Jul 10 2013
By: fedya1997 First Son 1 posts

Question about PS One Classics

2 replies 157 views Edited Jul 10, 2013

Why does Sony Computer Entertainment America is credited as publisher of every single PS One Classics game? I need a clear answer, because i can't just understand, for examle, how Sony can publish Capcom's Resident Evil or Konami's Metal Gear Solid. These games aren't theirs. And on European PSN Store everything is correct: original publishers (Capcom or Electronic Arts, for example) are credited as publishers of PS One Classics.

Message 1 of 3 (157 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Re: Question about PS One Classics

Jul 10, 2013
It likely depends on local laws with regards to both publishing rights, and who is to be claimed as the "publisher" of such items.

Just as an FYI, the PS One Classics you see are not the same code as the actual games themselves. These games have been re-coded to function on the PS3. (Generally, for the PS1 Classics, the re-coding is simply packing the original game within an emulator).

As Sony is the company performing this task of porting the games into a format that is executable on the PS3, they technically can be considered the publisher. Again, this all depends on what the local laws state.

I'm guessing that in the EU the convention is that the original creator of the work is to be credited as the publisher no matter how much additional work is done to make that work usable on a different system. I'm not certain about that as I am not a lawyer, but that is a logical explanation I can think of.
Message 2 of 3 (154 Views)
Highlighted
MVP Support
15275 posts

Re: Question about PS One Classics

Jul 10, 2013

fedya1997 wrote:

Why does Sony Computer Entertainment America is credited as publisher of every single PS One Classics game? I need a clear answer, because i can't just understand, for examle, how Sony can publish Capcom's Resident Evil or Konami's Metal Gear Solid. These games aren't theirs. And on European PSN Store everything is correct: original publishers (Capcom or Electronic Arts, for example) are credited as publishers of PS One Classics.

Interesting point, however none of this will change your gaming experience.

** Use a unique password for your PSN ID - one you don't use anywhere else **
** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **

”Signature-1.jpg”
MVP Terms and Conditions ________________(=^‥^=)________________ Forum Rules of Conduct
========== SONY Customer Service 800-345-7669 or Link to Live Chat ==========

Message 3 of 3 (124 Views)
0 Likes