Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 22 2011
By: Myth93 First Son 11 posts

PSN Ban Help...

24 replies 861 views Edited Sep 22, 2011

So a friend of mine has had their ISP banned from using PSN so is there a waiting period or is it an indefinitely permanent ban?

Join The Society @ http://kay.invisionzone.com/ , a forum site that houses many people from around the net. PSN members always welcome to join, tell them Myth sent you if you join and your welcome shall be greatly received!
Message 1 of 25 (861 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5377 posts

Re: PSN Ban Help...

Sep 22, 2011

Welcome to the PlayStation Community!

Just for clarification, do you mean "IP address?" ISP stands for Internet Service Provider, or the company who provides you access to the internet.

Message 2 of 25 (861 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Sep 22, 2011

I misread what they said I guess, but yes the IP address but they said they wouldn't be able to get on unless they switched their ISP. I've been banned before myself for a minor infraction but I'm not sure about this.

Join The Society @ http://kay.invisionzone.com/ , a forum site that houses many people from around the net. PSN members always welcome to join, tell them Myth sent you if you join and your welcome shall be greatly received!
Message 3 of 25 (861 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Support
6744 posts

Sep 22, 2011

As far as why he's been banned - we can't discuss this in an open forum.

My advice would be to call Customer Service and clarify it with them. They can usually tell you the nature of the ban and how long it's going to be for.

Sometimes it can be for a week, a month, a year or permanent depending on the nature of the offence.

800-345-SONY (7669)

Mon- Sat 6:00AM - 8:00PM Pacific / Sun 7:00AM - 6:30PM Pacific

Message 4 of 25 (861 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Sep 22, 2011

Why's it assumed my friend's a he? Why can't I have an explanation PM'd to me or e-mailed? And this isn't a US PSN account so I don't know if it would matter that I contact SONY...

Message 5 of 25 (861 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5377 posts

Sep 22, 2011

Your friend should get an e-mail within 48 hours to explain the offence and length of the ban.

But hold up: Sony doesn't ban by IP address. Anyone can change their IP address in seconds. Sony bans you by your PSID. Changing ISP's wouldn't fix anything. So something doesn't make since here.

Message 6 of 25 (861 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Support
6744 posts

Sep 22, 2011

Myth93 wrote:

Why's it assumed my friend's a he? Why can't I have an explanation PM'd to me or e-mailed? And this isn't a US PSN account so I don't know if it would matter that I contact SONY...

Sorry to make assumptions there - didn't mean to offend!

And since this is the US PS Community - I also assumed that the user was in the US. The number I supplied is in the US so it would be no use to them.

Where are they located?

And Sonic is correct - they should receive an e-mail as to why this ban has been placed, though sometimes they wind up in the spam/junk mail box and go unnoticed.

The user won't get a PM via the forum unless it is concerning a ban from the forum itself.

Message 7 of 25 (861 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5377 posts

Sep 22, 2011

Trawnza wrote:

The user won't get a PM via the forum unless it is concerning a ban from the forum itself.

Off-Topic: Wait, you get a PM if you're banned here? How do you...I mean...how do you go about...like...how do you read it?

Message 8 of 25 (861 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
16912 posts

Sep 22, 2011

Myth93 wrote:

So a friend of mine has had their ISP banned from using PSN so is there a waiting period or is it an indefinitely permanent ban?

Sony may decide to block traffic from a particular ISP; in cases where the ISP fails to cooperate in dealing with a technical, legal, or security issue involving one or more of their customers. Blocking the ISP is sometimes necessary because, as noted earlier in the thread, blocking by IP address isn't effective. In these cases, the point is not to block access to PSN by a specific individual (who could just use a different Internet connection), but rather to motivate the ISP to cooperate with Sony in resolving whatever issue Sony has.  The ban is likely to continue until the ISP decides to comply with Sony's demands, or government regulators intervene on the ISP's behalf.

GKP
Message 9 of 25 (861 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Sep 22, 2011

That's what I thought but here's what my friend sent me

"I guess im screwed "It bans the ip address that your isp gives you, your thinking of the network address which is similar but not the same. Essentially if you get banned no one can access the PSN from your house again unless you switch isp's. PlayStation forums works the same and afterdawn does this in cases where people create accounts then get banned repeatedly"

Message 10 of 25 (861 Views)
0 Likes