MVP Support
41816 posts

Re: PlayStation 3 Networking and Connection Quality FAQ

Sep 12, 2011

Sobia6464 wrote:

Hmm... Table of Contents would be nice for us who like to CTRL+F. I noticed this today when I kept referring back to this thread and had a difficult time finding what I wanted.  Not an impossible time, but a hassle none the less.

Also, I agree about leaving the home networking out of this one.  If we woudl do something like that here, then why don't we have how to start up a computer here too?  Just opened up a computer out of the box?  Well screw the manual, read this!  I just don't like the sound of things like that.  So home networking is not a Sony problem until it conflicts with online, and that is beautifully outlined here.

Although this Thread is very good & the information contained within it very helpful, I don't tend to refer to it ijn the way you do, I tend to direct people to it via a link, much easier & simplier than coming backwards & forwards, that way they can read through the OP directly themselves.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 10 of 94 (778 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Sep 12, 2011

Sobia6464 wrote:

Hmm... Table of Contents would be nice for us who like to CTRL+F.  I noticed this today when I kept referring back to this thread and had a difficult time finding what I wanted.  Not an impossible time, but a hassle none the less.

You have a good point. I've been trying to figure out a way to have a table of contents with links that scroll down the page, but I might just have a plain table of contents.

Message 11 of 94 (778 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
264 posts

Sep 12, 2011

BRIT-KO wrote:

Sobia6464 wrote:

Hmm... Table of Contents would be nice for us who like to CTRL+F. I noticed this today when I kept referring back to this thread and had a difficult time finding what I wanted.  Not an impossible time, but a hassle none the less.

Also, I agree about leaving the home networking out of this one.  If we woudl do something like that here, then why don't we have how to start up a computer here too?  Just opened up a computer out of the box?  Well screw the manual, read this!  I just don't like the sound of things like that.  So home networking is not a Sony problem until it conflicts with online, and that is beautifully outlined here.

Although this Thread is very good & the information contained within it very helpful, I don't tend to refer to it ijn the way you do, I tend to direct people to it via a link, much easier & simplier than coming backwards & forwards, that way they can read through the OP directly themselves.

Well thus far I haven't had the opportunity to direct someone here myself.  I kept coming back here for either my own reasons, or to show something to a friend.  You guys have successfully sniped all the networking questions and answered them far before I lay my eye on them.  This is not bad, as the user gets their answer more quickly, but I really do want to link someone to this section to not only answer their question(s), but teach them far more in the process.  There are actually things in this thread that 8 months of research have not told me.  Like the satellite gaming for example.

Also, a question I have for anyone willing to assist in an answer.  My linksys firmware for my WRT150N router is already updated with it's latest availablefirmware update, v1.01.9, and I when checking cisco's site for an update it says downloads are no longer available for your model. Sorry blah blah" regardless it works fine.  However, it has been dropping my PS3 and my computer (not too often on the computer side though, but that may actually be my netgear USB adapter rather then my Linksys) and it gets frustrating at times.  I have tried a vast amount of ordeals and still to no avail.  Then, as if I have one final chance at achieving blissful gaming, I heard about DDT Firmware (or something like that).  I've seen many people appraise it, and then some not too fond of it.  I am not aware of how to "reflash" my existing firmware, especially since I can't download the firmware from Cisco's site anymore.  I was thinking of getting it, but I am not 100% sure about it.  Thoughts?

Message 12 of 94 (778 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Sep 12, 2011

Sobia, you're in luck. The WRT150N is supported by DD-WRT, and the community has a guide on flashing custom firmware onto the router. Be sure to read the instructions carefully to avoid bricking your router.

Message 13 of 94 (778 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
264 posts

Sep 12, 2011

potatobreath wrote:

Sobia, you're in luck. The WRT150N is supported by DD-WRT, and the community has a guide on flashing custom firmware onto the router. Be sure to read the instructions carefully to avoid bricking your router.

Thank you.  I shall try to do this tomorrow.  Is there anyway to prevent my current firmware from being completely irretrievable?

Message 14 of 94 (778 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Sep 12, 2011

I think your best bet would be to e-mail Linksys tech support with your router and version number, and see if they can give you the newest available firmware from their archives. Otherwise, I don't think you're missing much. The router's much more valuable and stable with DD-WRT installed. The interface is almost the same as the standard Linksys firmware too, so there's no learning curve once DD-WRT is loaded.

