Apr 15 2013
By: pidgezero_one First Son 8 posts

[RESOLVED, FINALLY!] PSN has been disconnecting me for months.

[ Edited ]
8 replies 19358 views Edited May 16, 2013

Please read the entire post. I have tried pretty much every standard-fix for PSN connection issues, and not a single one has worked. Thanks in advance for any new suggestions.

I have a 60GB phat PS3 that I bought second-hand. I started playing PSABR back in December. My connection was fine, never dropped, it was a blast, etc. School picked up and I stopped playing PS3 for about 2 months. I started playing again, but my PS3 only rarely connects to PSN now, and when it does connect, the connection drops within seconds. This has been going on since February.

My PS3 ALWAYS succeeds IP address assignment and internet connection tests. It fails at connecting to PSN.

Here's what I've tried so far, none of which have solved the problem:

• Custom wireless connection on my PS3, manual IP address (192.168.0.235). I used ipconfig /all to find my default gateway to be 192.168.0.1 (NOT 192.168.1.1), my subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, and also to find my DNS servers.
  • I have tried my ISP's DNS servers, Google DNS, and this thread's suggestion of using your default gateway as your DNS.
  • I have disabled UPnP, am not using a proxy, have automatic MTU, and have Media Server disabled. On the rare occasion when I can connect, my NAT is Type 2. I have tried enabling UPnP and Media Server, it did not help.
  • My router is running in Mixed B/G mode so that my PSP-1001 can get online.
  • Ports 80, 443, 465, 983, 3478-3480, 3658, 5223, 8080, 10070-10080 are all forwarded to 192.168.0.235. I have contacted my ISP (Rogers) and they have told me that none of these ports are blocked.
  • DMZ is set up with 192.168.0.235 as the host.
  • For a while I had a dd-wrt router set up as a client bridge, to which my PS3 was connected via Ethernet. This did not fix the problem.
  • I have tried, on separate occasions, setting up my desktop and one of my laptops as PS3 proxies. This did not change anything.
  • I have restored my PS3 to factory settings. I have rebuilt the DB.
  • I have called Sony tech support twice.
  • I have cycled my router multiple times.
  • I've googled these problems for months now. It seems the only suggestions people ever seem to have in search results are the ones that have already been tried, and a real answer is never found. I'd like to know what more I can do to fix this problem that I have not already tried.

I constantly receive the following errors, whether or not I am trying to download PSABR updates:

• 807101FF

Other things to note:

• My desktop, two laptops, Nexus 7, 3DS, PSP-1001, Wii, and Blackberry Bold 9780 all connect to the Internet with no trouble. My PSP-1001 connects to PSN with no trouble.
  • I am in a living situation where I do not have physical access to the wireless router in my household (I rent a closed-off section of a house and wireless internet is included in my rent) and therefore am not able to change the location of my PS3 with respect to the location of the router. On top of that, my connection was working fine in December, and neither its nor the router's locations have changed. My PS3 has always shown a signal strength of 50%-55%, even when it was working fine. My PSP is near my bed where the signal strength is 27%, and it doesn't have these connection issues. Please don't suggest moving my PS3, signal strength is not the problem.
  • I live in West Toronto. My friend in Missouri has in the past set up his computer to act as a PS3 proxy for me. Using his proxy, I maintained a stable connection and have been able to complete downloads. This is not a sustainable long-term solution. If you know of any good public PS3 proxies, please tell me.
Message 1 of 9 (19,358 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
3821 posts

Re: PSN has been disconnecting me for months.

Apr 15, 2013

Well I'm going to hand it to you.  You've done the most but I seen a few things you could try changing.  First off, if you have DMZ enabled for the PlayStation 3 there is no need to port forward or have uPnP on.  Disable your Media  server, and to be quite honest with you.  Having a wireless signal that goes from 55% to 27% is bound to have a hic-up and I would imagine it's only noticable on the playstation.  Connecting to the PSN will tell requires (at all times) connection.  One little drop of connection and we notice it.  

I know you said not to tell you about that signal strength, but I'm going to spit it out anyway.  I wouldn't trust that what so ever.  Perhaps getting signal booster so you can get a higher signal strength?

Bambi-01us
Message 2 of 9 (19,341 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Apr 15, 2013

I have UPnP disabled at all times now, and I've tried DMZ with and without port forwarding, it doesn't make a noticeable difference. The Ps3 stays at around 50-55%, but the reason I said 27% is because my PSP is usually at 27-30% maximum and still does not get PSN disconnects, whereas the PS3 at 55% does get frequent PSN disconnects.

Message 3 of 9 (19,334 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
27550 posts

Apr 15, 2013

The PS3's wireless signal indicator is completely unreliable.  Just ignore it.  The actual signal could be less than 27% for all you know, and is probably closer to that than it is to 50%.  The fact that the PSP works does not prove that the PS3 should work.  They are different consoles with different System software.  The PSP is a mobile device, and assumes varying signal strength.  It is designed accordingly. The PS3 is a home console that is assumed to be stationary.  It assumes that the wireless signal will be consistent, and is less tolerant of variation. 

All of the things that you are doing with changing uPnP, DMZ, port forwarding, etc. are pointless.  Those things might be the problem if you were unable to connect to PSN at all.  If you are able to connect to PSN long enough to start a download, then none of those things could be the problem.  Once the download gets to 1%, you are past all of that. It hasn't made a difference, and I wouldn't expect it to.

