Oct 03 2012
By: XmURDeRx Uncharted Territory 1519 posts

So wait a second, why do Visa Debit cards not work?

4 replies 1854 views Edited Oct 3, 2012

It's money, right? I'm trying to add funds to my account via my RBC Visa Debit, which is for those who don't know, essentially a Visa card that's directly linked to my bank account. It's labeled that it is accepted anywhere that Visa is accepted. However, on PSN this is not the case. Keeps telling my info is invalid, clearly I'm not blind and all my info is correct. I've been using it for online purchases for months.

Why does it not work for PSN, does Sony not want my money?

Is there even a reasonable explaination to why this method is not accepted?

Message 1 of 5 (1,854 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Re: So wait a second, why do Visa Debit cards not work?

Oct 3, 2012

I'm having the same problem. It keeps telling me it's invalid although I have the info perfect and I've used my Visa debit card for years everywhere else. I just used it three days ago. I can't even redeem codes for my 30-day trial either cause I have to have a payment option and I don't own a credit card. All I have is this.

What's with this dollar charge, too? If my card is invalid, it doesn't make sense to be able to put a $1 hold on a card that supposedly doesn't work.

Message 2 of 5 (1,842 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39998 posts

Oct 4, 2012

MagicSEAWings49 wrote:

I'm having the same problem. It keeps telling me it's invalid although I have the info perfect and I've used my Visa debit card for years everywhere else. I just used it three days ago. I can't even redeem codes for my 30-day trial either cause I have to have a payment option and I don't own a credit card. All I have is this.

What's with this dollar charge, too? If my card is invalid, it doesn't make sense to be able to put a $1 hold on a card that supposedly doesn't work.

The $1.00 charge is the system checking your card, checking it' not been reported stolen, has sufficient funds, is still valid etc, the $1.00 charge will be returned to you in a day or so. It's worth mentioning that there will be a $1.00 charge for each time you try it.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri From 8am - 8pm PST
Message 3 of 5 (1,834 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Oct 4, 2012

Ok, I see. Thanks. Its more like six bucks now I think, heh.

Is there a main reason that debit cards have so much trouble not working, or is what you already said the answer? All I'm really trying to do is redeem the code for my 30-day free trial to PS+ but I'm just having so much trouble with entering the debit card info. Should I just say screw the trial and just get PSN or PS+ cards since I'll prob do that anyway?

Thanks in advance.

Message 4 of 5 (1,831 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1519 posts

Oct 4, 2012

You see, like I can go buy a 20 or 50 dollar PSN card too.. But why should I have to do that when I have something that should be working to purchase things online? It just doesn't make any sense.

Message 5 of 5 (1,818 Views)
0 Likes