Nov 09 2011
By: Phillyblunz Keyblade Wielder 9569 posts

Question on system activations.

9 replies 61 views Edited Nov 9, 2011

Ok so on the 18th we will be restricted to only 2 active consoles for new purchases.

They say this will not effect content from prior to the 18th.

Does anyone know how they plan to do this?

How can you deactivate a system, but still leave all the before 18th content active?

Example:

- I buy game x on Nov 19th 2011, I activate it on two consoles which have tons of content from prior to the 18th.

- Now I want to activate the new content on PS3 #3, I must deactivate one of the other consoles,

- What happens to the active content from before the 18th on the deactivated consoles?

Seems to me you would lose all the active content on the deactivated console regardless of when it was purchased.

Does anyone know how this will be handled?  Are we really losing 3 active consoles for all content regardless of purchase date?

The only solution I see is never buy anything on PSN after the 18th, or else give up 60% of the access we have with current content.

I really want to hear from those with more then 2 PS3's only, of course if you only have 1 or 2 PS3's you are not affected by this and posting here is just flaming/trolling.

Please respect this thread and only reply if you have something to contribute, such as what you will do, or what Sony has stated.

Thanks all.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Message 1 of 10 (61 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Support
6747 posts

Re: Question on system activations.

Nov 10, 2011

Hey Philly -

So, from my understanding, anything you've already purchased will be fine.

My personal advise, would be not to deactivate any of your consoles, call CS and explain your situation - chances are they'll allow you to use 3 consoles if you can prove that you're not using them for anything dodgy.

Here's the link to the blog post about it: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/11/04/upcoming-change-to-playstation-3-and-psp-game-content-on-p...

There are a few comments in there that may prove to be helpful!

Message 2 of 10 (61 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Support
6747 posts

Nov 10, 2011
Message 3 of 10 (61 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9569 posts

Nov 24, 2011

The problem comes when you activate a thrid ps3 for new purchases.

This requires you to deactivate a previous PS3, which will def have older purchases on it.

Once this PS3 is deactivated what will still work on it?  Not a thing.  Not new purchases, not old ones.

They dont let you deactivate the game, you have to deactivate the entire console, rendering it useless.

It would be awesome if you are correct though about keeping 3 activations by appealing to customer service,

sadly in my experience the people who answer the phone usually know much less about the issues i phone about then me.

Plausable deniability seems to be the trend.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Message 4 of 10 (61 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18724 posts

Nov 24, 2011

Phillyblunz wrote:

The problem comes when you activate a thrid ps3 for new purchases.

This requires you to deactivate a previous PS3, which will def have older purchases on it.

Once this PS3 is deactivated what will still work on it?  Not a thing.  Not new purchases, not old ones.

They dont let you deactivate the game, you have to deactivate the entire console, rendering it useless.

It would be awesome if you are correct though about keeping 3 activations by appealing to customer service,

sadly in my experience the people who answer the phone usually know much less about the issues i phone about then me.

Plausable deniability seems to be the trend.

According to this guy you can have 3 activated. The problems you describe may occur if you deactivate the try to reactivate.

They aren't changing any of that. You can still have all the content you purchased before the 18th on 5 systems. You just can't have more than 5 activated now.

More than 5? I was never talking about more than 5 ;-) And it was never possible to have more than 5 activated, even in the past. So I guess you meant to say "more than 2"?

But as I said, by now I have officially activated 3 systems.

So at the moment it looks like everything is fine exept the PS3 throws a faulty error message when activating the third console. To make it sure I just double checked it: I can start my downloads on all 3 now activated consoles.

Message 5 of 10 (61 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18724 posts

Nov 24, 2011
Message 6 of 10 (61 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
17748 posts

Nov 25, 2011

Phillyblunz wrote:

How can you deactivate a system, but still leave all the before 18th content active?

You don't.  That is not part of the deal.

The deactivation process has not changed.  When you deactivate a console, all of the license files are deleted, and none of the Playstation Store content installed on it by the deactivating PSN account will work after that.

If you had more than two PS3s activated before 11/18, they remain activated.  Any content that you purchased before November 18th can still be downloaded to all consoles that you had activated before 11/18, which could be up to five.  That doesn't mean that you have the right to download that content to any five consoles that you want forever, although the announcement could be interpreted that way.  You won't be able to activate any new consoles as long as you have two or more already activated, even if you deactivate one now.  Over time Sony wants to get everyone down to only two activated consoles of each type.

The real question is how Sony would limit activations of content purchased after 11/18/01 to two consoles, given that activations were never tracked on a per item basis.  My guess is that they can't.  If you buy new content, you can probably download it to all of your activated consoles, even if you have more than two now.  But you will only have more than two consoles activated if you don't deactivate any.  Each console you deactivate will just reduce the number that you can have activated (for games), until you have only one left. This will apply to all games and add-ons, regardless of when they were purchased. For video it makes no difference because that was always limited to just one PS3.

GKP
Message 7 of 10 (61 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Jan 8, 2012

I started a petition at change.org to ask Sony to revert back to the original 5 activations limit. Please sign the petition here: http://www.change.org/petitions/chairman-sony-computer-entertainment-of-america-restore-the-original...

Message 8 of 10 (61 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 4, 2012

Im sorry to say, but you are waisting your time with petitions. Is because of ppl abusing the 5 activations limit that they changed it to only 2. Lots of ppl just used to share and trade dlc and games with friends this way, when thats was not meant to be done.

If your console breaks up and you dont have any more activations left, you just have to call Playstation Support guys so they can deactivate ur broken console so you can download everething again to the new console.

Message 9 of 10 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
154 posts

Jul 7, 2012
Technically, if you own 3 ps3 systems you can easily have your content youve recently purchased, even beyond that of the Nov. 17th/18th cutoff date. You still have up to 5 consoles for any content purchased up til Nov. 17th. For content Purchased on 18th to Current, you just have to deactivate 1 system to download to another system. Now the technicality is that you can only be signed into the psn with your account with 1 system at a time (this rule apparently does not apply to the ps Vita, as I have personally been able to sign into psn with the Vita and my ps3 simultaniously). At this point I would suggest keeping the systems you would use the most often activated, and when intent to play on a different console you would need to deactivate one of the primarys for a secondary. This allows the Honest to Continue accessing their content on their ps3 consoles, and the Dishonest from being able to play on someone elses system.
Message 10 of 10 (47 Views)
0 Likes