Message 15 of 94 (778 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Sep 13, 2011

I have a problem my  ps3 wont connect to my wireless internet it says a connection to the access point could not be established... my router is Netgear MR814V3.. with the firmware of v5.4_06... I can't connect my ps3 when WPA key or WEP key is on but when i turn those keys off my PS3 would connect...I already tried the custom way of putting the IP address, Default Router and DNS servers.. I also tried registering the MAC address of my PS3 on the wireless setting of my router..and by the wat its uses WPA-PSK TKIP.. You said "Use WPA2-PSK AES. If you have a PSP, use WPA-PSK AES. The AES option is sometimes called 'CCMP'. If your router only does WEP or WPA-PSK TKIP, then it's time to get a new router." do you think if i buy a new router will it use automatically WPA2-PSK AES or there is a risk its still uses WPA-PSK TKIP so if there is a risk i have to ask the sales associate in bestbuy what router uses WPA2-PSK AES.. and do you really think i will be able to connect my PS3 if i buy a new router that will use a WPA2-PSK AES.. coz i just saw my own hotspot that i made in my laptop uses WPA2-PSK AES security also and my PS3 can connect on the internet hotspot made by my laptop.. and do you think any brand router will do as long as it uses WPA2-PSK AESS instead of TKIP or i still need a netgear router coz its the brand of my original router.. Sorry if i have too many questions i'm not really familiar with this kinds of things.. Will appreciate help coz i really really wanted to play online and get a nice connection so that i can patch and update my ps3 without the need to of turning on my laptop to share the hotspot i made out of it coz its waste of electricity..

Message 16 of 94 (778 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2596 posts

Sep 13, 2011

I'm not sure about this, but do all routers come with some sort of Quality of Service (QoS, QOS) setting that will allow them to set the priority higher for the ps3 if they have to have another internet device (computer, tablet etc.) on at the same time?

I don't have any experience with this first hand but when school starts every year there are usually a bunch of new can't connect posts.  Most answers have been for them to contact the schools IT department for the proper settings to get into the schools network, if it is even possible.

The only other thing I will bother you with is that if someone is using a wireless router as a wired router for all devices that they might want to disable the wireless broadcast/ aspect.  That is I guess if the router can shut it off.  After noticing some slowness in my connection and checking my settings, I found an extra device in my DHCP Table, turned out my neighbor had set up his ps3 to my router because I had never touched the wireless settings in the first place I didn't know I had to do anything with it, and he didn't know his own routers setup, he just plugged it in and was using it.

color tag 001

Message 17 of 94 (778 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
264 posts

Sep 13, 2011

Wakko03 wrote:

I'm not sure about this, but do all routers come with some sort of Quality of Service (QoS, QOS) setting that will allow them to set the priority higher for the ps3 if they have to have another internet device (computer, tablet etc.) on at the same time?

I don't have any experience with this first hand but when school starts every year there are usually a bunch of new can't connect posts.  Most answers have been for them to contact the schools IT department for the proper settings to get into the schools network, if it is even possible.

The only other thing I will bother you with is that if someone is using a wireless router as a wired router for all devices that they might want to disable the wireless broadcast/ aspect.  That is I guess if the router can shut it off.  After noticing some slowness in my connection and checking my settings, I found an extra device in my DHCP Table, turned out my neighbor had set up his ps3 to my router because I had never touched the wireless settings in the first place I didn't know I had to do anything with it, and he didn't know his own routers setup, he just plugged it in and was using it.

color tag 001

So far, every router I have used (including friends') all had some sort of QoS section in it.  I can't say ALL routers do, as I have not, nor will I ever, used every router out there.

Message 18 of 94 (778 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Sep 14, 2011

no2study, any of the current routers will do WPA2-PSK AES. You should set the new router to receive connections encrypted with WPA2-PSK AES only. I recommend you read reviews of the router you are interested in before you buy. I tend to buy routers that support DD-WRT custom firmware, so I can continue to receive bug fixes and feature updates. If you turn off MAC address filtering, then you won't have to worry about adding your PS3's MAC address to the list; it doesn't provide much protection anyways.

Wakko03, QoS is a feature of higher-end routers. I prioritize game traffic from my consoles, so upload bandwidth hogs like peer to peer apps don't introduce lag to my online gameplay. Also, disabling SSID broadcast isn't very useful. Your neighbour shouldn't be able to connect to your wireless point if you have strong encryption already in place.

Message 19 of 94 (778 Views)
0 Likes