Jun 04 2013
By: blagginspaziy0 First Son 6 posts

PSN support is useless! How do I reset an account's password w/o the DoB?

11 replies 229 views Edited Jun 4, 2013

yes, I gameshared! The guy changed my password through some means and probably the DoB! Althought I do know the DoB can't be changed, so I might have just forgot it. I know the password to my email but he doesn't. How did he change my password and how do I reset it? I live in the Philippines so calling PSN is not an option. Live chat is a **bleep** because it's not on right now.

Message 1 of 12 (229 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
41765 posts

Re: PSN support is useless! How do I reset an account's password w/o the DoB?

Jun 4, 2013

blagginspaziy0 wrote:

yes, I gameshared! The guy changed my password through some means and probably the DoB! Althought I do know the DoB can't be changed, so I might have just forgot it. I know the password to my email but he doesn't. How did he change my password and how do I reset it? I live in the Philippines so calling PSN is not an option. Live chat is a **bleep** because it's not on right now.

Welcome to the PlayStation Community.

OH DEAR!!!

You can't remember the year you were born?

Live chat is for US customers, & only then during the hours stated, customers from other regions are expected to contact Sony in their country of residence.

The guy changed the password because you gave him your original password, & now you're here complaining, sorry but that's a bit rich when the fault is all yours my friend.

I suggest you try the 'Live Chat' again when it's available.

Good luck!

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 2 of 12 (225 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jun 4, 2013
I put in a fake DoB. I'm confused as to how he changed my pass. Wouldn't he need to answer the security question and know the DoB himself?
Message 3 of 12 (220 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
41765 posts

Jun 4, 2013

blagginspaziy0 wrote:
I put in a fake DoB. I'm confused as to how he changed my pass. Wouldn't he need to answer the security question and know the DoB himself?

No, just the password.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 4 of 12 (216 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
31513 posts

Jun 4, 2013

Let's get the details straight.  You only need to know the date-of-birth, and have access to the account e-mail address, to reset a forgotten password.  If you know the current PSN password for the account, then you can change the account password without knowing anything else.  You can change the account e-mail address also, which changes the account sign-in name.  Once you do that you have control of the account, but not ownership of it.

The date-of-birth for a PSN account cannot be changed.  Neither can the security question or answer.  They are things that never change in real life, so if you registered with true information, then you would never need to change it.  If you registered with false information, then you violated PSN rules (before you even game-shared), and you have no right to use the account anyway. 

At this point, you cannot recover access to your account online; because you don't know the date-of-birth that was registered with the account.  That is no one's fault except yours.  No one made you use a false one, and no one made you forget what it was.  The only way that you might be able to recover your account is to contact Playstation customer support by phone or live chat, during business hours.

Sony is used to people using false dates-of-birth to get around age restrictions, and SCEA is generally tolerant of that.  If you can answer the security question correctly, then you should be able to get access to your account restored.  If you can't do that either, then Sony will probably start wondering if the account is really yours, not to mention whether it really wants you as a customer to begin with.  You might be able to do something with the serial number of the PS3 that the account was created on, if you have that.  Otherwise, you can probably just forget about the account, and create a new one.

GKP
Message 5 of 12 (214 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Jun 4, 2013
So the only trying he needed to change the account password was the password? He didn't need my email password? If so, I'm pretty much a goner.
Message 6 of 12 (211 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jun 4, 2013
He never needed to know the DoB I entered?
Message 7 of 12 (209 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
31513 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 4, 2013

No.  He doesn't need your e-mail password. If he has the PSN account password, then he can change the account e-mail to his own.  Sony assumes that if you update the e-mail address, then you no longer have access to the old e-mail address; so it only confirms the new one. You never need to know the date-of-birth unless you need to recover a forgotten password, or a stolen account.  He didn't have to do either of those things.  You do.

GKP
Message 8 of 12 (207 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jun 4, 2013
So he could have changed the password by now, yes?
Message 9 of 12 (201 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jun 4, 2013
Can anybody point me to the correct support page please? I have a lot of purchased games on tat account. Can I at least report him so PSN can ban him?
Message 10 of 12 (187 Views)
0 Likes