Highlighted
Jul 07 2011
By: fleinn Fender Bender 4131 posts

Question: Why does Sony not think lag is a problem?

8 replies 69 views Edited Jul 7, 2011

To be as brief as possible: Lag is a major concern for any developer of an online title. This has been the case since Quake, and before that. After this, an indicator for how your connection is towards the server has been implemented in any game. And servers have been set up that ensure a playable ping. As games are developed with more sophisticated animation playback, the maximum allowed lag has been incorporated into game-design, so that the game would actually work in a real world network context (instead of just play beautifully on the press-events).

Even Sony's own large online titles (Killzone 2, MAG, Uncharted 2, LBP) were made with client filtering and measures in place to ensure proper gameflow near release. But these solutions were actually removed at launch-time, since apparently Sony believes lag and unplayable games is a smaller problem than that people can connect to the game instantly.

Removing these solutions also of course puts out the red carpet for lag-switching -- which again Sony appears to believe does not exist.

Why does not Sony think lag that makes a game unplayable is a problem? Personally, it makes it unlikely for me to ever buy a Sony title - not in the least because several of these titles were demoed in a completely different way than they were eventually sold. It also makes it unlikely for me to recommend a Sony online title to friends - because I know they are not good enough.

So how come Sony thinks lag is not a real problem?

Message 1 of 9 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
214 posts

Re: Question: Why does Sony not think lag is a problem?

Jul 7, 2011

well if they dont it is time to wake up and smell the coffee

Message 2 of 9 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
258 posts

Jul 7, 2011

That would be a question to ask Sony. I for one wish that they would listen to the consumer about these issues, but I doubt they ever will. It would make everyone happy and more likely to buy the upcoming systems and games. I would rather a game take a little longer to connect like you said than have it lagging all the time.

Come On!!

Message 3 of 9 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
258 posts

Jul 7, 2011

Folgers or Maxwell House?

Come On!!

Message 4 of 9 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4131 posts

Jul 7, 2011

..well, since it's already killed off Killzone 2, Resistance, Uncharted 2, LBP (almost - sure put a huge dent in the actual players online, even if the levels were still made.. the entire "seamless online and offline" thing fell flat), MAG, Killzone 3.. and without a doubt Uncharted 3 as well ... not sure they really are going to even make a token offering.

Basically, they've just ignored the problem completely, probably insisting that it's more trouble dealing with it than not doing anything. Even if it causes serious problems with actually selling their titles, or keeping people online playing them.

I want to know why.

Message 5 of 9 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2613 posts

Jul 7, 2011

Well they have to pay for that stufff somehow, and with a free online service it is difficult to get any money. Thats why they made Plus and later the Online Pass. 

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Message 6 of 9 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4131 posts

Jul 7, 2011

..well.. in this case, we're talking about p2p solutions. That already were made. We tested them in the betas, they worked. But they were removed later, because apparently three guys on a forum threatened to sue if they couldn't play the game.

The online costs weren't an issue here. Never were. In fact, Sony happily runs stats-servers or feeds, along with web-sites with solutions that are very bandwidth heavy without any complaints. Could mention things like the MAG broadcasts and the web-page with GNN, etc. That costs money. Removing a finished solution from the full game after it's released - that costs money.

Message 7 of 9 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4131 posts

Jul 8, 2011

So.. how many of these guys do you think MAG can take before people move on to a different game?

Note that absolutely nothing is done to stop this - there has never been any effort to catch anyone cheating, to even remotely discourage it.

Is that a clever business-decision?

Message 8 of 9 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4131 posts

Jul 11, 2011

So,,

Why does Sony think protecting cheaters, and putting out the red carpet for cheaters - is good for business?

Why does Sony think it's better to allow lag than make the games play smoothly?

Message 9 of 9 (69 Views)
0 Likes