Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 16 2011
By: Veitsknight2 First Son 10 posts

PSN Account Activation Limit

24 replies 10647 views Edited Dec 16, 2011

I use to have an account for gamesharing, 5 of us shared it. One of us died of cancer (To be honored in Borderlands 2) and his PS3 is now out of our reach. I decided to deactivate all accounts using the Qriocity account management page (A very helpful addition if i might add).

Now, Im wondering, can the 4 of us activate the account with the 2 activation limit? If not, what happens to the previous games that still fall in the 5 PS3 activation limit?
If yes, how do we chose which of us can get in the 2 activation limit thing? Is it fiirst come first serve?

Message 1 of 25 (10,647 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Re: PSN Account Activation Limit

Dec 16, 2011

Gamesharing is a violation of the terms of service you all agreed to when you signed up for PSN accounts; it can get you permanently banned, and probably will since you just posted on the official PlayStation forum.

Good luck.

Message 2 of 25 (10,647 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Dec 16, 2011

I don't understand. I thought it was permitted up to 5 PS3's before and newer purchases is limited to 2 PS3's. How can this get me banned when it is permitted?

Message 3 of 25 (10,647 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29599 posts

Dec 16, 2011

Veitsknight2 wrote:

I don't understand. I thought it was permitted up to 5 PS3's before and newer purchases is limited to 2 PS3's. How can this get me banned when it is permitted?

It is NOT permitted, just because you can, or should I say used to be able to have up to five (5) PS3's activated doesn't mean you can give your password & login detais to 4 friends, that's stealing, it is for your use & your use ONLY, & the Prof is corrrect, you are likely to be banned or suspended over this, you have openly admitted to game-sharing on the official Sony Playstation Forums!

Message 4 of 25 (10,647 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 17, 2011

It doesn't help that 5 years ago that SCEA President Jack Tretton actually advocated gamesharing with friends:

Sony announced that players who download games from PlayStation's online shop can share them on up to five other PS3 machines.

If a player logs into his PlayStation 3 account on a friend's system, he can download any game he has already purchased. "You can send that content to four other friends for that initial investment," said Tretton. "We want to get the game in as many hands as possible."

"It's not about generating profits at each and every interaction with the consumer," he said. "I think that really offsets the argument that says, 'Wow, that's a really pricey system.'"

http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/news/2006/10/71982

But I am sure that Sony has changed the TOS since then. I agree you shouldn't gameshare anymore, it is far more trouble than it is worth now...

Message 5 of 25 (10,647 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
830 posts

Dec 17, 2011

And being that this community member has asked about this issue openly, I wouldn't be so quick to frighten him with the fear of a ban.  He'd get a friendly PM to start with explaing these terms.  Come on folks,  we're not so harsh.  

Besides,  the fact that PS3 had this functionality in the first place was a great thing that no "other" console ever had.

Photobucket

Message 6 of 25 (10,647 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Dec 17, 2011

Well, it is a seperate account where the 5(now only 4) of us pool our resources to buy PSN games. We do the same with hard copies. Not all of us can readily afford some of these games you know, especially with the overpriced digital content.

None of you have yet to answer my question. Is it still possible to activate 5 PS3s after pressing the Deactivate all button on the account management page? If not, what are we to do with the games that still fall under the old 5 System rule?

Message 7 of 25 (10,647 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 17, 2011

Someone before has reported that they did deactivate all their systems and was unable to activate games on more than 2 systems afterward, even though it was purchased before the cutoff period, so you might have issues.

The old/new policy dynamic is confusing to me, but it doesn't seem reasonable to think Sony is going to keep accurate track of what PSN item is purchased when and maintain a correct count of activated consoles to me. It would be far easier to have everything the same.

So to be on the safe side, I think it is far better at this point not to deactivate any systems at all if you want any games (under the old policy) to remain on more than 2 activated systems...

Message 8 of 25 (10,647 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
17362 posts

Dec 17, 2011

Veitsknight2 wrote:

Well, it is a seperate account where the 5(now only 4) of us pool our resources to buy PSN games. We do the same with hard copies. Not all of us can readily afford some of these games you know, especially with the overpriced digital content.

None of you have yet to answer my question. Is it still possible to activate 5 PS3s after pressing the Deactivate all button on the account management page? If not, what are we to do with the games that still fall under the old 5 System rule?

No you will only be able to have 2 activated at a time but any content already on the other 3 will still be available. I just went thru this with my nephew. I have multiple PS3s and I also had him on. Due to the change I had to deactivate his but he still has what was downloaded before the policy change went into effect. Your problem now is deciding which 2 will remain activated.

Message 9 of 25 (10,647 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Dec 18, 2011

I solved it using the info that the customer service gave me. You can activate the game (via download list) from the old 5 system cut off and it will activate all the games with from before the new system without registering it as a system activation.

Proof: 2 PS3s active, manually deactivated mine. Then went to the download history and downloaded a game, waited for it to activate, and cancelled the download (i already had it installed).

All my old games now work and in the account management page, it only sees 1 device as activated.

The hint they gave me was that they said "Activate the games". I hope this helps any of you wondering about this as well.

Message 10 of 25 (10,647 Views)
0 Likes