Jul 17 2011
By: MysteryPerson Treasure Hunter 5263 posts

PS3 constantly dropping connection for a second then picking it up again?

8 replies 1918 views Edited Jul 17, 2011

I really need help. My PS3 connection will randomly drop and it's driving me insane. It doesn't kick me off PSN all it does is my connection drops to one bar (Black Ops) and I get the infamous "Connection Interrupted" message. This has happened before and eventually goes away in a day or two. I noticed that this started happening when I got bored and hit "Renew Lease" on my iphone under my wifi settings. What does this do? Or was it just a coincidence? Either way I've tried oppening ports and when I checked my connection on my PS3 it said the download was around 11MBs and the upload was .9. I googled a bunch of stuff and found something about activating DMZ. With DMZ activated my download was 21MBs but I also read that it might be dangerous so I quickly turned this back off without first testing if it would fix my problem. Help??

If it matters, I'm using a WRT54G Linksys router. My cables are fine and when my connection drops all the lights are fine. My iPhone or laptop arent dropping my connection. Yeah it has a password and I already checked so I'm the only one on my router.

EDIT: Nat Type 2

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (1,918 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Re: PS3 constantly dropping connection for a second then picking it up again?

Jul 17, 2011

You should get the newest firmware from Linksys for your WRT54G router. Afterwards, make sure UPnP is turned on in the Administration tab in the router webpage.

Are you using wireless? Try channel 1 or channel 11 and see which one gives you the strongest signal.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (1,918 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5377 posts

Jul 17, 2011

Unfortunately, if the connection touches the ground before the system has possession, it is not a catch under any circumstance. Even thought your system may pick it up almost immediately, it is dead as soon as it touches the ground.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (1,918 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5263 posts

Jul 17, 2011

I'm wired and I can't believe this is STILL going on. I opened up ports, made my PS3 have a static IP, tested it, got a 19 MBs download speed, played a game, connection interrupted. Now I'm REALLY lost. I'll try updating it and see if that helps.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (1,918 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Jul 18, 2011

maybe its your internet provider, ask if there undergoing maintnence.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (1,918 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5263 posts

Jul 18, 2011

The UPnP is available and this is just great. I got the new firmware and my problem still isnt fixed. Although I did end up with a faster connection on my PS3 after opening those ports and getting a static IP. I just can't play online without wanting to pour acid on my PS3 every 30 seconds when I see CONNECTION INTERRUPTED followed by me respawning and losing my killstreak. The worst part is that if I'm host and everyone has green bars this will cause a host migration... yeah... I get kicked out.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (1,918 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Jul 18, 2011

If UPnP is working for you, then there's no need to forward ports or set static IP addresses. What NAT Type are you getting? 2?

Do other games aside from Black Ops work?

Are you running P2P video streaming or BitTorrent on any of your computers? Make sure they're not strangling your upstream connection.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (1,918 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
772 posts

Jul 18, 2011

try disabling media servers under network if you havent already it may not solve the problem but its worth a shot

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (1,918 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jul 18, 2011

I have the same problem BUT I also get signed out sometimes very randomly. It could be my provider thats why I'm switching on thursday.

NightmarePrime Trophy Card

Add me if you play Street Fighter!

http://www.youtube.com/user/nightmareprime
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (1,918 Views)
0 Likes