Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 29 2011
By: WVUFox First Son 4 posts

PSN Login Information Changed? Post-3.56 Update

7 replies 1013 views Edited Jan 29, 2011

Hello everyone.

I'm having a bit of an issue. Ever since I've owned my PS3, I've had in auto-sign in to my PSN account. However, I'm suddenly having some login trouble. This MAY or MAY NOT be related to the newest update, I'm not sure. Here's the situation:

I switched on my PS3 after not having touched it for a few weeks. When I tried to sign into the PSN Store it said an update was required (3.56). I downloaded and installed the update. Once that was finished I tried logging into the Store. I recieved a message that my password was wrong. I found this odd, since I don't remember changing my PSN password at all. I've tried all of my normal passwords with all of their variations (alternate numbers, etc), but nothing worked. I then tried visiting playstation.com and logging in there. Same issue - incorrect login information. I tried the 'reset your password' option, but when I enter my birthdate, it says it doesn't match. This is really odd since when I create accounts and it asks for a birthday I never bother entering false information. I've tried changing the day/month/year up and down a year thinking maybe I mis-entered it when I signed up but nothing works.

I thought maybe I got "hacked," but other than logging in on my PS3, I never really enter my password anywhere; I don't even use it to log into anything on the PC. I don't have any friends/relatives that access my PS3 other than my wife and she wouldn't even know how to change that information. Here's some other useful information:

-I am fairly certain I have logged into the PSN within the last month or so.

-This started happening after I downloaded the new update.

-I checked my email archives - I have NOT recieved anything regarding a change in account information/password/etc.

-I DO NOT SHARE MY PRIVATE INFORMATION WITH ANYONE - ANONYMOUS OR KNOWN. (I do not give login details to random people or even family members).

-My wife and I both had PSP3000s. We sold them both. Both had my PSN information on them at some point, but I'm almost 100% positive I removed those accounts from both devices.

-I think the PSPs may have something to do with it.

-I'm also nearly positive that I have since logged into the PSN account after having sold them.

I'm honestly not sure what has happened. I have bad luck when it comes to my login details changing/resetting themselves (my Steam login will randomly change the password on me for whatever reason). I really hope that other people are experiencing this issue and that it's something on Sony's end that is being looked into. I know I'm going to be told to call Sony's Customer Service, but it's currently 9:15pm on a Friday afternoon, which means I probably won't be able to call them until Monday

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 8 (1,013 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5377 posts

Re: PSN Login Information Changed? Post-3.56 Update

Jan 29, 2011

I doubt that the system update had anything to do with it since your account is stored server-side.

The PSP, on the other hand, sounds like a possible problem. Simply removing the account may not delete certain system files that store that information. Even a full system restore leaves some files intact. And with the PSP being as open a system as it is, a hacker can extract that information if it is there.

Sony is not known for it's customer service, or help with account information, but you never know.

Good Luck,

Sonic

Message 2 of 8 (1,012 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5377 posts

Jan 29, 2011

Wait a second!

Where did you go to use the "Forgot My Password" option?

Message 3 of 8 (1,012 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 29, 2011

I used the "Forgot My Password" option on both the PS3 and the playstation.com website. (Tried the website first. Birthdate error. Tried the PS3 second. Same error).

Even if any information - such as the email address - was changed, I'd get SOMETHING sent to the original email address, right? I've gotten nothing.

Message 4 of 8 (1,012 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 29, 2011

Also doubting it's an update issue. Just updated my friend's PS3 and he had no problem.    Guess I'll call CS tomorrow. Ugh.

EDIT:

So I decided to try to register an account with my original email address. It allowed me to do so. It did not allow me to use my old PSN Username, or whatever they're called. If that email was in use, it wouldn't have let me used that email.

I'm not quite sure what the hell is going on.

Message 5 of 8 (1,012 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5377 posts

Jan 29, 2011

OK, a few things:

a. You can't change your birth date. You seem like a smart guy (based on your internet grammar, which I find is a good indicator of such things) and I doubt you entered it wrong when you set up the account.

b. If the account e-mail was changed, you would get a notification e-mail. Said e-mail would also include the NEW e-mail address.

c. Because you know your birth date and the hacker's e-mail, you should be able to use password recovery.

Therefore, Either the hacker didn't change your e-mail (but then password recovery would've worked) or something else is going on.

d. Because you can create a new account  with the same e-mail, then that means your old account is gone. It makes sense that you can't re-use your name because most online services only allow usernames to be used once.

Conclusion: While there are TONS of possible answers, the most likely are (in order);

• Sony-side glitch
  • Banned (I would think you should have gotten an e-mail, but possibly not)
  • PSN was hacked (I mean the network itself)

Message 6 of 8 (1,012 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 29, 2011

I appreciate the help, Sonic. I'm not entirely sure why the account would have been deleted, but these things happen. As far as being banned goes, as I mentioned I never recieved a single email (in fact, the last email I got at the "registered" email address wason 11/23/10 regarding updates to Playstation Home) referrencing anything with my account, so unless I was banned and they didn't notify me that's probably not the case (though I'm open to the possibility).

The loss of the account isn't huge for me. My only concern is not being able to re-download titles I've purchased in the past.

Like I said, I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help!

Message 7 of 8 (1,012 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5377 posts

Jan 29, 2011

No problem, good luck.

Message 8 of 8 (1,012 Views)
0 Likes