Highlighted
Sep 09 2011
By: lightecojak First Son 29 posts

Really need help getting playstation network and online functionality

4 replies 31 views Edited Sep 9, 2011

So here's the lowdown. I live on a college campus that has wifi that only supports the n frequency and not b or g which is needed to get the playstation online. I don't have a modem or router in my townhouse and I need to figure out what I'm going to have to buy if I want to get online. I was hoping to buy as little as possible so I was wondering if a game adapter could eliminate the need for one or two of those things? So if anybody could please help me with the setup I would be extremely grateful.

Message 1 of 5 (31 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Re: Really need help getting playstation network and online functionality

Sep 9, 2011

I might as well try to clarify something. Even though there is no modem or router in my house we still get wifi so I was wondering if I bought something like http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/653104-REG/Trendnet_TEW_647GA_Wireless_N_Gaming_Adapter.html  ...      that would I still need to get a router or modem?

Message 2 of 5 (31 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39470 posts

Sep 9, 2011

The wireless they have only supports 'N', seriously, wow, I know 'N' is the way to go but it really surprises me that they wouldn't have an 'N' router that also supports 'B' & 'G' like mine here does.

As for your question, after a quick cursory look, yes it looks like that device will help you, but check it out as much as you can first, or at least make sure you can return it should it not work.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 3 of 5 (31 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Sep 9, 2011

Okay , but would I still need a router and modem if I was going to install this?

Message 4 of 5 (31 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Sep 9, 2011

Alright, I talked to the tech support guys on campus. They said I probably couldn't get it because it would likely be flagged on campus and shut down. So I'm going to have to use the ethernet connection in my room to go online. Anyway thanks for the input.

Message 5 of 5 (31 Views)
0 Likes