Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 11 2013
By: paneak First Son 5 posts

Spoken Racism not a concern?

10 replies 312 views Edited Jun 11, 2013

I recently called into the PSN support hotline to report terrible racist comments in chat during a game while playing black ops. I was essentailly told that it did not matter unless it is sent in a message...i hope this is not true...the players actually ruined the game for me that night...I knew just because I muted them they were still making those comments to other players...something needs to be done. I can provide gamer tags if a mod can help.

Message 1 of 11 (312 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
17708 posts

Re: Spoken Racism not a concern?

Jun 11, 2013

Probably the reason Customer service said it didn't matter is because without a log (a message or text chat) it's a case of hearsay. There is no physical proof of what was said. Messaging a Moderator is unlikely to have an impact either because again there is no way to verify the veracity of your claim.

Message 2 of 11 (309 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 11, 2013

That response is junk and inexcusable. IM starting to believe Sony themselves are racist I've personally reported more than 4 different ppl (in hHOME)
 for discrimination and tossing the N word around like it is nothing. Nothing has happen too them for it nothing 1 person in particular I've reported over 11 different times just for racism he stills has his acc.AND I DON'T WANNA HEAR I TAKES TIMES ITS BEEN 5 MONTHS,I even reported this person on the official reporting sites and still NOthing.do they pick and choose whoso ever report they will act on. All parties the break the code of conduct should be handled equally .Equally

Message 3 of 11 (302 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Jun 12, 2013
Unless there is proof, Sony cannot do anything. Otherwise, if somebody is a sore loser because they got their butt handed to them online, they could go and claim that so-and-so went and called them racist names repeatedly in order to get them banned.

There is simply not enough storage space in the world to record every single bit of audio in every single game played on a Sony run server. It's just not technically possible.

For the OP, the likely reason why the CS individual said that they couldn't do anything unless it was in a message is because Sony has zero control over the Black Ops server. Sony did not publish that game. (I believe Activision publishes Black Ops?). As a result, they can't do anything since the "offense" wasn't on their system. If a message is sent to you through the PSN network, then it is on their system and they will also have the proof via the sent message.

If you continue to have issues with a specific user, then you need to contact Activision since the game is run on the servers they moderate/own. If they refuse to do anything about it, then your "beef" should be with them. Just don't let the rage get to you and cause you to submit a message through the PSN that is offensive, because then you can be banned by Sony for doing that through THEIR systems.
Message 4 of 11 (293 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 12, 2013

sony and playstation are NOT racist just because you think they should have to prevent other players from being racist.. they are not relyable or responsible for what other players say. nor is activision, as in all games it says "online content not rated". if you have a problem with it then add the player to your block list and get over it. problem solved

Message 5 of 11 (284 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
15530 posts

Jun 12, 2013

It is difficult to monitor voice chat.  Unlike text messages, storing voice chats for later investigations requires a lot of storage, and is therefore expensive.  Searching voice chats for specific comments is time consuming because it is hard for computers to do automatically.  If the game is not a Sony game, then Sony has no access to the game communications anyway.  If a Sony employee cannot verify that the PSN user agreement or terms of service was violated, then no action will be taken.  That is Sony policy.  Sony doesn't have the resources to police every match of every online game; and never said that it would. It doesn't have the ability, or obligation, to police third-party games. If you don't like the community that plays a particular game, then you will have to play private matches only (if supported), find another game to play, or just put up with it.

GKP
Message 6 of 11 (275 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jun 12, 2013
These players additionally had racially charged emblems, and to top it off KKK clan tag.Those are plainly visible, I reported these as well. But in chat both of the offending players were bragging about how offensive their tags were and that they could not be banned.
Message 7 of 11 (268 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Jun 12, 2013

paneak wrote:
These players additionally had racially charged emblems, and to top it off KKK clan tag.Those are plainly visible, I reported these as well. But in chat both of the offending players were bragging about how offensive their tags were and that they could not be banned.

Then you need to contact the appropriate people at the company running the servers.  Sony does NOT run the Black Ops servers, and they do not have access to those servers.  Call of Duty : Black Ops is a game run by Activision.  In addition, that game came out in 2010, and many more versions of Call of Duty have been released since then.  As a result, Activision is unlikely to do anything about it due to the age of the game.  (They are notorious for basically ignoring anything to do with a game that isn't the most recent version).

So again, reach out to the moderators on the Activision servers and let them know about what you are seeing.  If Activision has any semblence of responsibility, they will attend to them.  Sony can do NOTHING as the users are not using their servers unless they send messages to people via the PSN Messaging system.

Message 8 of 11 (160 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jun 12, 2013

Sorry for mistating...this was BO2.

Message 9 of 11 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1541 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 12, 2013

There are plenty of devices you can use with a camcorder to record your game with the in game chat.

Then take the video and post on youtube(Keep video private for only you share the link to) then send the link to Activision.With a reason why your sending it.

Message 10 of 11 (111 Views)
0 Likes