Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
5 posts

Re: PlayStation 3 Networking and Connection Quality FAQ

Sep 25, 2011

Now when I log into the Settings and Connection Status list it says my ip address is 169.254.208.92 and says (Private Networks Only). No idea what is going on now :~(

Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 93 (142 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Sep 25, 2011

Can't even get to the point to tell if this is a router issue or PS3 issue.

Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 93 (142 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Sep 25, 2011

Internet connection test is saying your PS3 is not connected to your router nor the internet. When your PS3 is not connected, it will assign itself a private IP address. You have no internet connection at this point.

1. Are you using the latest firmware for your router? If not, then make sure you are.

2. Have you tried a wired connection with your PS3?

Stick to the easy or automatic settings for your PS3. You don't want to make a bigger headache for yourself. Clear all of your manual port forwarding and DMZ settings for your PS3. You need to focus on getting a working internet connection, not opening ports. You can do the latter later after your internet connection works.

Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 93 (142 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Oct 5, 2011

I got a problem if you don't mind helping, which I'd appreciate, since its getting pretty annoying...

See, my connection was fine and all up to a few hours ago, then I get called because a laptop that hadn't been used for a few days now couldn't conect to the internet at all, I thought it was my PS3 taking the IP or something (don't know muchabout this.) so I disconnected from my PS3, disconnected the router, after a bit reconnected the router and could easly log in into the laptop, buuuuut after doing this, I couldn't log in on the PS3, I tried changing the IP (the last number only) a few numbers up and down, and some random numbers just in case, but nothing worked...

After a while I did a full reboot of everything, I made sure all was disconnected from the router, turned off the PS3, disconnected modem and router and left it like that for about 30mins, afterwards, I reconnected the modem and router and nothing else, once I made sure they were propperly working, I turned on the PS3 and tried a few IPs again (last number only) and at first it seemed to work, but it only gave me up to internet access, or it failed to give me a NAT type or download/ uload speed, and after a while, I only got IP and internet connection at most, but would disconnect really fast.

Now it only gives me an IP at most, but even that fails 90% of the times, even when certain settings get me a successful IP, repeating those same settings will sometimes even result in Failing to get the IP, so I'm completely confused on what to do now...

I tried moving IPs, resetting modem/ router, using diferent DNS settings, like the google or public ones, but nothing seems to work now.

Any and all help would be really appreciated.

-EDIT-

....I just realized this thread is years old...crap.

Well any help is still appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 93 (142 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Oct 5, 2011

Actually, I started this thread in September of this year.

At first glance, I think you're simply having a wireless connection quality issue. Don't mess with manual (static) IP addresses. Use the automatic or easy (DHCP) settings to avoid headache while you try to get a basic internet connection working.

I need you to answer some questions.

1. Are the laptop and PS3 connected through wireless? I suspect they are.
  2. Does everything work if you test with a wired connection?
  3. What brand and model of router are you using?
  4. Do you have the newest firmware update on your router? You can read more about firmware updates in the FAQ.
Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 93 (142 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Oct 5, 2011

Oh, I confused join date with post date...twice.

1. Laptop and PS3 yes they are, actually, its 3 laptops, mine, my broither's, and the general "family" laptop I guess you could call it, all wireless connections.

2. I canot test with a wired connection atm, the router is in the living room,  not close any Tv, I may be able to move some stuff later on, but right now its kinda occupied.

3. D-Link DIR615

4. I'm not sure, but I THINK it may be outdated actually, I thought it was up to date, but may be wrong now that I'm doing more research about it.

Right now mine's in v.3.00 or so it seems.

(Oh man, if its the update, I'm gonna be mad. xD)

Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 93 (142 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Oct 5, 2011
  • Get and upload the newest firmware from D-Link on your DIR-615. It sounds like it's router hardware revision C from your description, but make sure it's the firmware for your exact revision of router, or else it won't upload. Bring a laptop up to the router and update through a wired connection, so you don't risk the signal dropping mid-upload and bricking your router!
  • Set the wireless channel to 1 or 11, whichever seems to get you the most stable connection across all your laptops.
  • Use WPA2-PSK AES security with a good passphrase.

After that, check back with me.

Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 93 (142 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Oct 6, 2011

As I saw, it IS C1, so the latest is 3.13 if I'm not mistaken.

Also, I think I'll have to wait to update then, can't find the ethernet cable. :smileyfrustrated:

Do I NEED to do it wired?

If I do brick it, I imagine there's no way to fix it, like with the reset button or anything?

Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 93 (142 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Oct 6, 2011

Nope. Otherwise, bricking wouldn't be that scary.

You can get another ethernet cable from the dollar store or the local computer store.

Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 93 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5021 posts

Oct 21, 2011

wondering why this isnt stickied

Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 93 (142 Views)
0 Likes