Highlighted
Feb 09 2012
By: Braham First Son 4 posts

Please Allow Master Accounts to give a sub account ability to accept TOS changes!

7 replies 730 views Edited Feb 9, 2012

So I have had a 20gb System since the PS3 launched. It's still running great, with a bigger harddrive now. My brother lived with me while he was in college. So he started out with a sub-account at launch. Sub account not sub-user.

Much has changed since the launch in the PSN interface and landscape, and my brother lives in a totally different town and has his own PS3 now, still using the same PSN ID, with all his trophies and his level 11 status and his multiple platinums or whatever. I'm 31yo and he's 25yo now.

But whenever there is a TOS update, he cannot go online on his own PS3 until I log in first and accept the TOS on my machine.  It SUCKS. We are adults, and he has a TON of playtime on his PSN ID that, from what I read, he'd have to give up and start over from 0 with a brand new account.

I don't care about master/sub promotion or all that, just give me the option, as the master, to allow a sub account to accept TOS changes. That solves everything for me and him, and still gives the master total control! 

Every time there is a TOS change, I get a phone call. He cannot do anything online until I go home and install the update and accept the new TOS. It's rediculous and highly annoying.

Thanks for the effort and your hardwork in all the cool stuff you put out, Sony -- from a lifetime playstation player.

-Brad

Message 1 of 8 (730 Views)
MVP Support
31427 posts

Re: Please Allow Master Accounts to give a sub account ability to accept TOS changes!

Feb 10, 2012

Forget about it.  What you are asking for makes no legal sense.  Sub-accounts are supposed to be used only by minors, or more technically, persons that have not reached the age of majority.  In the US, and most countries, minors cannot be a party to a binding legal contract.  That means the agreement of a minor to a legal contract is worthless, because it cannot be enforced in court. There is no point in Sony having a sub-account holder agree to the terms of service, or anything else.  The agreement doesn't obligate the sub-account holder to do anything, and doesn't grant Sony any additional legal rights.  It is therefore pointless.  Your authorization to allow the sub-account holder to accept the terms of service is equally worthless to Sony.  It doesn't change the law.  Sony wants you to accept the agreement on behalf of the sub-account holder, which must be a person in your legal custody (not a sibling, unless you have been appointed by a judge to be the legal guardian of your sibling).  Nothing else is of any value in the case of a minor.

When you create a sub-account, you are responsible for it for as long as it is in use.  You can't transfer responsibility for the account to anyone else, including the account holder himself when he becomes an adult.  When a sub-account holder reaches the age of majority, he has the option of creating a master account for himself.  If he chooses to continue to use the sub-account, he remains subject to the same restrictions on that account that were in place when he was a minor; except that the account may no longer be prevented from playing age-restricted online games.

That's the way it is, and it would make no sense for Sony to change it. Sony could technically check the age of the sub-account holder to see if he is old enough to agree to the terms of service himself, but that would encourage adults to continue to use their sub-accounts from when they were minors, and Sony doesn't really want people to do that.

Why did you create a sub-account for him anyway? You weren't supposed to.  If your brother is 25 now, then he was over 18 when the account was created.  You weren't even allowed to create a sub-account for him, and there was no need to.

GKP
Message 2 of 8 (730 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Re: Please Allow Master Accounts to give a sub account ability to accept TOS changes!

Mar 15, 2012

I only partly agree with the OP, the difference is that the master shouldn't have an option to let the sub agree to the ToS, he/she (or the sub, as he/she is 18+) should have the option to promote a 18+ sub account to a master account.

When a sub account holder is over 18 years of age, he/she is old enough to agree to a binding legal contract, and thus the master account holder should be able to let the sub account holder upgrade to a new master account. The sub account holder would of course have to agree to the ToS in order for the promotion to be completed, but who wouldn't do that?

Optionally, they could just send the offer to the sub account holder, as he/she can make independent agreements without the concent of the master account holder.

BTW, when minors make accounts and lie about their age (which they have to if they don't want to lose everything when they switch to a master account), they cannot technically be held responsible for anything that happens on their account until they turn 18. In turn, this means the whole master/sub account system is fuc-ked up (since honest minors are punished by losing everything and dishonest minors are not legally responsible, thus they cannot be punished, for their actions on PSN), and Sony should really do something about it.

gkpama00 wrote:

That's the way it is, and it would make no sense for Sony to change it. Sony could technically check the age of the sub-account holder to see if he is old enough to agree to the terms of service himself, but that would encourage adults to continue to use their sub-accounts from when they were minors, and Sony doesn't really want people to do that.

GKP

Thing is, Sony do check the age. If not, I wouldn't be granted access to 18 rated content when I turned 18, but I did, so they do. The problem is that they do not offer the sub account holder a chance to upgrade his/her account (the offer could be given either the master or sub, I don't care, as long as there is an offer). True, PSN will have more accounts, but the previous sub accounts are abandoned, so Sony gains nothing from it, except pis-sed users who spent a lot of time getting trophies and finishing DLC, only to have it taken away.

Message 3 of 8 (730 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
31427 posts

Mar 18, 2012

There is no simple way technically for Sony to promote a sub-account to a master account.  They are different types of account, and PSN isn't designed to allow accounts to be transformed in any way.  Sony would have had to think of that when PSN was first built.  It would be expensive and risky to try to change it now.

GKP
Message 4 of 8 (730 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

May 19, 2012

Whoever designed the PSN and didn't think that users would want to upgrade to a full account when they turned 18 was severely lacking in common sense.

Message 5 of 8 (730 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

May 21, 2012

i suffer form the same problem and i wish it would change cuz it still affects me on my psvita too........lame

Message 6 of 8 (730 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
31427 posts

May 26, 2012

The original PSN didn't have trophies, portable game downloads, or portable DLC downloads.  At that time, there wasn't much reason to continue to use the same account after you became an adult; and the reasons that did exist were mostly things that Sony didn't want to encourage anyway, such as minors playing M-rated video games. There was no way for the designers to predict what features would be added to PSN years in the future, or how the use of those features would be affected by design decisions made years in the past.  It's only obvious in hindsight, but you can't change the past.

GKP
Message 7 of 8 (730 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 10, 2013
So, what? Sony didn't think people, oh I dunno, GROW UP? Seriously? X-bunk even allows it. For the love of god are minors minors forever? This is just another in the long line of failures in the PSN.
That's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
Message 8 of 8 (245 Views)