Jan 26 2015
By: BlueKnightXero First Son 2 posts

PS4 Wi-FI Issues?

21 replies 54460 views Edited Jan 26, 2015

I bought my PS4 about a month ago (the Destiny bundle, if that matters) and Destiny is what's been keeping me on the system for the time being.  As per the initial PS4 boot-up, I connected it to my house's modem via wi-fi.  We have Comcast/Xfinity, modem model Arris TG862.  I haven't even tried to tinker with it (still has the same password as when we got it a year or so ago); messing with modems is beyond me and any suggestions for changing its settings will likely go over my head.

Until recently, and especially last night, my PS4 seemed to work pretty smoothly.  I did download The Swapper and Infamous: First Light with a PS+ trial and it seemed to do that fine (took a while with Infamous, but I figured that was more the file size).  There have been times I played Destiny for 5-6 hours at a time with little to no issue.  I probably got kicked out of my session less than half a dozen times until last night.  However, whenever I'd try to browse the PS Store or view my friends profiles, it'd either take forever to load or not load at all.  At the time I just shrugged it aside and figured it was some network maintenance.  Anywho, last night I tried playing Destiny, but it kept kicking me out of my sessions, usually every 5 minutes, with a myriad of error codes (baboon, weasel, chicken, honeydew).  I began to figure this was just a Destiny issue, but when I tried doing other online functions with the PS4 itself, more seemed to be going amiss than I thought.  As I mentioned, I previously had trouble going through the PSN menus, and this persisted into last night's sessions.  The menus (say "Demoes" for instance) were technically accessible, but no images or info would load up, so all i could see was the blue background while I browsed through a series of invisible menu screens.  It had no trouble showing me the offers for PS+ under its corresponding menu, however.

At that point I decided to unplug and replug my modem, even though I doubt that was the issue (I was streaming music on Spotify through my phone connected to the same wi-fi network no problem, which I usually do while playing Destiny).  When the modem was back up, I went through establishing the network connection again.  However, when it hit the PSN screen for the network test it failed.  I try that about 6 more times and it finally gets the message and establishes connection, albeit with abysmal download/upload speeds projected (31.9 kbps download, 429.3 kbps upload).  Yet I tried a subsequent test connection immediately after that and it bumped up to 11.4 mbps download and 1.3 mbps...that didn't change the issues at all, however.  By then I decided to take my long ethernet cable and bring it from behind my furniture to straight across my room to connect my PS4 directly to the router.  Once I told the PS4 to connect via LAN cable it seemed to load PSN menus without issue and Destiny seemed to run smoothly, but at that point I was too tired and frustrated to continue playing.  I haven't been back on since waking up.

So can anyone shed some light, advice and insight on this?  Why would the wi-fi connection to my PS4/Destiny suddenly crap out like this?  It's even more baffling when you consider I could browse online with no problem on my phone (Galaxy S5) and my MacBook all the while.  I can probably keep my PS4 connected wired if necessary, but I'd prefer for all my consoles to be connected wirelessly (which they are), on account of my modem being in a different room (including a wall, there's probably 12 or so feet of distance between it and my PS4, PS3 and Xbox 360).  It's just more convenient.  But if buying a router and multiple ethernet cables would be the better move to keep a stable connection on all my consoles, I may just do that. 

Message 1 of 22 (54,460 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Re: PS4 Wi-FI Issues?

Jan 28, 2015

Hey, I've been having the same exact problem,. I have the same router too. Don't bother contacing ps support or comcast because they don't know how to crap and didnt help. I completley restarted my ps4 and that didnt help either.

