Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 31 2012
By: libra-sagitta First Son 6 posts

PS3 won't connect to the internet

4 replies 3934 views Edited Jan 31, 2012

Hello. Recently I attempted to connect my 160GB PS3 to the internet via a wireless connection. The system picked up an IP address but said the connection to the internet failed. I disabled the media server thing after reading about other people's problems connecting to the internet (maybe I shouldn't have done that, I don't know) and enabled it again and now the system doesn't even pick up the IP address. I hope I didn't mess it up beyond repair or anything. I've only had the system for about a month.

Message 1 of 5 (3,934 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
31147 posts

Re: PS3 won't connect to the internet

Jan 31, 2012

Try disabling Media Server, unless you want to stream movies from your PC it's not required.

Also what results do you get when you perform an internet connection test?

Message 2 of 5 (3,934 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4029 posts

Jan 31, 2012

Moved to PSN Support. 

-SP

Message 3 of 5 (3,934 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Jan 31, 2012

You should restart the wireless router. If that seems to do the trick, then check the router manufacturer's website for software (firmware) updates for your router. Also, try changing the wireless channel to one that's less occupied in your neighborhood on 1, 6 or 11.

Message 4 of 5 (3,934 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Feb 2, 2012

Thanks everyone. I apologize for the late reply (also, sorry for posting this in the wrong place). I was able to fix the problem. I am trying to connect to a college wireless network, so I thought that might be the problem. Once I registered the device to the network, I refreshed the page a few times and now the system connects to the internet without a problem.

@BRIT-KO: When I performed an internet connection test before it said it obtained an IP address but failed to connect to the internet. I believe that was probably due to the fact that I had to register the system.

Message 5 of 5 (3,934 Views)
0 Likes