Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 19 2013
By: ongre First Son 2 posts
Accepted Solution

Sony wallet credited 3 times by 50$, unauthorized transactions

176 replies 13064 views Edited Oct 19, 2013

So while I was sleeping my sony wallet was credited by a total of 150$ in 10 min with the credit card that was linked to my account. I didn't check yet if any other unwanted transactions were done on my VISA since I think the problem comes only from my sony account.

When I go to billing information on my ps3 my VISA doesn't appear anymore. If there was a breach on my account could the thief take the number or was it half protected like xxxx-xxxx-5478 ?

And how to cancel these 3 transactions and get my money back ?

Message 1 of 177 (13,064 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30406 posts

Re: Sony wallet credited 3 times by 50$, unauthorized transactions

Oct 19, 2013

Welcome to the PlayStation Community.

ongre wrote:

So while I was sleeping my sony wallet was credited by a total of 150$ in 10 min with the credit card that was linked to my account. I didn't check yet if any other unwanted transactions were done on my VISA since I think the problem comes only from my sony account.

When I go to billing information on my ps3 my VISA doesn't appear anymore. If there was a breach on my account could the thief take the number or was it half protected like xxxx-xxxx-5478 ?

And how to cancel these 3 transactions and get my money back ?

This sounds a little odd, one of the first things I would do, unless you have already done it of course is to change the password to your account, just to be on the safe side.

All successful purchased generate an email from Sony to the email address held on file, that email should show what the purchase was for, how much & when etc, was it literally just for funding, $150.00 was added but not spent is that correct?

I think you're going to have to call Sony about this one my friend, here's their number & also a link to some other options of contact open to you.

Good luck, if we can assist you further please do come back to this Thread, also do let us know how you get on.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/contact_options

Phone Icon

PHONE 800-345-SONY
Mon - Sun 6:00AM - 10:00PM Pacific

BRIT-KO

Message 2 of 177 (13,043 Views)
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 22, 2013

Alright I think I will further need your help here guys.

The money was just for funding and nothing was spend indeed. I received the 3 corresponding emails, all nice and official.

I called Sony and they told me " alright something strange happend in your account, and I'm sorry to outright tell you this but we won't reimburse it" and that the transactions were done from the internet ( kinda obvious since nobody broke into my house). Then he hilariously adviced me to keep the money anyways since maybe I'm going to spend it. Sorry to say this, but I'm already suspecting something fishy here from our beloved company. I told them I wanted to contest and they warned me they  will close my PS3 account, losing all my previous purchases and progress since I'm doing a payback.

I called my bank, and here in Belgium to contest a transaction all banks send you to a centralized siteweb called macarte.be. And guess what. 

Spoiler
ATTENTION !

Si votre contestation concerne les commerçants suivants :

PAYPAL, APPLE I-TUNES, SKYPE, GOOGLE, SONY ENT. NETWORK ou FACEBOOK, nous vous prions de bien vouloir prendre directement contact avec le service clientèle des sociétés concernées.

source : http://www.macarte.be/index/fr_FR/5641914/0000/Contestations.htm

That means that if I want to contest a transaction from one of those companies, I have to first contact their custormer service. Afterwards, if I didn't find a solution I'm pleased with, I have to comeback to this site having proof I contacted Sony and fill in a transaction contest formulary including a complaint to my local police. And guess what.

The customer service from Sony told me they don't send proof and that he has to write an email to a superior and they will contact me by email in some unknown delay.

Please,  what in the actual *beep* is going on ? Can I take legal action against this ?

Message 3 of 177 (12,974 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Community Manager
4703 posts

Oct 22, 2013

I jumped in here hoping I could help, but there's little I can do since you're in Europe, and these are the North American forums.  I'm not familiar with the rules and regulations that the SCEE Support team will have to adhere to, so any advice I give might be incorrect.

You might have better luck getting actionable advice from a Sony employee over at the SCEE Support forums: http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network-Technical/bd-p/bEN_TechSup_PSN

Wish I could help more.  Good luck.

Tempest_Fire | @strebeck
PlayStation Network Senior Community Manager
Sony Computer Entertainment America
Message 4 of 177 (12,914 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Oct 29, 2013

The same thing happened to me this afternoon.  Three transactions at the same time each for $50 deposited into my wallet without auhtorization.  My PS3 isn't even connected to the internet and hasn't been for weeks...

Message 5 of 177 (12,866 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6539 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 29, 2013

You PS3 does not have to be connected to the internet, nor turned on.  Account management, including funding your wallet, can be done from a web browser.

You should change your password immediately, and also set it to ask for a password at checkout.

** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **
Playstation Signature photo Signature-1.jpg
MVP Terms and Conditions ______(=^‥^=)______ Forum Rules of Conduct

Message 6 of 177 (12,854 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Nov 22, 2013

Something similar happened to me, first two $50 transactions, then a third for the remaining difference to achieve the limit of $150.

Message 7 of 177 (12,741 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 22, 2013

Me too, on hold for customer service! what the hell!!! Has Sony been hacked again!!!

Message 8 of 177 (12,732 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 22, 2013

This literally just happened to me 30 min ago. I was woken up by 3 emails back to back from both my ipad and iphone. I checked and sony was happy to inform me of my recent transfer of 3, $50 fund transfers to my wallet. I immediately changed my password then tried to contact sony. Of course no 24 hour customer service, even for fraud. I have sent an email detailing the situation, changed my pass, removed my credit card from my accounts, and called my CC company to dispute the charges (which i cant do until after they post, so im just out $150).

Sony had better have an excellent reason for this problem otherwise ill pay the $200 fee for a class action lawsuit, YOU ARE ALL FREE TO JOIN IN!

Message 9 of 177 (12,717 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Nov 22, 2013

I just woke up to this too... $150 into my PSN wallet without me doing it.

Message 10 of 177 (12,702 Views)
0 Likes