Jul 18 2013
By: Troutfisch First Son 8 posts

PSN Connection issues

3 replies 243 views Edited Jul 18, 2013
For the past week and a half my PSN connection has been slower than normal and now I'm starting to have issues connecting altogether.

I started noticing this while playing Dragon's Dogma as I would frequently get connection errors when "Accessing Server" would appear on the screen, primarily after resting at an inn. I would have to sign in and out in XMB until I got a reliable connection but as of the past few days that isn't working for me and the errors are occurring more frequently.

I haven't moved anything around in my house and all my other wired and wireless devices are working just fine (typing this on my iPad right now for one). I've tried power cycling my modem and router and that didn't work either.

I performed numerous Internet connection tests and noticed that its having little trouble obtaining an IP address or Internet connection - THE PROBLEM comes when trying to connect to the PS Network.

It frequently fails and even if it manages to succeed it takes 30 seconds. Also the download and upload speeds almost always fail. Also see connection error 80029020 sometimes. What's funny is on the Connection Status list it always shows I'm connected and have a NAT 2 and when it does show my download speed it's 2.9 MB/S (sounds slow but where I live 3MB/S is the best you can get).

I've had this new PS3 since February and this router for a few years and never had a problem maintaining a connection like this. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 4 (243 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Re: PSN Connection issues

Jul 18, 2013
Tried power cycling again today but to no avail. I'm still having issues connecting to/staying connected to PSN but all my other devices (CPU, laptop, iPad, iPhone, etc) have no problem connecting to and remaining connected to my wireless connection.

I tried my Ps3 with both wired and wireless connection with the same results so the Ethernet cable isn't the issue either.

For more info here's what I'm working with:

ISP: Windstream
Modem: Speedstream 5200 DSL Modem (Bridged so I could get NAT2)
Router: Linksys WRT54G
PS3: 250 GB UC3 Model (Purchased 2-13)

As I said before, I haven't tweaked settings on any of my devices for several months and when I replaced my previous PS3 with this new one back in February, I've had no issues up until a week and a half ago.

Any assistance on this matter would be most appreciated, thanks again!
Message 2 of 4 (198 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Jul 19, 2013
Well after resetting my Linksys router to factory defaults and power cycling both it and the modem again, I'm still failing to connect to PSN!

Again all my other devices are connecting without a problem but my PS3 refuses to connect, even though the Status screen under Network Settings shows I have a wired NAT 2 connection.

So annoying...not sure what to do aside from calling Sony Technical Support.
Message 3 of 4 (183 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Jul 19, 2013
UPDATE: Managed to fix the problem everyone!

Called Sony tech support and they suggested port forwarding or enabling DMZ and using a static IP.

I did the latter and it worked! I simply enabled DMZ in my router settings and used one of the last numbers in my router's local IP address range. I then manually entered the Static IP into the Internet Connection Settings along with my router's address and it worked! I've got a strong connection and things are loading much faster.

Hopefully this will help out someone else in the future and big thanks to Sony technical support!
Message 4 of 4 (171 Views)