Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 02 2012
By: Billy_Mays_Here1 First Son 6 posts

Slow connection speed while on Playstation Network

9 replies 894 views Edited Feb 2, 2012

I live in Hawaii and have the road runner turbo cable internet option, but am having extremely slow connection speeds when testing on my PS3.  Right now I am running my internet through my linksys wireless router and have download speeds of 15 mb and upload speeds of 1 mb.  Whenever I disconnect my router and connect my laptop directly to my internet modem I have the same download and upload speeds approx.  Whenever I do an internet connection test through my PS3 though I have much lower speeds.  My download speed has topped out over 10 tests at 3 mb with a 700kb upload speed.  On the majority of those tests though my download speed was approx 900 kb and upload of approx 500kb or so.  I have tested my speeds on my PS3 while going both wireless through my linksys router as well as connecting my modem directly to my ps3 and bypassing my router.  I have the same slow speeds either way.  I restored my default settings on my PS3 to ensure nothing in there was causing the problem.  The slow connection speeds make online gameplay very difficult.  What do I need to do to fix this problem? 

I do not have anything download by the way since I know that answer will be thrown around and my wireless is password protected, even though it does the same thing when i'm not using my router. 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (894 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Re: Slow connection speed while on Playstation Network

Feb 2, 2012

What modem are you using? The model number should be on a sticker underneath.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (894 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Feb 2, 2012

Moden Number 052008009

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (894 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Feb 2, 2012

Is there another number on the sticker as well? What brand of modem is it?

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (894 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2596 posts

Feb 2, 2012

Sorry that you are having trouble, the ps3 internet connection test is very unreliable for some reason sony doesn't really think it is important enough to be accurate.

I am probably wrong but I think it is just something about your location (and yes, most of us are probably like, hawaii...nice), I mean you are on an island almost in the middle of the pacific....I'm not sure how many hard wires they dropped into the ocean to connect your island chain with the continental US/ the rest of the world or if they use a series of satellite stations.

Is it possible for you to provide a little more information about the Modem: Make and Model example Motorola SBV6220 the model number you provided looks more like a serial number.

It is also possible that there is something amiss with your ps3's ethernet port.....if you can, bring it over to a friends house (carefully) and see if the problem persists or compare it to their ps3's results.

color tag 001

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (894 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 4, 2012

i'm having the same problem. up until a couple days ago the internet speeds were fine on my ps3. then all of a sudden they started getting really slow. i've contacted both my isp and sony. my isp said that everything checked out on their end, which makes sense because wireless works fine on my laptop. sony said to reset my modem/router (mine's an all-in-one), which i did. this solved the problem for a little while, and i was able to play online games like normal. but then the speeds got really slow again. i don't know what to do. i've been searching all day on the internet for any type of solution and found many suggestions, ranging from resetting my router (which clearly doesn't work) to very complex stuff concerning port forwarding and messing with the dmz. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (894 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Feb 4, 2012

I upgraded to Time Warner Cable Extreme today, on my laptop I get 29 mb download 5 mb upload but on my PS3 I am still only getting 6.8mb download and 1.9 mb upload.  This to me proves it's not the modem since the modem was changed out in order to upgrade to extreme.  It has to either be a PS3 problem or a problem with playstation network in general.  Anymore suggestions? 

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (894 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Feb 5, 2012

No longer matters after calling customer service and attempting here I purchased an xbox 360 instead maybe they can provide support for issues that arise. 

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (894 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Dec 11, 2012

I also live in Hawaii and I pay for 30mbps d/l and 5mbps u/l. On my laptop that connects wirelessly, I get 25-28mbps d/l and close to 5 u/l speeds. On my PS3 that is directly connected to my Time Warner SBG 6580 modem/router, the speed test only gets up to about 3-4mps d/l and very low upload speeds. I have tried everything...put the PS3 behind the DMZ, port forwarding, and connecting through a wireless router but nothing seems to work. I have pretty much given up on Time Warner customer support as everytime I call, they do something on their end and my PS3 connection magically increases but as soon as I hang up, it goes back to very low speeds.

I'm sure that it has to be somewhere out there who has had this  similar problem and either found a solution of went with a different company after realizing that TW is ripping people off.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (615 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 3, 2013

Have you contact any one from the PSN? Im having the same issues and i have the Ultimate service from Time warner Cable 100 Mbps. I did a test run with a Tech from Time Warner Cable and had greats Results with download at 92 download and 10 upload on my laptop. But when i did a test run on the PSN, it only gave me 7.2 download and 2.2 upload. Can you please help ?

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (370 Views)
0 Likes