May 25 2013
By: kengie First Son 2 posts

PSN Change Region/Country Awareness

3 replies 2102 views Edited May 25, 2013

Hi PSN Moderators and Users,

I am writing this post to create some attention in hopes to have the PSN Marketing manager or Marketing Vice President about the hard work that we players work hard for our trophies and saves.

Just because we move to another country to live, we shouldn't be able to lose hundreds of hours of play time and trophies just because of region change.  I mean even Xbox live has come up with an idea to be able to change region/country once in three months.

This might be a bad analogy, but imagine losing your senior position at your job when you switch companies after all that hard work and years spent working to get that senior position.

I know I might get flamed a lot in regards to this post but I really did spent a lot of hours to get my trophies and I don't have to replay them over again on my "new" PSN account just to get it back again.

I hope that some kind hearted PSN representative/moderator would escalate this posts/news/information up to the higher up in the PSN coporate structure to have this turn around.

It is "bad" to mention and compare Xbox live stuff on a PSN website, but I mean they can do it.  Why Sony can't?

This would really mean a lot to the players.  Thank you all for seeing and listening.

Regards,

Kengie

Message 1 of 4 (2,102 Views)
MVP Support
29493 posts

Re: PSN Change Region/Country Awareness

May 25, 2013

First of all, you don't "lose" your account, or anything in it, when you move. Sony does absolutely nothing to stop you from using your previous PSN account when you relocate, and you can create a user profile for any PSN account on any console.  All you lose when you move is the ability to use electronic payment methods from your new country, with your old account.  Sony expects you to create a new PSN account to make content purchases when you move to a new country, but you are not required to abandon or stop using your previous account.  What makes you think that you are?

By the way, in the real world, people that resign their job at one company don't necessarily get offered a job at the same level at any company they work at in the future; so that happens all the time, and is perfectly normal.  So yes, it is a bad analogy.  So is XBox Live.  The location information for an XBox Live account isn't used for anything of significance.  Microsoft doesn't even require you to specify your location when you create an account or profile, unless you want to use electronic payments to make purchases.  Microsoft has no reason to restrict changes to something that it pays no attention to anyway.  The only reason you can only change your country once every three months on XBox Live is to prevent people from doing it routinely to avoid sales tax on Marketplace purchases.

GKP
Message 2 of 4 (2,095 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

May 25, 2013

Hi gkpama00,

Yes i would agree technically you are correct about not losing anything because your account is still active.  But then when you want to purchase a game in your "newly moved" country and the region is different (different DLC, different online pass that doesn't matches with your "old" country PSN), that means that you will need to import all your games since your new region  where you buy games will not be supported.  In my case, I have a HK PSN account, but I have just recenlty purchased Soul Sacrifice NA version.  That means I have just wasted 34.99USD for a game which I can't even go online to play now. 

Now on the losing part, I am going to lose all my trohpies and hundreds of hours of work (most of my games are grinding games, so yes I am going "lose" it if i need a US PSN account or "keep" it if I will need to permamently import all my games just to keep my trophies.

There are some people that like to be achievers and we would like to keep our trophies for display (some of the users on my list is already level 34 on PSN).  The point of trophies is to be displayed, isn't it?  

The purpose of this post was to try to get Sony Community Manager see that some players do care about the trophies that we work hard to get displayed on our avatars.  I wouldn't say that I am a pro-Sony player (but I do have 3 PS3, one PS Vita, one PSP, previously PS2 and PSOne.  At least that is my support for Sony), but at least can Sony (PSN) show some support back for the players?  I mean I don't mind paying to change my region to keep my trophies, just at least give me that option.

I don't know if this will ever reach any of the Sony higher ups, but at least I am trying to voice my opinion.  Isn't trophies suppose to be displayed and showed off?  ^_^

Kengie

Message 3 of 4 (2,091 Views)
MVP Support
29493 posts

May 25, 2013

I can almost guarantee that it won't reach the "higher ups" at Sony.  They certainly don't read this forum.  No one reads all of the posts in the forum, except for the forum moderators; and they don't pass along user requests to anyone.  You are posting this in the wrong place.  If you want to request a new feature, or a change to a Playstation product, you are supposed to use the PS.Blog.Share site (http://blog.us.playstation.com/).  People have already made this request, and functionally equivalent ones, years ago.  Sony already knows that people want this.  It hasn't been done, so clearly Sony doesn't think that this is an idea that it wants or needs to implement. 

You can still play Soul Sacrifice online.  You just have to continue to play with people in the US, instead of people in HK.  You only have to buy it again if you want to play with people in a different region.  I don't see why Sony would feel obligated to give you global game play with a game that was always designed for regional game play. I don't understand why you think that you are entitled to that. Portable playstation consoles can only use one PSN account at a time. You can still use all of your games and content exactly the same as you could before you left the US.  You haven't lost anything.  If you want to play with southeast Asian players now, then you need a new account, and new games and DLC. Sounds fair to me. You can still make purchases with your US account also.  You just have to use US PSN cards, which you can buy online with your HK credit card or Paypal account.

Changing the country attribute on your PSN account would not do what you want anyway.  It is way more complex than that.  The country attribute of your PSN account determine which Playstation Store you access.  The content in the HK Playstation Store is different than the content in the US Playstation Store, even when it has the same title.  If you changed the country of your US account, you would end up with a HK PSN account with nothing purchased in the Playstation Store.  But you could get the same thing by just creating a second PSN account for HK. Your trophies would only transfer for games that are marketed in both North America and HK. It isn't clear what would happen to the rest.  They might be deleted, or they might just remain only in your console trophy collection, where they would be lost if your storage failed.  The best case scenario would be if PSN preserved, but did not display, unrecognized trophies. 

What you are asking for is much more than just changing the account region.  What you want is to be able to change the country for the account, and then have all of your Playstation Store purchases exchanged for the equivalent ones in the new country's Playstation Store, to the extent that the content even exists there.  Just forget about that.  There is no "game importing" in PSN, even within a region.  It is way too technically and legally complex for Sony to want to bother with, and the company has no financial incentive to undertake such a project. Changing the region of your account may seem like a simple thing, but making it work the way that you want it to isn't simple at all.

GKP
Message 4 of 4 (2,083 Views)
0 Likes