Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 18 2011
By: tallbagheera First Son 1 posts

Parental Controls

3 replies 156 views Edited Jul 18, 2011

Could someone please help me with the parental control setting for the PS3 on the Playstation Network

I have a son who is aged 13 and has a sub account on PSN. I consider that he is mature enough to play some games that are rated 16. i have as far as i can tell removed all parental controls and he is able to play the campaign levels of these games without problem. However if he tries to play any of these games online a pop up message stated that the parental controls prevent him from doing so. The same is true of a game that is rated 12 (Quantum of Solace).

i have seen comments on some forums that suggest that the parental control settings on the PS3 console and under my main PSN account have no effect on online gaming and that this is actually controlled by Sony. If this is the case could someone please tell me at what age my son would be colnsidered mature enough to play these games online.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (156 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28647 posts

Re: Parental Controls

Jul 18, 2011

Welcome to the Forums.

Did you make a seperate account/PSN ID for your son & if so did you put his actual age of 13 in that account, if so that may be your problem.

Also games have ratings for a reason & you may well consider your son 'mature enough' to play an 'M' rated game, having said that what one person considers mature however is generally different from anothers.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (156 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13952 posts

Jul 19, 2011

Actually, there are separate parental controls for the PS3 console, and the Playstation Network.  The parental controls for Playstation Network sub-accounts are managed from the Account Management screen of the master account.  Log into PSN using the master account, select Account Management in the Playstation Network section of the XMB, and Sub-Account Management under that.  In the Sub-Account Management section you can change the parental controls for any of the PSN sub-accounts associated with the master account.  The parental controls for the PS3 are completely independent, and are in the Settings>Security Settings menu.  In order to play a PS3 game that is rated higher than E online, both the PS3 System parental controls, and the Playstation Network sub-account parental controls, must be set to allow it. 

That said, the parental controls are effectively advisory, meaning that it is up to the game to enforce the controls that you set; and the game developers are free to use the age of the account holder to enforce their own standard for whom the game is appropriate.  The vast majority of games will allow online play by any PSN account if the parental controls allow it.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (156 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28647 posts

Jul 19, 2011

Thanks for that gkpama.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (156 Views)
0 Likes