Aug 29 2013
By: Huzayfa9 First Son 5 posts

PS3 speed test issue !

9 replies 1719 views Edited Aug 29, 2013

Hello everybody ...

I have been looking long time ago ... for a solution ... or even a reason for what I can call now " a real mysterious problem " in the PS3 ..

Iam sorry for saying that .. but across tens of gaming and broadband forums .. no one could even identify what is real reason for this.

although my connection speed is 40/10 mbps ... and I have this full bandwidth on my PC ... the PS3 built-in speed test never excees 7/2

mbps !! .... basically ... what is the problem ? I just need to know what is this ... no need for solution ..

and before you ask :

Yes , Iam putting my PS3 into DMZ .. all ports are fowarded .. it is not a setting issue at all ..

" PS3 speed test is inaccurate" .... but 33/8 mbps diffrence is somthing "beyond" accuracy ..

"PSN servers are slow" ... that is not true .. my friend in the other side of my state is having 75 mbps on his ps3 .. at 100 mbps connection ..

Thank you so much

Message 1 of 10 (1,719 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14484 posts

Re: PS3 speed test issue !

Aug 29, 2013

Many factors can influence your connection speed - are you wired with your PC and wireless with your PS3?  How far away is your PS3 from your router?  Anything in the way like walls, other electronic devices?

** Use a unique password for your PSN ID - one you don't use anywhere else **
** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **

”Signature-1.jpg”
MVP Terms and Conditions ________________(=^‥^=)________________ Forum Rules of Conduct
========== SONY Customer Service 800-345-7669 or Link to Live Chat ==========

Message 2 of 10 (1,703 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Aug 29, 2013

the PS3's own speed test even gives you a disclaimer thats its not an accurrate representation of the speed you're getting.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 3 of 10 (1,700 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
305 posts

Aug 29, 2013

vfr_800_rider wrote:

Many factors can influence your connection speed - are you wired with your PC and wireless with your PS3?  How far away is your PS3 from your router?  Anything in the way like walls, other electronic devices?

Yes.  Are you wired or wireless?

Message 4 of 10 (1,673 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 29, 2013

Hello again ...

Iam using a wired connection ... never used wireless for gaming ..

thanks

Edit: Thread moved from PS General section

-Stage_Coach

Message 5 of 10 (1,667 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1623 posts

Aug 29, 2013

like posted above the speed test is not accurate on the PS3

also your friend accross State is likely connecting to a dirfferent PSN server

Message 6 of 10 (1,654 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

Aug 29, 2013

Huzayfa9 wrote:

Hello everybody ...

I have been looking long time ago ... for a solution ... or even a reason for what I can call now " a real mysterious problem " in the PS3 ..

Iam sorry for saying that .. but across tens of gaming and broadband forums .. no one could even identify what is real reason for this.

although my connection speed is 40/10 mbps ... and I have this full bandwidth on my PC ... the PS3 built-in speed test never excees 7/2

mbps !! .... basically ... what is the problem ? I just need to know what is this ... no need for solution ..

and before you ask :

Yes , Iam putting my PS3 into DMZ .. all ports are fowarded .. it is not a setting issue at all ..

" PS3 speed test is inaccurate" .... but 33/8 mbps diffrence is somthing "beyond" accuracy ..

"PSN servers are slow" ... that is not true .. my friend in the other side of my state is having 75 mbps on his ps3 .. at 100 mbps connection ..

Thank you so much

This is a redundancy issue. Setup up your PS3 with a Static IP and different Primary and Secondary DNS Servers than the default ones, and then place the new static IP in DMZ OR forward the ports. Not both.

I find it very difficult to believe your friend is getting 75mb on a 100mb connection. I have never heard of anyone getting more than 48% of their rated ISP speed on a PS3. Does not mean it's not possible, but I find it hard to believe.

And yes, you should be getting around an 18/5 speed, but as noted the PS3 test is not accurate. You can use the PS3 browser and go to DSL reports and do a speed test there.

Currently playing Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

60GB Fat OFW 4.50
250GB SuperSlim OFW 4.50
Message 7 of 10 (1,651 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Aug 29, 2013

I was sure ... someone will find that 70 mbps on the ps3 sounds unbelievable ..

but Here is the proof directly from my friend screen :

http://s13.postimg.org/4mvv8rumf/o_SFXCheyhbi0_BMQi_WIejeqyp_BGz_Fz6_Ws_Uk_Lw_Ar_Sj_BRs.jpg

thanks

Message 8 of 10 (1,631 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Aug 30, 2013

W_W_Heisenberg wrote:

like posted above the speed test is not accurate on the PS3

also your friend accross State is likely connecting to a dirfferent PSN server

this is strongly can be the real point ... I really appreciate ..

but ... can I change the PSN server that Iam connected to anyhow ?

because I read in another forum that every PS3 console is linked with a certin PSN server during manufacture ..

I just need to confirm this .. so I can throw my old fat 80 GB PS3 through the window .. and bring a new super-slim one..

seeing my full bandwidth on the PS3 test or even something close to .. does really mean a lot for me ..

thanks

Message 9 of 10 (1,617 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

Aug 30, 2013

Huzayfa9 wrote:

I was sure ... someone will find that 70 mbps on the ps3 sounds unbelievable ..

but Here is the proof directly from my friend screen :

http://s13.postimg.org/4mvv8rumf/o_SFXCheyhbi0_BMQi_WIejeqyp_BGz_Fz6_Ws_Uk_Lw_Ar_Sj_BRs.jpg

thanks

WOW...that is an amazing download speed however the upload is terrible. I get 5mb up on a 20mb connection.

I did provide some information that may help on setting up a Static IP in my above post if you do not already have your PS3 set up that way.

Currently playing Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

60GB Fat OFW 4.50
250GB SuperSlim OFW 4.50
Message 10 of 10 (1,608 Views)
0 Likes