Sep 17 2011
By: TheAdamastor First Son 5 posts

Periodically disconnecting from PSN

6 replies 5376 views Edited Sep 17, 2011

About 2 weeks ago, maybe longer, my PS3 started to disconnect periodically. It disconnects both in and out of games, and it lasts a few minutes to a few hours. The error almost always came up at 80710102, so I tried searching all of the fixes for that. I tried changing the MTU, changing DNS numbers, disabling media server, setting the PS3 as a DMZ host or something, and a few others below. I have the PS3 on a wired connection (tried wireless as well, same issues), and I have all of the recommended ports forwarded. I have always had it set to a static IP, and trying out automatic didn't make a difference.

My router is a ubee U10C045, which is also the modem, and the service is Road Runner. On the network I have a printer, two computers, iPhones, and recently an iPad 2. The iPad also seems to disconnect periodically, and after the default gateway change, my computer did as well for a while, but not as consistently as the PS3 and iPad. Being a recent addition to the network, I suspected the iPad for the troubles, but the PS3 would still disconnect after setting the iPad's wifi off and putting it in flight mode.

After disconnecting, I am unable to reconnect if I try to sign in. Sometimes if it is left for a while, I can come back on. In order for me to get back online immediately, I simply have to go to Network Settings and have it run an Internet Connection Test, and strangely I can then sign back in to PSN.

I have been playing Dead Island, and while I am playing alone it will still disconnect. If I am playing with a friend, however, I seem to hold a connection.

I changed my default gateway from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.100.1, and for some reason more error codes started popping up, though the 80710102 error is the most common:

80710092 – When trying to connect. Same with those below.

80028EA5

8002AD23 – When disconnected

This seems to be an odd case, but does anyone know something I could try?

Message 1 of 7 (5,376 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
264 posts

Re: Periodically disconnecting from PSN

Sep 19, 2011

I use 192.168.1.1 but that is just me.  Also, make sure your wireless mode doesn't have anything to do with n (or your wired settings if you have problems with it as well).  The PS3 doesn't support n yet, so keep it g/b.  I used to have a similar problem until a couple days ago.  I am using a wireless connection and mine disconnected frequently.  I simply changed my routers wireless channel from 6 to 11 and it canceled out all interference. My computer also disconnected frequently, and neither has done so since that change from a mixed wireless mode to a g/b wireless mode and channel 6 to 11.

Make sure your routers firmware is upgraded as well, as it plays a big part in its role.  If you have a modem/router combo, call your ISP for information and help.

If these do no help, then please read/post in the following thead:  http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3891787?start=0&tstart=0

Message 2 of 7 (5,375 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Sep 19, 2011

Thanks for the reply. Tried that out and I still get the drops. Can't even find my modem router on the ubee site, but I'd think it's recent firmware as Road Runner installed it only a couple months ago.

Message 3 of 7 (5,375 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Sep 20, 2011

Your gateway should not change.

The gateway in a home network will always be the IP address of your Router.

You can confirm this by typing the IP address into a web browser. It will bring you to the log in page for your Router.

You can find out your gateway by using any computer in your network.

From a command prompt (Start--Run--CMD) type:

ipconfig /all

The gateway will be listed below the IP and Subnet Mask.

To resolve your issue, please try the following.....it worked for me when I was sporatically dropping network on the PS3.

Change the DNS on your PS3 to Google's DNS.

8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

I haven't experienced any internet related issues with the PS3 since making this change.

Message 4 of 7 (5,375 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Sep 20, 2011

I changed my gateway because I was told that overused network IPs can sometimes cause interference, but it's obviously not the problem in this case, so I changed it back.

As stated in my original post, I did try changing the DNS numbers. I tried:

8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4

4.2.2.1 & 4.2.2.2

208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220

So while it says it's a DNS issue, I'm not so sure, especially as everything else on the network is randomly dropping at different times. If the whole network dropped together this would be a lot easier to diagnose. Really less of a PS3 issue than I originally thought, as I noticed it first with the PS3, but more of a network issue.

I thought clients on the network were competing in some way (not for IPs though), but I recently tried denying everything from the network except my PS3. Still had it drop.

Message 5 of 7 (5,375 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
264 posts

Sep 20, 2011

First, make sure the Firmware is up to date.  Seriously, that's a big one.  If not, update it.

Next try this:  Go onto your routers set-up page and see if you can find the MAC Filtering list.  In there should be your DHCP Client Table (The list of users connected to your network).  Make sure your neighbors or anyone else isn't eating your bandwidth.  If they are, you can simply ban their MAC address from your router.  Too many devices may cause some routers to drop devices.

Try to set your PS3's MAC address in the QoS (Quality of Service) tab to HIGH.  This way, you're PS3 is sure to get the most out of your router.

Try to toggle the UPnP (Universal Plugf n' Play) settings on/off.  See if one of those help.  Mine works better off, but most work better on.

Make sure your MTU is set to automatic.

Try Port Forwarding

Try setting it into a DMZ, if you haven't already.

-Try the following DNS numbers.

For primary enter 129.250.35.250.  Next go to Secondary and enter in 129.250.35.251

Message 6 of 7 (5,375 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
5 posts

Sep 23, 2011

A few days ago I contacted customer service for my router and the guy suggested a few things. What fixed it was disabling "WAN Blocking" on my router, which is enabled by default. Had a few new errors at first but they seemed to work themselves out and everything is fine now.

Message 7 of 7 (5,375 Views)