Message 2 of 22 (54,418 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
34755 posts

Jan 29, 2015

Don't compare the PS4 network performance to other devices.  Different devices can have different signal strength in the same physical location.  They don't have the same wireless chips set, the same antenna, or the same case composition or dimensions.  To test if signal strength is the problem, temporarily move the console so that it is in the same room as the wireless router, or so that there is a clear line-of-sight between the console and the wireless router.  If the problem goes away, then the wall is the problem, or more accurately, the angle that the signal is passing through the wall is the problem.  You can probably fix that with a Wi-Fi extender that you can buy at any office superstore or Best Buy.  Radio signals effectively travel in a straight line between the transmitter and the receiver.  You want the radio signal to go through the wall at a right angle, optimally.  The futher the angle is from 90 degrees, the thicker the wall appears to the radio signal, no matter how thick the wall actually is.  By placing the Wi-Fi Extender in the correct position, you can get the Wi-Fi signal though the wall with minimal signal loss.  Your other devices can then connect to the extender. The fact that it works fine with the cable suggests that the Wi-Fi network is the problem.  It is also possible that your streaming is affecting the latency of the network.  If you were streaming video then I would suspect that first, but audio streaming should not use that much bandwidth.

An 11.4Mbps download is not uncommonly slow for PSN.  That does not indicate any problem. Less than 1Mbps is slower than it should be normally.

GKP
Message 3 of 22 (54,406 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 6, 2015

So I had the same issue. I called xfinty twice and the two people originally talked to couldn't help. Reluctantly  tried again and the technician just so happen  to be gamer . He went into the router and changed the port forwarding and lowered my firewall protection. If you call with this info hopefully they can help you my connection is amazing  now.

Message 4 of 22 (54,333 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Mar 21, 2015

I know same here every time i start my ps4 and play destiny it keeps kicking me out saying can't connect to ur internet or singnal too weak i play destiny and haven't really played anything up till now because of my horrible ADSL MODEM it's driving me crazy PLEASE SOMENONE HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 5 of 22 (54,275 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1957 posts

Mar 21, 2015

Just get a pair of powerline ethernet adaptors, less than the price of a game and they'll fix your wifi problems.

Message 6 of 22 (54,260 Views)
First Son
1 posts

May 25, 2015

i fixed mine by hooking up a wireless modem to my main modem, but u need the wireless modems with antenna's and they gotta be a lil old school but i havent had no problems since

Message 7 of 22 (53,961 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 10, 2015
Hey I jes recently got mines less month... I have to same problem.. I need to know if PSN is down I couldn't login or connect my wifi...! I need to know help
Message 8 of 22 (52,937 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
193 posts

Jul 12, 2015
When I first got it and used wifi it sucked worse than my PS3 for Internet so I got Ethernet cables and it made it better but it's still terrible since xfinity promises 50mbs but we only get max 25 my ps4 with wifi just showed up as kbs
Message 9 of 22 (52,655 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Re: PS4 Wi-FI Issues? POSSIBLE ANSWER FOR YOU!

Oct 6, 2015

ANSWER!! (FOR ME AT LEAST) i have been having this issue with my ps4 also. when i first got it, i didn't have any issues with it; i could stream netflix for hours without any issues. but a couple months ago it started acting up, i couldn't watch netflix i couldn't even go to the psn store, nothing would load. and when tested the internet connection everything checked out except the download speed was at like 20kb per second. which is ridiculous because i normally get 70mb per second. i looked online and found posts just like this but i could never find any answers that would help me. so i just started watching netflix on my computer and forgot about the problem for a while. then a week or two later i decided to see if the problem magically solved itself aaannddd it did! i have no idea what caused it or how it got fixed but i didn't think much about it until it happened again another couple weeks later. same problem, i couldn't do anything that recquired internet on my ps4 even though all my other devices worked just fine. so the second time this happened i thought about everything i had done that could have caused it and one thing i did notice is that i had changed the theme on my ps4. so i figured what the hell, i went in and changed the theme back to the stock flow theme and voila! i could get on to netflix and do evertying else that recquired internet. now i know you will probably think this is complete nonsense and doesn't make sense, well i agree, i don't understand how changing a theme can fix the issue but it did, and multiple times also. as i'm writing this i just changed my theme back to flow because of the same issue happening again and it's working for the most part. this is an easy fix so go ahead and try it, i'm not guaranteeing it will work for you but it's worth a try! i hope this helps !

Message 10 of 22 (48,723 Views)