First Son
7 posts

Re: PlayStation 3 Networking and Connection Quality FAQ

Sep 14, 2011

so u really think that if i change my router it will solve all the problems??

Message 20 of 94 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Sep 14, 2011

Yes. You have a really old wireless router. I remember when I had that same router -- the wireless radio eventually stopped working. I replaced it years ago. A new router should give you a stronger signal and better security.

Message 21 of 94 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2596 posts

Sep 14, 2011

I was actually talking about disabling all wireless aspects of networking from the routing device, not just the SSID.

color tag 001

Message 22 of 94 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Sep 14, 2011

The broadcast/aspect part threw me off. I just call it turning off the wireless radio.

Most wireless routers will let you turn the wireless radio off with a simple toggle option, usually on the same page as the basic wireless settings with the security options.

Message 23 of 94 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
264 posts

Sep 18, 2011

I've been ocupied and thus have not upgraded my firmware to DDT, but strangely now I don't think I need to.  To put it simply here was the problem: My PS3 was losing it's connection wirelessly every now and then, and my computer's wireless activity did the same.  This set off an alarm for me stating the problem was my router.  Indeed it was, because I may have found the solution.  I have been on my PS3 for a full day now, and neither my computer nor my PS3 has disconnected.  The solutioin?  Switching my linksys router from "mixed" to "G+B" mode AND putting it on channel 11 instead of the default 6.  That seems to clear up any dropped connection issues.  I'll test this for a few more days and if everything runs perfectly then I shall report back here.

Message 24 of 94 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Sep 18, 2011

DDT is the pesticide. DD-WRT is the firmware.

If you want wireless N back, then try DD-WRT. You basically have to reset the router to default settings with the reset button, upload the starter firmware ("newd_mini") from the WRT150N wiki page, reset the router again, and load the newest full firmware. The WRT150N is a lot easier than other routers I've reprogrammed with custom firmware.

Message 25 of 94 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
264 posts

Sep 23, 2011

Checking in after a while with the new change (from wireless mixed/ch. 6 to wireless g/b/ch. 11) and no drops.  This solved my issue as far as I am aware of. 

Message 26 of 94 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
214 posts

Sep 23, 2011

great info thanks very much

Message 27 of 94 (318 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Sep 25, 2011

I could use some major help.  I've put about 8 hours into this the last two days.

My PS3 has run on Wifi for the last 1.5 years or so with no problems.  Suddenly I've been having problems staying connected to PSN and a bunch of media server errors.  I started by rebooting my router/modem (Verizon DSL) and restarting my PS3.  I've try setting up the network with 'Easy' settings, and with 'Custom Settings'.  I've gone through ever combination of router and ps3 for the dmz, upnp, and other settings.  I've also turned off the media server.  I've even completely reset my router to factory defaults and formatted the ps3 out of desperation.

Sometimes on a fresh reboot, the PS3 instantly connects the PSN and it looks good, but the first time I goto the PS store, or even test network settings, it signs me out of PSN and I am unable to reconnect.  I've seen about 6-7 different error codes.

The strangest thing is that after I get disconnected from PSN and I log into my router, it shows my PS3 connection as ethernet (instead of wifi) and that it is disconnected.  When i reboot the PS3 I instantly get reconnected to PSN. I goto internet connection test and get disconnected from PSN, and now I can't even obtain an IP address.

Once I rerun set up and go through a few reboots I can probably get back into PSN, but it's a never ending cycle.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Message 28 of 94 (318 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Sep 25, 2011

I started downloading the Fifa 12 demo with no problems.  When I loaded Fifa 11 PSN disconnected me and now I can't get back in again

Message 29 of 94 (318 Views)
0 Likes