Reply
Jun 27 2013
By: ossiecastro5 Ghost of Sparta 13508 posts
Offline

Questions about multiple accounts and multiple PS3 consoles

9 replies 1186 views Edited Jun 27, 2013

Ok, I am going to college in the August 25. I am currently saving up for a PS3 to buy while living on campus. Therefore, I shall be leaving my current PS3 at home.

 

Yet, I will be accessing my PSN (ossiecastro5) in college. I will be making a new PSN account for my brother before I leave.

 

If I leave downloaded games (PS Plus games and regular bought games) on my current PS3, can my brother access these games on his new account? 

 

I do not know if this is considered as gamesharing. I literally bought these games and downloaded them onto the PS3. I am simply just leaving these games on my current console. But I don't know if my brother can play with them if he makes an account of his own.

 

If I make his account as a sub-account to my current account, would it make a difference?

 

Also, my roommate in college is also a gamer. Yet, I do not know if he plays a PS3 or not. Is there a way to protect my account and my games in case he tries to access them?

Message 1 of 10 (1,186 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 04/05/2009
Offline
8172 posts
 

Re: Questions about multiple accounts and multiple PS3 consoles

[ Edited ]
Jun 27, 2013

Leave your account on your current PS3, then activate your current account on the second PS3. Both PS3s are now signed to your account and your brother, using his own account, can access your content.

It's legit because you own both PS3s.

And for data protection, get a big lockbox where you can stash your stuff.

Message 2 of 10 (1,151 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 07/27/2012
Offline
13508 posts
 

Re: Questions about multiple accounts and multiple PS3 consoles

Jun 27, 2013

Doppelgangergang wrote:

Leave your account on your current PS3, then activate your current account on the second PS3. Both PS3s are now signed to your account and your brother, using his own account, can access your content.

It's legit because you own both PS3s.

And for data protection, get a big lockbox where you can stash your stuff.


So, I just sign into both consoles at the same time? I'm already signed into my current console. It's just that I wont sign into my current console anymore because I'll be living in college. 

Message 3 of 10 (1,060 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 04/05/2009
Offline
8172 posts
 

Re: Questions about multiple accounts and multiple PS3 consoles

Jun 27, 2013

ossiecastro5 wrote:

Doppelgangergang wrote:

Leave your account on your current PS3, then activate your current account on the second PS3. Both PS3s are now signed to your account and your brother, using his own account, can access your content.

It's legit because you own both PS3s.

And for data protection, get a big lockbox where you can stash your stuff.


So, I just sign into both consoles at the same time? I'm already signed into my current console. It's just that I wont sign into my current console anymore because I'll be living in college. 


You don't need to sign into your current console once you leave. As long as it stays on your current console, your brother can access the content you have.

Message 4 of 10 (891 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 07/27/2012
Offline
13508 posts
 

Re: Questions about multiple accounts and multiple PS3 consoles

Jun 27, 2013

Doppelgangergang wrote:

ossiecastro5 wrote:

Doppelgangergang wrote:

Leave your account on your current PS3, then activate your current account on the second PS3. Both PS3s are now signed to your account and your brother, using his own account, can access your content.

It's legit because you own both PS3s.

And for data protection, get a big lockbox where you can stash your stuff.


So, I just sign into both consoles at the same time? I'm already signed into my current console. It's just that I wont sign into my current console anymore because I'll be living in college. 


You don't need to sign into your current console once you leave. As long as it stays on your current console, your brother can access the content you have.


How do I make a console as a current console for an account? I know that an account can have 2 consoles. But how do I do that?

 

And if my brother makes his own account, he can still use it? 

Message 5 of 10 (741 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 04/05/2009
Offline
8172 posts
 

Re: Questions about multiple accounts and multiple PS3 consoles

[ Edited ]
Jun 27, 2013

ossiecastro5 wrote:

And if my brother makes his own account, he can still use it? 



Yes, though he must create another user profile on the PS3 (instructions here) and leave the existing one untouched.

 


ossiecastro5 wrote:

How do I make a console as a current console for an account? I know that an account can have 2 consoles. But how do I do that?

 


Just start your new console, sign in with your existing email and password, then the new system (along with your old one) will be automatically attached to your account.

Message 6 of 10 (477 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 07/27/2012
Offline
13508 posts
 

Re: Questions about multiple accounts and multiple PS3 consoles

Jun 27, 2013

Doppelgangergang wrote:

ossiecastro5 wrote:

And if my brother makes his own account, he can still use it? 



Yes, though he must create another user profile on the PS3 (instructions here) and leave the existing one untouched.


Would it be easier if I make it as a sub-account? I've heard those are like parent accounts. Can I at least use my account for when I come home for breaks?

Message 7 of 10 (453 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 05/22/2013
Offline
32 posts
 

Re: Questions about multiple accounts and multiple PS3 consoles

Jun 27, 2013

Let me see if i can answer all the questions you may have. 

 

When you download content onto a ps3, it is tied to your account and a maximum of 2 consoles.  While your account is still on one ps3 and not deleted or deactivated, you may login to a separate account and use any content that any user has on that console.  For example lets say I download Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater for my console, i can then sign into a NEW account tied to MY PSN on my wifes console and download the content, with my wifes console, i dont have to login for her to play the game online with me on the console.  Yes you can sign into any of your accounts, any time, any where, on any ps3 console. You do not need to be signed into your account for your brother to use the content you have on your current console. Make sense?

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2010/03/17/socom-ii-hd/ lets bring back socom 2

"Things turn out best, for those who make the best, of the way things turn out"

"The only thing you can do, is make the best out of everything life throws at you"

"Weather you think you can, or you think you cant, youre right"

The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred.
Soichiro Honda
Message 8 of 10 (296 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 04/05/2009
Offline
8172 posts
 

Re: Questions about multiple accounts and multiple PS3 consoles

Jun 27, 2013

ossiecastro5 wrote:

Doppelgangergang wrote:

ossiecastro5 wrote:

And if my brother makes his own account, he can still use it? 



Yes, though he must create another user profile on the PS3 (instructions here) and leave the existing one untouched.


Would it be easier if I make it as a sub-account? I've heard those are like parent accounts. Can I at least use my account for when I come home for breaks?


You can use your account on any PS3 once it's activated.

 

It's also suggested you create a master account for your brother as sub accounts create a LOT of headaches down the road (when your brother wants to move out, for example) as they are non-promotable.

Message 9 of 10 (233 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Highlighted
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 07/27/2012
Offline
13508 posts
 

Re: Questions about multiple accounts and multiple PS3 consoles

Jun 27, 2013
Message 10 of 10 (227 Views)
Reply
0 Likes