Aug 05 2016
By: GigEm_06 First Son 1 posts

PSN Won't let me add funds to wallet

[ Edited ]
79 replies 45083 views Edited Aug 8, 2016

I've triple checked my credit card info, added and removed to reset it, I even added a PayPal account. It tells me "your credit card details are not valid" -- even when I try to pay with PayPal. I'm 100% sure the details are valid.

I can't make any purchases or add funds to my wallet. Is the system down? Has this happened to anyone else?

MOD EDIT: Moved from the PlayStation® Games & Services Support Forum. -minako85v
Message 1 of 80 (45,083 Views)
MVP Support
34305 posts

Re: PSN Won't let me add funds to wallet

Aug 6, 2016

The system would not be down only for you.  Does the home address in your PSN account information exactly match the billing address of the card, or Paypal account?  There can't be any differences.  It is the billing address reported by the bank when Sony tries to submit a charge that has to match your PSN account information.  Not the billing address that you enter yourself in your PSN account infomation.

GKP
Message 2 of 80 (45,069 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 7, 2016

I've seen this answer being given across different posts, and while I understand that information needs to match, I am positive it is not a correct answer.

Personally I have been using paypal as payment method for a year now, for both PS+ and to add money to the wallet, each time without problems. My paypal account or credit card or my place of residence hasn't changed at all. Suddenly within the last week or so, it stopped working with an error about invalid credit card.

How can this be related to credit card information if the card/paypal worked before?

Sony should fix the problem since it clearly originates from them. Or at least inform their customers about the problems.

Message 3 of 80 (45,040 Views)
MVP Support
34305 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 7, 2016

Sony does not publish the exact criteria for payment method acceptance, which has changed many times in PSN's history, generally in the direction of accepting fewer forms of payment.  PlayStation customer support has limited access to the billing system, and does not know in all cases why your card or account is not considered to be valid.  It isn't cost-effective for Sony to change the system for the convenience of a handful of users, so that is not going to happen.  You can always use PSN cards. 

GKP
Message 4 of 80 (45,029 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 8, 2016

I am having this problem as well. In fact its almost identical to the other poster.  The playstation store will not allow me to add funds to my wallet. I've verified that all my credit card information is ok and went as far as double checking with my card provider. The card provider confirmed that the playstation store is contacting them but not actually attempting a transaction.The provider also confirmed that there are no problems with my card either. I also tried paying with my paypal account and that failed as well. The problem is clearly with the playstation store site and not with my card or paypal account.

The advice given by the moderator "you can always use prepaid cards" is totally lame. There is a real problem here that is not being addressed. As a business, its hard to see how its in Sony's best interests to refuse payment from customers in good standing.

EDIT: I did finally get it to work. The problem was a mis-match of information between my card and my profile setting. I'm not sure which field was mis-match though, I just re-entered all my profile data to be exactly the same as my credit card. This includes adding my middle initial and removing a hyphen from the address field. Might have been one other difference as well.

Advice to Sony: make it more clear when a card fails which field is causing the trouble. Also make it clear that the profile and actual credit card data much match exactly. The data entered when you set up your card is not enough. Your profile name and address must match the card. A generic error message is unhelpful and caused extra work and delays. I realize this is just a gaming platform so no big deal to me if it doesn't work, but its not a game to Sony... its business.  So my statement about refusing payment from customers being a bad idea still stands.

Message 5 of 80 (44,993 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Aug 8, 2016
Just want to add that it is not always possible to get gift cards. And I am having this issue and can't figure out what the problem is either. I should have bought an Xbox One.
Message 6 of 80 (44,975 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Aug 9, 2016
Having the same issue. Can't add funds or use the card I have saved at checkout. I know my card works and the info matches my profile info.
Message 7 of 80 (44,955 Views)
First Son
6 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 26, 2016

Here`s the fix, for me at least....  have item in cart... go to acct settings....put yes where it say fund walllet auto..

Message 8 of 80 (44,524 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Nov 26, 2016

I've been having the same trouble the past couple of days, even though just a few days earlier I purchased a game with no problem.  I haven't changed anything on my account since the last purchase.  What is going on?  Can anyone explain this?  It seems like this happens every now and then with the psn store and randomly just ceases to exist.  It sucks when there's a sale and I can't buy something just because of some silly problem on Sony's end.  Don't they want my money?  Kind of silly.  Not like anyone will read this or care anyway.  So... I guess I'll just wait until the next time I can buy something.  Frustrating.

Message 9 of 80 (38,661 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Nov 27, 2016
I've been munsoned by PSN.
Message 10 of 80 (38,134 Views)
0 Likes