Jan 09 2012
By: wltsf First Son 2 posts

Problem obtaining IP adress on PS3

2 replies 159 views Edited Jan 9, 2012

I have checked many of the other threads on this topic and have tried all the solutions that have been offered with no success so I though I would share my specific situation.

When I first bought my PS3 I was able to connect it to the internet and play games online.  About a month ago I moved my PS3 to another room in my house and ever since then I have been unable to successfully connect to the internet wirelessly.  Now when I enter all the setting manually, name of network and WPA key(which I am absolutely positive is correct), I get the message "The key information exchange timed out. The wpa key you entered my be incorrect."  I am now very frustated with this seemingly easy-to-fix problem. 

Also, my computer and phone connect with my wireless network no-problem.  I have tried to disabled wireless security in the routers settings and when trying to connect with my PS3, obtaining ip times out so I am almost certain that the problem is not with my WPA but with my router settings.  Im not sure what to do anymore so if anyone has any suggestions, router settings or anything I appreciate the help in advance.  

Router and Setting:

2wire 3800HGV-B wireless router:

authentication type: WPA-PSK (TKIP) and WPA2-PSK (AES)

Wireless mode: 802.11b/g

Message 1 of 3 (159 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
29410 posts

Re: Problem obtaining IP adress on PS3

Jan 9, 2012

There is nothing in your post that convinces me that the PS3 isn't simply too far from the wireless router now.  The fact that your phone and computer still work, even in the same room, doesn't necessarily mean that the PS3 should work.  Different devices can get different wireless signal strength in the same location.  There is no easy way to see the wireless signal strength on a PS3.  How strong is the wireless signal reported by the phone and computer?  If you move the PS3 back into the same room as the router, does it work then?  If so, then the problem is obviously signal strength. 

You can address signal strength issues by using a Wi-Fi network extender.  Netgear makes one that you can find at any Best Buy.

GKP
Message 2 of 3 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
2 posts

Re: Problem obtaining IP adress on PS3

Jan 9, 2012

Your right, signal strength for my wireless network read 100% from my ps3 so I assumed that the signal was not the issue.  However, I just moved it closer to my router and it works.  Seems that the PS3's ability to gage signal strength is not very accurate.  Thanks for the response GKP

Message 3 of 3 (159 Views)
0 Likes