Jul 23 2013
By: omeganess1 First Son 4 posts
Accepted Solution

Playstation3Co - scam?

[ Edited ]
7 replies 188 views Edited Jul 23, 2013

I recently received a message from the user Playstation3Co, claiming to be from "Sony Entertainment Company." The message basically said, 'to make sure you are are actually omeganess1, send us your login information.' I find this very suspicious, because for one, they did not give a reason for suspicion of not being me. I also tried to search on Google, the playstation website, and the forums looking for anything about this user and found nothing. Although I may not know much about where to search for users, I think I would have at least found something. I seriously think this is a scam, but want to make sure.

Edit: Also found a few grammatical errors.

Message 1 of 8 (188 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
28819 posts

Re: Playstation3Co - scam?

Jul 23, 2013

Yes.  It is a scam.  That user is trying to steal your account. No one from Sony will ever ask you for your sign-in information.  They don't need it to do anything that they are authorized to do.  Also, Sony employees have special red logos next to their online ids, so it is easy to tell who is in an official capacity, and who is not. 

GKP
Message 2 of 8 (181 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9865 posts

Jul 23, 2013
This message is not real, you should report it to Sony, impersonating a Sony employee is also a bannable offence. For future reference, Sony will never ask for your log in info, and any Sony PSN message will have a Sony logo on it by the name.
Message 3 of 8 (180 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
28819 posts

Jul 23, 2013

You can report it, but it is obviously an account that was created specifically for this scam.  The registration information is probably all false.  Sony can, and will, ban the account; but the scammer won't care, and will just create another one.

GKP
Message 4 of 8 (178 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9865 posts

Jul 23, 2013

gkpama00 wrote:

You can report it, but it is obviously an account that was created specifically for this scam.  The registration information is probably all false.  Sony can, and will, ban the account; but the scammer won't care, and will just create another one.

That is also true, but what type of ban would they do in this case, if they were to do a console ban, then it wouldn't matter what the person did they wouldn't be able to use the network on that system?

Message 5 of 8 (168 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jul 23, 2013

Thanks for the confirmation, but where is the best place to report a user?

Message 6 of 8 (165 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Support
4419 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 23, 2013

If you have a user to report, you can either report them via the message they sent you via XMB or you can report them here: Report Inappropriate Behavior

J_W

Message 7 of 8 (138 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18896 posts

Jul 24, 2013

@omeganess1: Know that official messages are marked and identified by the PSN log [img below] and the senders name/ID is between brackets "[" & "]"

PSN Officialy PM

Any other messages not marked-up as described above are the words and views of end-users with bad intentions or that by their ignorance have participated in a chain letter. DO  NOT FALL FOR THEM.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 8 of 8 (119 Views)
0 Likes