There are a couple of things that could be causing a disconnect.  One is a marginal wireless signal, that occasionally dips to zero due to interference from other wireless devices in the same band.  Changing the channel that the router uses can sometimes help with interference, but you don't control your router. It probably does not matter.  The fact that the PS3 works with a proxy set, suggests that the wireless signal is not the problem anyway.  The other possibility is that something about the PSN traffic is causing a problem with the router firmware, and the router is resetting when the PS3 performs certain operations.  You can verify this by examining the router's system log. Most other devices would not notice this, because they reconnect to the network automatically without applications noticing unless they are actually transferring something.  Updating the router firmware can usually solve the problem, unless the router is too old; in which case upgrading it will solve the problem. When the PS3 uses a proxy, the data is sent differently, and it might not cause the router to behave the same way.

GKP
Message 4 of 9 (19,327 Views)
Fender Bender
2853 posts

Apr 15, 2013
Do you know if the owners changed routers? I had connection issues with the ps3 years ago and it was because I had a linksys router. I changed it to a dlink and the problem stopped. A lot of people have had problems with connecting to psn who own certain linksys routers.
Message 5 of 9 (19,324 Views)
First Son
8 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 28, 2013

gkpama00 wrote:

The PS3's wireless signal indicator is completely unreliable.  Just ignore it.  The actual signal could be less than 27% for all you know, and is probably closer to that than it is to 50%.  The fact that the PSP works does not prove that the PS3 should work.  They are different consoles with different System software.  The PSP is a mobile device, and assumes varying signal strength.  It is designed accordingly. The PS3 is a home console that is assumed to be stationary.  It assumes that the wireless signal will be consistent, and is less tolerant of variation. 

All of the things that you are doing with changing uPnP, DMZ, port forwarding, etc. are pointless.  Those things might be the problem if you were unable to connect to PSN at all.  If you are able to connect to PSN long enough to start a download, then none of those things could be the problem.  Once the download gets to 1%, you are past all of that. It hasn't made a difference, and I wouldn't expect it to.

There are a couple of things that could be causing a disconnect.  One is a marginal wireless signal, that occasionally dips to zero due to interference from other wireless devices in the same band.  Changing the channel that the router uses can sometimes help with interference, but you don't control your router. It probably does not matter.  The fact that the PS3 works with a proxy set, suggests that the wireless signal is not the problem anyway.  The other possibility is that something about the PSN traffic is causing a problem with the router firmware, and the router is resetting when the PS3 performs certain operations.  You can verify this by examining the router's system log. Most other devices would not notice this, because they reconnect to the network automatically without applications noticing unless they are actually transferring something.  Updating the router firmware can usually solve the problem, unless the router is too old; in which case upgrading it will solve the problem. When the PS3 uses a proxy, the data is sent differently, and it might not cause the router to behave the same way.

Very interesting, I'm starting to think it might be a PSN server-side issue since my Wii is right next to my PS3 and has never had connection problems like this. I'll see what I can do about the router firmware. I'm not sure how to see the router system log though.

Message 6 of 9 (19,289 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Apr 28, 2013

NinjaZeroEight wrote:
Do you know if the owners changed routers? I had connection issues with the ps3 years ago and it was because I had a linksys router. I changed it to a dlink and the problem stopped. A lot of people have had problems with connecting to psn who own certain linksys routers.

I don't think they have... but you know what, that's definitely a possibility since it is a Linksys router. I set up a wireless bridge with a modded D-Link router, but even that was losing internet connectivity every few minutes.

Message 7 of 9 (19,287 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

May 3, 2013

Update: Nothing is working. Not a single solution out there has helped with my problem.

Today I looked at my router log, but it didn't turn up anything valuable. I decided to give PS3 Proxy another shot, using my laptop (static IP, 192.168.0.30) as the proxy server. All was going well, until it decided to disconnect me at NINETY NINE PERCENT COMPLETION after 2 and a half hours of waiting. I've set up Windows Firewall to let connections through from the PS3.

I tried again, and now PS3 won't even show up in PS3 Proxy's server log. Sometimes it shows up when I do a connection test. Then when I try the same connection test again 5 minutes later after changing/doing absolutely nothing, nothing shows up in the log at all, and the PS3 says its internet connection has failed. PS3 Proxy is configured correctly, as is my PS3's proxy server settings.

I'm just about finished with this unbelievably buggy system/network and its hordes of completely useless and unhelpful error codes. There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever why I should have had to go through all this just to update a game which was working just fine only a few months ago.

Message 8 of 9 (19,262 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
8 posts

May 16, 2013

After 5 long months, it's finally staying connected.

I knew something was fishy when I brought my PS3 to my mom's house last week, where it was connecting with no difficulty to their D-Link router (mine is a Linksys).

I knew something was even fishier when I attempted tou pdate the router's firmware, and there had not been a new release since 2008, which was the version I already had.

So today my landlords, being the awesome people they are, replaced the house router with a D-Link. My problem is solved, and I'm able to stay online.

Anyone else out there tearing their hair out troubleshooting, hopefully this topic will help you.

Message 9 of 9 (19,233 Views)
0 Likes