. The wep key isn't much security just keeps out inexperienced users. Also a biggers risk is heaviers security in a dense population. If I were browsing networks to hack. I think heavier security would beat out a lesser security. I suppose everyone has there own opinion though. Also something I think you misunderstand is you can use a passphrase with wep, but it can also be entered in hexadecimal form rather than being enterened in as the pass phrase.

Example: passphrase "mypassword" hexadecimal "6d7970617373776f7264" you are not required to change your pass phrase to the hexadecimal. you can keep your passphrase and use the hexadecimal version instead.

You are right about the wireless part. I must of misread or something I don't recall it stating there was a wired version.

Edit:

Thanks for pointing out the wired part potatobreath.

Anyways what I was getting at is in most cases and beings this is a wired situation the problem can rest with either the network settings on the ps3 usually fixed by resetting or the router which can cause quite a few issues as well and an easy fix is hard reset on the router. However if the problem is outside of the router on the wire the isp is responsible for you have to contact your isp for servicing. Also replacing the router with a different one might also solve the issue at hand or atleast tell you if the router may be the problem or not. In most cases outside of the network settings on the ps3 you can contact your isp for servicing to get your network fixed.

Message 15 of 19 (50 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Feb 22, 2012

pandaclock wrote:

potatobreath, if you wouldn't mind please show me something official stating that the xmb is not linux based.

Sony did derive parts of the XMB from other open source software. For example, the Marvell wireless driver was derived from the open source eCos embedded operating system. The UFS encrypted file system was derived from a flavor of BSD, likely FreeBSD. Sony also used some networking code from NetBSD. But the XMB OS is not Linux-based. Otherwise, they would reference the license for the Linux kernel and possibly an entire Linux distribution.

I'll have to reply to your WiFi comment later.

Message 16 of 19 (50 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Feb 22, 2012

pandaclock wrote:

Also wpa is technically speaking better as far as security goes but if someone is trying to hack your network if they understand how to crack a wep key wpa shouldn't be a problem to crack either. The wep key isn't much security just keeps out inexperienced users.

WPA-PSK TKIP is much more computationally intensive to crack than WEP. WPA-PSK TKIP does have a vulnerability that can be avoided by disabling Quality of Service on the router, or by switching to WPA-PSK AES instead. If you have a good passphrase, unauthorized users are not getting in.

Also something I think you misunderstand is you can use a passphrase with wep, but it can also be entered in hexadecimal form rather than being enterened in as the pass phrase.

Example: passphrase "mypassword" hexadecimal "6d7970617373776f7264" you are not required to change your pass phrase to the hexadecimal. you can keep your passphrase and use the hexadecimal version instead.

I know you can use a passphrase with WEP. However, you told miahman98 to enter a hexadecimal key instead of a passphrase to solve his PS3 wireless trouble. I recommended WPA-PSK for greater security and not have to use clunky hex keys at all.

If you are having troubles with 128-bit WEP passphrases, make sure you're using 13-character ASCII passphrases to generate the keys on your wireless router. If you don't use exactly 13 characters, then the software on the router has to use hashing to produce a valid WEP hex key of the proper length. Unfortunately, manufacturers and implementors might have different ways of hashing, which may produce incompatible WEP hex keys. That might be the problem you were having in your Linux distribution.

Better yet, use WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK and avoid WEP altogether. That's the point I was trying to make, but it's your network in the end. Cheers.

Message 17 of 19 (50 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Feb 23, 2012

Okay everybody the results are in.  I now have over 12mbps and everything is working fine. Although I was not able to pinpoint the cause of my problem, changing everything that has to do with my Internet did fix it. When it comes to most things in my life I'd rather fix it than replace it but when it comes to most of my Internet or computer problems I become Neanderthal Man and decide to smash. I guess there's still some things I just don't have the patience to learn.

I would like to say thank you to everybody here for taking the time out of their day to try and help me with this issue.

Thanks

Miahman

P.S. I think me and the 2wire modem/router might be taking a little trip to the range tomorrow.

Message 18 of 19 (50 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
61 posts

Feb 24, 2012

Thanks potatobreath I wasn't aware that the xmb isn't linux based and nice tips on networking xD. Also when I was talking about the entering the hex key I wasn't recommending miahman98 to change the original pass phrase just entering it as a hex key for testing purposes but I see how it didn't come off that way.

Glad to hear your network is working miahman98 xD

Message 19 of 19 (50 Views)
0 Likes