Jan 06 2012
By: Deeds_Pacino First Son 4 posts

Purpose of DNS in a PS3

2 replies 146 views Edited Jan 6, 2012
  • What role does DNS play in online gaming? I know what DNS is, and the function however I am curious to know if DNS is necessary for online gaming, and more specifically if both my primary and secondary DNS' are poor in quality, will it impact online gaming, such as MW3?
Message 1 of 3 (146 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Re: Purpose of DNS in a PS3

Jan 6, 2012

Your ps3 still needs to be able to resolve domain names in order to talk to the authorization servers, game servers, etc, so still needs to ask a DNS to resolve these names. I shouldn't think the quality of your DNS matters especially. Once you get into the actual gameplay I presume the system is only talking to some IPs that its been made aware of, at that point. But I assume it depends on the implementation of the game.

If you are worried about the quality of your DNS servers, you could try google's DNS servers out.

Message 2 of 3 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Re: Purpose of DNS in a PS3

Jan 6, 2012

Will it impact online gaming? Maybe, but it would depend on the game.

Domain Name Service translates a readable name like google.com to 74.125.127.103. Most of the people you are connecting to don't have domain names -- they have IP addresses. However, there may be routers or gateways in between that do have domain names that need to be resolved. Other games with dedicated servers may have domain names that need to be resolved before you can connect to them.

If in doubt about your ISP's DNS servers, then try the Google Public DNS or OpenDNS servers. Are you writing an assignment?

Message 3 of 3 (146 Views)
0 Likes