Splicer
58 posts

Re: PlayStation 3 Networking and Connection Quality FAQ

Mar 5, 2012

Reading this made me think I have UPnP enabled, port forwarding, and static IP and DMZ all enabled at one and I did this for faster connection and stability because another forum told me that was true but since this is a PS3 forum I trust you more then that other forum.

So I'm taking off all of that and just going with UPnP. but do i need to activate Port triggering it seems like that a totally different thing from port forwarding Oh and what should I use for the DNS ?

thanks so much for this forum I think I had my whole setup wrong doing it manually and I'm trying to start over to have the best optimum performance without freezes,lag and slow loading screen

Message 80 of 94 (333 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Mar 5, 2012

If UPnP works on your router and on your PS3, then you don't need to use port triggering. This also applies to your computer and other devices that connect to the internet, unless you are using some very old software.

For DNS, use the automatic settings unless you have problems with your internet service provider's DNS server. Google's DNS server is 8.8.8.8. You can also enter Google's DNS server into your router, so you don't have to enter it into your PS3 and your other computers manually.

As for slow loading, make sure your hard drive isn't too full. Try going into Safe Mode and using the Restore File System option to check for errors. Ignore the warning about corrupted data.

Message 81 of 94 (333 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
58 posts

Mar 5, 2012

yes I have pretty updated software I even have a laptop that operates at 5Ghz on Wireless N i just put it on dual band cause my PS3 only support B/G.

But should I also remove the Qos Setting I forgot I still have that on because I thought I might need that since there are a lot of devices on my network including 4G EVO, Wifi iPod, Tablets and 3 computers so I though I should add my PS3 MAC Address to the highest priority incase all devices are on at once. I do have 15MBPS internet but not sure if that matter with that many devices in my house 

Message 82 of 94 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Mar 6, 2012

Quality of Service is useful for managing upstream bandwidth, because multiplayer games involve a steady stream of network traffic between all of the players. Services like internet telephone or BitTorrent can consume all of your available upstream bandwidth and strangle your gaming connection if they aren't set up correctly.

At home, I prioritze traffic from the PS3, Xbox 360 and Skype.

Message 83 of 94 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
58 posts

Mar 6, 2012

Thanks for being so nice and detail about all of this when ever I have questions I'm coming to this thread

Message 84 of 94 (335 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 24, 2012

Can somebody help me? I used to have a wired connection, but this week I changed to wireless by connecting a wireless router linksys wrt54g2 to my modem so now I have 2 ps3 with internet connection. My problem is that now I have nat type 3 and would like to change it. I tried playing Dead Space 2 online but couldn't find any rooms. I tried everything, UPnP,Port Forwarding,DMZ but I am still getting nat type 3. I am using the ps3 browser to access the router settings as I do not have a laptop/pc. Does this make any difference? I got the default gateway from the internet connection status list of the ps3 (instead of using the laptop). Any help/suggestions pls?

Message 86 of 94 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

May 24, 2012

How was everything connected before to the internet?

My guess is that your modem is likely acting as a router too. Your PS3 is getting confused because it's connected to two routers in a row: your modem and your Linksys WRT54G2. You may have to turn off routing for your modem.

What brand and model is your modem? It should say on the front or on the sticker underneath the unit?

Message 87 of 94 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2596 posts

May 24, 2012

Have you contacted your isp?  And asked them for the process to add a router?

Normally when I hook up the modem the first time, they ask me for the MAC Address for my pc connected to it, then when I add the router I would have to enter the PC's MAC Address (the reason why some routers have the Clone PC MAC Address feature).

Since you are bypassing the PC the MAC Address may be wrong, since your primary device is now the ps3 and the router may need to be set up with either the PS3 MAC Address or the Modem MAC Address, maybe even they might need you to use the Router's MAC Address.  This might also be related to the devices being confused as to which is to handle the DHCP Reservations.

Grab some paper and a pen, write down all the information, the different MAC Addresses and call up your ISP and ask them to walk you thru the process.

color tag 001

Message 88 of 94 (336 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jun 19, 2012

lot of good info here keep up the good work

Message 89 of 94 (337 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Jul 24, 2012

Hello,

I wish I would have found this post sooner when attempting to solve my NAT problems over last weekend.  Regardless, I am curious to get your reaction to the last paragraph in my post where COD MW3 online NAT display conflicts with what the PS3 internet test results show (i.e.  MW3 shows STRICT but the PS3 test shows 2) but it changes to OPEN if I load MW2 then reload MW3. Is it a cache thing, you think?

Here's my post...

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Support-General/Possible-help-for-NAT-type-Strict-or-3-amp-ha...

Message 90 of 94 (321 Views)
0 Likes