Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Monster Hunter
43 posts

Re: PlayStation 3 Networking and Connection Quality FAQ

Jan 9, 2012

Thank you for the reply.But at this moment it doesn't help with my situation until i get the router.

Message 50 of 93 (127 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Jan 9, 2012

I think you may be limited to just two devices connected directly to the Arris cable modem. You may be able to connect both your PC and your new PS3 to the internet together in a few days when the cable company issues you new IP addresses automatically and removes your old PS3 from their records. A router is still a good idea though, because it provides some protection from the internet.

Message 51 of 93 (127 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jan 17, 2012

I posted this somewhere else but here seems to have the best answers... 

I am to assume I should go back to a "easy" set-up and not do a custom with a static IP???

but does this below make sense??

To Touch on some more here, I had a Router/Modem combo prior to last night and still was running into a NAT Type 3 issue, this is why I went for a different router.

my ISP (frontier) explained to me that the router/ modem combo I have will give me a 50/50 shot of working... So they told me to try another Router and they would

dis-connect my Wireless on my SE567 so I can run my N600 Router...

"This Sh*^ plain sucks!!!

I tried for hours last night trying to get all this to work, I have tried Port Forwarding, DMZ, UPNP.. 

I gave my PS a Static IP... I have done so much only to come back everytime to NAT 3.........................

why does this have to be so complicated to play a freaking friend online? 

I can play any random person in any open loby, but the minute you want to do a private match you are SOL!!!

think this is a bunch of BS!!

I run a SE567 Modem/Router combo, which the Wireless end is not shut off because last night I picked up a Netgear N600 Dual Band Router.  I called my ISP last night and had them switch off the wireless on there SE567 so now it is just my modem.  I spent 3 hours on the phone with the guy going through many setting on my PS and on my Router only to get NAT 3 every single time!!

Now this AM I called them again and they told me to set my SE567 Modem up to DMZ my N600 Router, I have not tried this yet since I am @ work, but is this how you bridge it or is this something all together??

What am I missing here that is not getting me to a NAT 2??? I just want to be able to game with a friend!!

seems my issues lie in MW3...

My PC is Wired and all other devices are wireless... "

Message 52 of 93 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
83 posts

Jan 19, 2012

OH Potato, I really hope you can help me with this problem. I've been connected to the internet wirelessly and had no problem with signing in up until about a week ago. Out of the blue I wouldn't get a signal whatsoever. Everytime I try to check my internet connection settings on the PS3 it tells me my signal is 100%. When I test it out it always gives me a "Timed out on getting IP address". I have not changed anything at all around my house or my CPU.

My psp on the other hand works fine as well as my ipod, so I have no Idea on what to do anymore since I tried disconnecting everything for 30 secs and all that jazz. My router I use is an SMC networks/SMCWBR14S-N4

I'm thinking I should connect back to a wire to see if that helps or not.

Message 53 of 93 (127 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Jan 19, 2012

Have you tried updating the firmware on your SMC router? There's a part number on a sticker underneath the router that you can look up. Afterwards, you can download the firmware update from the SMC website and upload it to your router through the router settings web page.

You can also try a different wireless channel, on either 1, 6 or 11.

Message 54 of 93 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
83 posts

Jan 20, 2012

Thank you so much for the help Potato! For some reason I had to do alittle fiddling on my router as well to get it to work. Seems I had to add my Mac address for my PS3 to the router to allow it which is strange cause I never had to do that before. But, seems what you told me helped a bunch. Thanks again!

Message 55 of 93 (127 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Jan 20, 2012

Make sure you have MAC Address Filtering on your SMC router turned off. It's not really much of a help, and it can be a headache if you forgot that you turned it on and have trouble adding a new device.

If MAC Address Filtering is already off, then it may simply be an intermittent wireless connection issue. If it happens again, try the suggestions above.

Message 56 of 93 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
56 posts

Jan 29, 2012

my net was recently changed from dsl to wireless from roadrunner, now on my sppedtests it shows that my connection speed is much higher but on my ps3 it is significantly lower. 10mbs on pc & 600kbs on my ps3, what can i do to make my connection reasonable?

Message 57 of 93 (127 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Jan 29, 2012

Speed tests from the PS3 can be gross underestimates. Are you still able to download and play games acceptably?

Message 58 of 93 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
56 posts

Jan 29, 2012

not at all

Message 59 of 93 (127 Views)
0 Likes