Highlighted
Aug 24 2012
By: KaptainKornhole First Son 6 posts

PS3 won't sign on unless I broadcast my SSID even if set manually - Help?

9 replies 1798 views Edited Aug 24, 2012

Greetings,

I've entered all my wireless settings manually (WPA not WPA2) but I don't broadcast my SSID.  When I broadcast my SSID I can get connected.  I then disable SSID broadcasting and I'm still online until I turn the PS3 off.  Then it can't connect again.  I really don't want to broadcast my SSID and I've verified all my settings are correct.  That's proven by the fact I broadcast my SSID with the same settings and I get right on.  This happened on my 360 but once I made the initial connection, it always reconnects even with the SSID now disabled.  Any ideas why the PS3 can't seem to connect unless the SSID is broadcast?

Message 1 of 10 (1,798 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Re: PS3 won't sign on unless I broadcast my SSID even if set manually - Help?

[ Edited ]
Aug 29, 2012

I am having the exact same problem. I had my PlayStation up and working with my SSID Broadcasting Disabled but then I swapped my router out with an upgraded model and now it will only connect if I Broadcast the SSID. I feel that it has something to do with the latest PS3 update because mine had been working perfectly for years with the SSID hidden and all settings on the router are the same and all of my other devices on my network that were already setup on the old router came back on and connected without any problems. I also have no desire to broadcast the SSID because I like the extra security... I first hide the SSID, use MAC Filtering, and of course the best line of defense is the WPA2 authentication with a completely random and complex AES encryption key.

Message 2 of 10 (1,772 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 31, 2012

One resolution to the problem is to simply add a bridge to your system which depending on the type of network you have could allow you to connect at much faster speeds but it adds more equipment to your network and additional cost if of course you don't just have an extra bridge laying around. I have chosen to try an unbrick my old WRT610N and load DD-WRT firmware so that I can use it as a bridge... It would be nice to get wireless N speeds to my PS3 and solve my problem with the SSID at the same time. It would be better though if Sony would release an update fixing the problem.

Message 3 of 10 (1,739 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
154 posts

Sep 2, 2012
When your entering your SSID information, are you pressing the Start button on the ps3 controller to finish? Sometimes when you take this action, it creates a space on the line. I would imagine that your router is not broadcasting that space. Try re-entering the SSID manually and manually manuver the controller selection down to where it says enter, to finish
Message 4 of 10 (1,712 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18928 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 2, 2012

There really is no security is hiding your SSID.  Real security is at implementing a complex alphanumeric password for accessing your router web-interace, as well as, to connect to its WiFi broadcast. Furthermore, real security is at the router's firewall level. In other words, if someone really wants to take over your WLAN, hiding the SSID wont stop them. 

Have fun and get clever with the SSID and name it something like for example, Backdoor.IRCBot or DDOS.SQL.  Mine is called "morningstar.asm"  Then just get back to enjoying your PS3 Smiley Happy

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 5 of 10 (1,702 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Sep 10, 2012

So you are suggesting users broadcast their network SSID, and I am sure you would say not to bother with setting up a MAC Address filter as well? This is far from sound advice, they both add a layer of potential security in comparison to having neither set up.
For a home network both the MAC address filter and disabling the SSID broadcast is not only simple to do but does actually offer more security to their network, whether it be minimal or not the benefit is still there and recommending both be disabled is due to the hassle they cause is ridiculous. It is well known that these methods can be bypassed fairly easily but they will still add an additional step to the process when someone is trying to hack the network security therefore adding to the security. I would never in a million years tell someone to rely solely on either one of these methods for their networks security but I will always recommend a person to use them in addition to a very strong and completely random 64 character passphrase using letters, numbers and other various characters. I use WPA2  authentication with AES encryption which is the primary line of defense, the other layers are simply used to cost a would be hacker additional time and frustration.

Message 6 of 10 (1,652 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Sep 10, 2012

I ended up getting a WET610N wireless N bridge to solve my issues and get a wireless N connection to my PS3 but thanks for the advice.

Message 7 of 10 (1,651 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Sep 10, 2012
I don't think that it was adding a space but it is possible so anyone else with the same problem should check.
Message 8 of 10 (1,649 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18928 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 11, 2012

UnleashThePsycho wrote:

So you are suggesting users broadcast their network SSID, and I am sure you would say not to bother with setting up a MAC Address filter as well? This is far from sound advice, they both add a layer of potential security in comparison to having neither set up.
For a home network both the MAC address filter and disabling the SSID broadcast is not only simple to do but does actually offer more security to their network, whether it be minimal or not the benefit is still there and recommending both be disabled is due to the hassle they cause is ridiculous. It is well known that these methods can be bypassed fairly easily but they will still add an additional step to the process when someone is trying to hack the network security therefore adding to the security. I would never in a million years tell someone to rely solely on either one of these methods for their networks security but I will always recommend a person to use them in addition to a very strong and completely random 64 character passphrase using letters, numbers and other various characters. I use WPA2  authentication with AES encryption which is the primary line of defense, the other layers are simply used to cost a would be hacker additional time and frustration.

Do not assume and then express yourself in such way that implies your assumption is my word; for I never said anything about MAC filtering.

Yes, I'm telling people to broadcast their SSID to something other than the default and to broadcast it; for the weight of the benefit gain from hiding it is worthless compared to not being able to establish a WLAN connection between the PS3 & the router.

The hide SSID broadcast feature found in NAT routers was not created with security mind nor is meant to provide any security, nor has it been updated/improved by router manufacturers to provide any security. Relying in such feature as a "extra security layer," as you suggest, is indeed far from sound advice.

MAC filtering, while fairly easy to mask, was build with security in mind and I do recommend its use for it does add an extra layer of security. Would this stop a tech savvy person from hacking into a WiFi network? No. Would it make the task an extra bit tedious, yes. Making it hard and tedious is what security is all about.

--------

Btw, you cannot establish a wireless n connection with the PS3 for it only supports b & g. Make sure you are broadcasting a mixed g/n signal.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 9 of 10 (1,622 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Sep 11, 2012

First off you most definitely came off as just another one of the thousands of people who would recommend avoiding the MAC Address filtering being that almost all that have told others or I to simply broadcast the SSID have also either at the same time or later said to also avoid MAC Filtering which is why I asked if you would  also suggest it... I completely disagree with your statement about disabling the SSID as the facts prove otherwise. Disabling the SSID broadcasting adds little security because it is only able to prevent the SSID from being broadcast with Probe Request and Beacon frames. As I stated before it DOES add to the security but there are various ways to get around this slight set back for anyone attempting to hack a network.

And by the way you can get wireless N speeds to a PS3... As I stated in my last post I mentioned that I have chosen to add an wireless N bridge to my system which is directly connected to my PS3 now bypassing the built in wireless adapter so please don't tell me what I can and can not do. If you would like any further courses on how networks work just let me know.  Smiley Happy

oh yeah and I almost forgot... If the added feature and primary topic of our discussion was not added for security (the little bit that it gives) then please tell me why it was added? If you had the option to broadcast your networks passphrase would you choose to do so? I would hope not because it might hurt the security of your network a little... Any information needed to access the network which is withheld from an unauthorized person is a form of security.

Message 10 of 10 (1,615 Views)
0 Likes