Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 24 2013
By: Shadow-Man_4 Treasure Hunter 4826 posts
Accepted Solution

PSN IP fragments issue lately.

3 replies 241 views Edited Jul 24, 2013

This has happened when Update 4.45 was released, then was fixed when Update 4.46 was released. Now it's back again to me and some of my friends whom I asked to do a connection test on their PS3.

Basically, when it reaches NAT Type test, it takes abit longer than usual and then displays a message saying something along the lines of "your router doesn't support the use of IP fragments, some network features will be affected". I cannot join my friend in The Last of Us MP due to this. I was playing fine yesterday and had no issues. But today this message appears when testing connection.

Anybody else with this issue? Last time it happened it was from PSN. I'm sure it isn't a problem with my router, but something from Sony's servers.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (241 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18679 posts

Re: PSN IP fragments issue lately.

Jul 24, 2013

Shadow-Man_4 wrote:

This has happened when Update 4.45 was released, then was fixed when Update 4.46 was released. Now it's back again to me and some of my friends whom I asked to do a connection test on their PS3.

Basically, when it reaches NAT Type test, it takes abit longer than usual and then displays a message saying something along the lines of "your router doesn't support the use of IP fragments, some network features will be affected". I cannot join my friend in The Last of Us MP due to this. I was playing fine yesterday and had no issues. But today this message appears when testing connection.

Anybody else with this issue? Last time it happened it was from PSN. I'm sure it isn't a problem with my router, but something from Sony's servers.

I'm familiar with the firmware ver:4.45 IP fragment issue. I was all over it. As you have stated this was fixed with firmware ver:4.46.  This gives the impression that some of the "stability tweaks" introduced in 4.45 were messing up the way the system handles MTU. With 4.46 the problem was fixed and from my experience, the system network settings have been optimized. For example, my connection speed test results are, time after time, on point with the broadband package I'm paying for, as well as, with the results I get from my PC using speedtest.net. No more of those ridiculous results.

Now back to what you want to hear. I just did an Internet Connection Test and my results were on point and yielded no errors nor warning message about IP Fragments.

Perhaps this time around your issue is at the router level. What type internet connection you have: cable, DLS, etc?

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (236 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4826 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 24, 2013

It is DSL. Ethernet cable connected to my modem router (linksys WAG320N). I have my PS3 on DMZ, and just a few days ago I did a connection test and it was totally fine! I don't know why it just happened.

My friend in the same country is also having and the same issue, at the same time it started happening to me. I haven't even touched the router settings, I don't know why this happens just now.

What do you suggest I do? Could this be a problem due to the ISP?

EDIT: I just had to restart the router for it to work. Weird little bug. Thanks again for your time!

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (232 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18679 posts

Jul 24, 2013

Shadow-Man_4 wrote:

It is DSL. Ethernet cable connected to my modem router (linksys WAG320N). I have my PS3 on DMZ, and just a few days ago I did a connection test and it was totally fine! I don't know why it just happened.

My friend in the same country is also having and the same issue, at the same time it started happening to me. I haven't even touched the router settings, I don't know why this happens just now.

What do you suggest I do? Could this be a problem due to the ISP?

EDIT: I just had to restart the router for it to work. Weird little bug. Thanks again for your time!

Glad to be of help. Nice that the solution was as easy as that. :smileyhappy:

IP fragmentation is a MTU Issue. Maximum Transmission Unit, being the size of the largest pocket a network protocol can transmit.) Given that you have DLS, your connection to your ISP is done over PPPoE which MTU is 1492 [preferred]

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (225 Views)
0 Likes