Splicer
66 posts

Re: PlayStation 3 Networking and Connection Quality FAQ

Feb 7, 2012

Hello.

I tryed changing the wireless channel between 1,6, and 11.  The number 11 wireless channel was a little better then the other two. I well try to connecting the PS3 directly with a wired connection and see if it works that way. Is it normal to take almost 25 minutes to download a 75MB video on a 15Mbps wireless connection?

Thanks.

Message 70 of 94 (290 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Feb 7, 2012

No, it should not take you 25 minutes. But let us know the results of wiring the PS3 directly to the router.

Message 71 of 94 (290 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Feb 9, 2012

Hi.

I finally connected the PS3 to a wire connection.  I could tell you this, the down loading speed was really fast. It took less then 3 minutes to download an 178 MB demo. I also download an 1.7 GB demo it took less then 45 minutes to download.

So I  swich back to wireless, but it took 25 minutes to download a 75MB video. Should I reset the router back to factory settings? I don't know what else can I do fix the problem.  Help!!!!! : (

Thanks.

Message 72 of 94 (290 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Feb 9, 2012

You could try resetting to factory settings, but write down any changes you've made to save time. If your PS3 isn't very far from your router or if you can run cable inconspicuously without upsetting the significant other, consider staying with a wired connection. You can get CAT6 ethernet cable cheap from a brick and mortar computer store, or from Newegg or Monoprice.

Message 73 of 94 (290 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Feb 9, 2012

Wow thank potatobreath for the super quick response.  I well try tonight to resetting the router, but if this dosen't work fortunately I have to stay with it. My wife hates it with a passion seeing cables laying around the house.

Thanks again.

Message 74 of 94 (290 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Feb 9, 2012

There are also wireless bridges or wireless gaming adaptors that will convert the PS3's wired ethernet jack into a WiFi radio that you can place in a better spot for reception. They might give you the extra range or signal strength you need. There are cheaper models available, but documentation may be poor.

ZyXEL WAP3205 Wireless N Access Point @ Newegg

Basically, you would download the newest firmware for the your access point (ZyXEL in this case) on your computer. Then you would unplug your computer from your home network and plug it into the access point. Login to the access point, upload the newest firmware, and set it up to connect to your Linksys wireless router. Then you can move the access point over to the PS3 and turn the PS3's wired connection into a longer range, faster wireless connection.

Message 75 of 94 (290 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 20, 2012

good day all,

Ive tried everything and still havent connected to Gran Turismo 5 network ever since I got the PS3 and GT5 together when GT5 just came out.

So heres the deal:

hardwired with ethernet cable connection   -  (not connecting wirelesly)

I can connect to Playstation network with acceptable speeds ok, I can access and modify account management info. and can browse on PS3 internet browser.... but,

Starting Gran Turismo 5, begins with long delay then error " connection to the server cannot be established (ID-1:530) "

when I try to download racing car pack 3 DLC through playstation store: , get error 80029721 (i think thats a username error code )

just for grins i make sure im signed into the playstation network, sony entertainment network, gran turismo network, as well as my own PS3...             retry, no good.

I thought ok, must be a connection or DSL gateway settings issue,

I HARD power cycled everthing,              retry, no good

reset the modem, reconfigure PS3,  obtain another connection... retry GT5 network connection, , no good. error id=1:530

Im still thinkin this is a modem issue at this time,

ATT DSL service on a 2wire modem router combo model 2701HG-B running latest software 5.29.109.13

PS3 has made all  software updates as it connewcts to that server just fine...

i open ports on the modem firewall: TCP 80 443 5223 3478 3479 3658 10070-10080 and 9293   UDP 3478 3479 3658 10070  

keeping in mind that all these port settings are under one definition that i named "GT5" definition file.

not one definition per "name" ;  name1, name2 name3, mayne this is bad ?

FYI note:      my ps3 is listed in firewall, "named" as 192.168.1.68,    when my router IP address begins with 65.8.XX.XX ,

my PS3 IP is exactly the same as router. works good with googles dns settings and 1492 mtu. it connects to PS network, but not GT5 network. 

in playing with settings all the long, i find that setting mtu to 1492 usually helps.   PS3 usually on NAT type 2.

and so does changing the dns server to 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4   instead of the modems dns (205.152.XXXX), or automatic.

also disabling media server and UPnP is helping my connections...

when that didnt do the trick (connecting to GT5 network this time)  I went with DMZ.   retry - no good.

(my router connection type says PPPoE and my usernam @ATT.net)

didnt think this made any difference but I put all this info in PS3 settings:  , retry,   and no good,

PS3 wouldnt connect at all...

(i access my router /modem settings with Windows XP PC...)

did what i could and got back an internet connection.

Gave a call to the trusty Palystation support, who navigated me into removing the game utility data, and one other data file, then resart and took ages to reload all PS3 updates. get it connected to PS3 network and  internet browser ok, but same error when loadin GT5 game, error ID=1:530

since im new, i guess ive never backed up my game data, so when all done updating I came back to play, im starting out with Licenses again.                   all game data was lost.

ok , i can deal with that, maybe I need some more practice.

so Ive scoured the forums trying everyting I could find, but nothings working.

my last options are taking PS3 to friends with cable internet, to see if error is duplicated

(either error codes for GT5 network or downloading DLC content)

If i duplicate, that means the issue is with my PS3 and/or  gran turismo network.

if I dont, I think I will need the best DSL router modem combo out there ! (with wireless) 

Ive jumbled around about here and in my settings, but I think Ive tried everyones suggestions on these posts...

any recommendations ?

Thanks,

Don

Message 76 of 94 (290 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Feb 21, 2012

Hi Don,

You should be able to get a connection to Gran Turismo 5 online with the automatic settings on your PS3. It's unusual why it's not working for you. Do try bringing it to a friend's house if it is convenient for you.

Message 77 of 94 (290 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Mar 3, 2012

Hello all, this is a continuation with updates,

Took the ps3 to a friends, hooked it up, and I was surprised how fast it automatically connected with no input at all...

Downloaded the dlc content I paid for, browsed around playstaion store, gran turismo 5 connected just fine but couldn't spend much time on it.  So it worked great with comcast high speed Internet ..

Got back home tried it agin, with att's top  dsl ,  and no good...  Same error : SEN timed out.

Have tried lots already, much more than i thought for a PNPlay unit

Fiddled with diff dns's, mtu's,, opening more ports, tried going into dmz mode again, but no go.

I think this proves to me it's a router issue., it usually connects to PSN but not GTN.

Maybe a faulty gateway,I occasionally hear a crack- or a pop in it's vicinity when tying diff settings.

In previous posts, I recall someone saying - to open the firewall in both directons.

I'm not sure how to do that with the 2wire 2701hg-b,  or

If i can with this gateway,

Cheers for now.

Don

Message 78 of 94 (290 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Mar 3, 2012

Have you tried reverting everything to the default, automatic settings on the 2Wire gateway?

Did you buy the 2Wire gateway, or are you renting it from AT&T? If you're doing the latter, try calling AT&T and asking them if they have any other gateways they can trade you.

Message 79 of 94 (290 Views)
0 Likes