Highlighted
Jun 21 2013
By: SupaNova1791 First Son 2 posts

Playstation Network; Missing my favorite games.

3 replies 216 views Edited Jun 21, 2013

There's been a couple games on PSP that I've always had a tingling to play, like Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep and Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII to be precise. The problem is that I fell short because of my lack of having the PSP itself. But since the word/video from E3 about the release of Kingdom Hearts III and Final Fantasy XV, I've been motivated to play through all the Kingdom Hearts and favorite Final Fantasy games prior to their release. Remembering that a couple of those titles (the ones aforementioned) are on the PSP, I thought it would be a great idea to consider purchasing the Vita since it both plays past games on the PSP and is an investment for its own games in the future. Another problem rose when I later found out that Playstation Network does not offer Birth by Sleep nor Crisis Core as a digital copy; therefore, it cannot be played on PS Vita. This fact tells me that in order to play the games I'd like to play, I would have to buy a PSP; which honestly makes me feel like I'm going backwards instead of forward. So from my perspective, (and the many other similar forum topics that pop up in the google search bar), we all as a Playstation community can't help but ask:

Why is Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII and Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep not offered on Playstation Network???

Message 1 of 4 (216 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
31539 posts

Re: Playstation Network; Missing my favorite games.

Jun 21, 2013

The Playstation Vita developer license requires that all Vita games be available in the Playstation Store, but that wasn't the case for the PSP; largely because the Playstation Network did not exist when the PSP launched, and early PSPs did not have large enough memory cards for downloadable games anyway.  It is up to the publisher of the PSP game to decide whether to offer it in the Playstation Store.  Most PSP games that have been released are not available in the Playstation Store.  Sony didn't really encourage publishers to make a broad selection of games available in the Playstation Store until the PSP Go was developed, and by then a lot of PSP games were a few years old, and the publishers were done with them.  The publishers did not see enough demand for downloadable versions of most PSP games for them to want to invest in converting UMD games to Playstation Store games.  You would have to sell a lot of copies at $10-$20 each just to recover the conversion and certification costs.  The PSP Go never sold well, and most publishers didn't make much money on their Playstation Store PSP games.  Things haven' t been that much better with the Vita, so the flow of PSP back-catalog games to the Playstation Store has all but stopped.

Square Enix, in particular, believes that most of its customers want to own their JRPGs on physical media; so the company is more concerned about protecting its relationship with retailers that carry the PSP Favorites line, than it is with making its games available for download on the Vita or PSP Go.   There will always be a lot of PSP games that you will need a PSP to play, and as the PSP 3001 is still available to buy new, Sony doesn't consider that to be a problem that $130 can't solve.

GKP
Message 2 of 4 (206 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 22, 2013

gkpama00 wrote:

The Playstation Vita developer license requires that all Vita games be available in the Playstation Store, but that wasn't the case for the PSP; largely because the Playstation Network did not exist when the PSP launched, and early PSPs did not have large enough memory cards for downloadable games anyway.  It is up to the publisher of the PSP game to decide whether to offer it in the Playstation Store.  Most PSP games that have been released are not available in the Playstation Store.  Sony didn't really encourage publishers to make a broad selection of games available in the Playstation Store until the PSP Go was developed, and by then a lot of PSP games were a few years old, and the publishers were done with them.  The publishers did not see enough demand for downloadable versions of most PSP games for them to want to invest in converting UMD games to Playstation Store games.  You would have to sell a lot of copies at $10-$20 each just to recover the conversion and certification costs.  The PSP Go never sold well, and most publishers didn't make much money on their Playstation Store PSP games.  Things haven' t been that much better with the Vita, so the flow of PSP back-catalog games to the Playstation Store has all but stopped.

Square Enix, in particular, believes that most of its customers want to own their JRPGs on physical media; so the company is more concerned about protecting its relationship with retailers that carry the PSP Favorites line, than it is with making its games available for download on the Vita or PSP Go.   There will always be a lot of PSP games that you will need a PSP to play, and as the PSP 3001 is still available to buy new, Sony doesn't consider that to be a problem that $130 can't solve.

Yay for going a generation back!

#Sarcasm

Message 3 of 4 (198 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 7, 2014
Someone hack my account and I can't active my account because there are two account active
Message 4 of 4 (123 Views)
0 Likes