Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 28 2011
By: Slurp-Eee First Son 3 posts

PS3 cannot obtain IP address or connect to internet

26 replies 51630 views Edited Jan 28, 2011

Hi all,

I  recently installed the latest update on the 26th of January. After the  update I was able to play on the PSN no problem. Yesterday when I got  home my PS3 randomly is unable to connect to both the internet and my  media servers.

I will try to give as much info as possible.

First of all I am using the new PS3, 120GB.

Error codes: 80130182 and 80710092

I  am using a router and connecting wirelessly. I have tried resetting and  rebooting the router, at the same time shutting down the PS3 and  starting it back up again. Tried this many times with no luck. This was  the most common "fix" I could find after searching online.

I  have tried applying the update again via USB device after downloading  the update from my PC. The install worked fine but the problem persists.

I  have tried testing the internet connection from my PS3, sometimes it  will obtain an IP address and then fail on the internet connection, but  most times it will fail to obtain the IP address. I believe I have it  set to automatically assign an IP address and this has never been an  issue before.

I  have tried to go through the whole configuring process to setup the  connection, I scanned for wireless devices, found my network and entered  the WEP security key, same problem as above, either cannot obtain an IP  address, or fails connecting to the internet.

I left my PS3 and router unplugged ALL night and tried again in the morning, still no luck.

The  strange thing is...my other 2 computers on the same network receive the  connections fine and I am able to surf the internet so I'm not thinking  it's the router that is the problem.

I  will be testing it through a wired connection when I get home tonight,  other then that, is there anything else I'm missing that I should try to  get this to work?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Message 1 of 27 (51,630 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Re: PS3 cannot obtain IP address or connect to internet

Jan 28, 2011

Strange, I would have imagined the popularity of sony these forums would be much busier....anyone at all that has the same issue????

I would love to play some black ops tonight, considering last night failed....

Message 2 of 27 (51,630 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 29, 2011

I've had the exact same issue since the 3.56 update.  I keep getting the 80710B23 error which supposedly means the PSN is down?  In any case it is preventing me from doing anything online.  I tried the tests and got successes on everything until it got to download/upload rates which failed.  It signed in once after that and then when I tried to use netflix it disconnected and never connected again.  I'd love to be able to use my PSN.  Did something change in the new patch for wireless connections?

Message 3 of 27 (51,630 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 30, 2011

Same issue here, though I haven't tested Netflix. Will do now...

Nope, Netflix nor Browser are working.

I don't get it, my wired connection was working perfectly fine but this new update must've screwed things up. What's ironic is that my PS3 has no problem connecting to the Internet wirelessly, but can't get anywhere wired.

Message 4 of 27 (51,630 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
331 posts

Jan 31, 2011

As I just posted in my own thread, I'm having the exact same issues as you ever since 3.56.  Sony needs to get on this.  It's really the first time I've ever been frustrated with my PS3.  This sucks hard so I hope Sony takes notice.

Message 5 of 27 (51,630 Views)
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Jan 31, 2011

Does the wired connection work?

Make sure you have the newest firmware for your router from the router manufacturer's website. If you need help looking for firmware, give your model number and version number from the sticker underneath the router.

Message 6 of 27 (51,630 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 2, 2011

I have this exact same problem man. I had been playing online I believe friday night and saturday I went to go to netflix but the internet connect was down and said a new system update must be done first. I downloaded the update just fine and then I tried resetting the internet connection like I usually would if it was down, but no luck. I caught on to the fact that something had changed. I reset the router to default setting (nothing), tried to change the PS3 to a static IP (nothing), I restarted everything (nothing), and even restored my PS3 to its default software settings. So long story short, the new update has messed up something with the way the router talks to the PS3. Its very annoying having been on the internet perfectly one night and not the next.

Anyways I thought it was just me up until I saw your post. So hopefully the cant fix this with a patch or something soon!

Message 7 of 27 (51,630 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Feb 2, 2011

Have you checked the connection between the router and the PS3? Loose wire or weak wireless connection?

Message 8 of 27 (51,630 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 2, 2011

Okay I just fixed the problem and it makes no sense why it is working now and not before. I am connecting wirelessly through a network router extender and so I just moved that router to an outlet closer to my PS3 and it was able to get internet connection. It doesn't make sense because it worked before in the old spot; plus my computer was connecting wirelessly before I moved the router. Anyways Slurp-Eee if you have a router that you can move closer to the PS3 then I would try that as an alternative to everything we had tried before.

Message 9 of 27 (51,630 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
99 posts

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah, I was having  this issue too. It's looking like At&t is having an issue with their domain  name servers, but this is a pretty easy thing to fix. All you have to do is  change the dns in your PS3's internet connection settings to open and that's  it!

Here's how it's  done:

Go to "Internet  connection settings"

Select "custom" for  connection method

For Wired  connections: select wired connection, select auto-detect, select automatic for  ip address settings, dhcp host name "do not set", for DNS SETTINGS select MANUAL  and then put in two numbers from the following website http://theos.in/windows-xp/free-fast-public-dns-server-list/, choose the top option for everything else and then  try signing into your PSN account.

For WIRELESS connections: select wireless, select enter manually,  for ssid click to the right, click to the right for security, click to the right  for security key, automatic for ip address, do not set for dhcp host, MANUAL for  DNS and then enter two numbers http://theos.in/windows-xp/free-fast-public-dns-server-list/, choose the top option for everything else and then try  signing into your PSN account.

Hope that  helps
Message 10 of 27 (51,630 Views)