Jun 03 2012
By: SgtBlackTh0rne First Son 3 posts

PS3 VIRTUAL MEMORY PROBLEMS

12 replies 1840 views Edited Jun 3, 2012

I recently purchased a new PS3 320gb Bundle pack from Gamestop. When I got it home I obviously could not wait to start playing. When I saw that the Playstation store had PS1 and PS2 classics I of-course went crazy. I immediately purchased 2 games, one for PS1 and the other for PS2. I made both virtual memory cards for each game and assigned them to their individual slots. I then started to play. For the PS1 game I had no issues, but when I started playing the PS2 game, for some reason it could not find the internal memory card. I tried remaking the memory card, redownloading and reinstalling the game. I even resorted to calling customer support to see if we could figure out why it wasn't saving.

After being told to do the same things I had already previously done, I was rudely disconnected. I do my fair share of research, and everyone keeps saying that the new PS3's are not backwards compatible and cannot play PS2 games. I myself thought that was just for the actual discs, not PSN downloads. I will say however if it is true, why are you still selling PS2 games on the PSN? We all know how long it takes to skip through a PS2 game intro. The spamming of the (X) button never seems to make the dialog go any faster =/.

I love Sony and I am a PS fan all the way but I would like a solution to this problem.

I have noticed that when I exit the game, the virtual memory cards have been "kicked-out" of their slots. Maybe that is the problem? If so maybe someone knows a way to fix that.

All help is welcomed and appreciated. I would like to actually play the game I just payed $9.99 for..

Message 1 of 13 (1,840 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
27582 posts

Re: PS3 VIRTUAL MEMORY PROBLEMS

Jun 3, 2012

The PS2 Classics in the Playstation Store do not use the virtual PS2 memory cards on the PS3. Those are only used for actual PS2 games on DVD-ROM; which only the earliest PS3 models can play.  The PS2 Classics have their own internal virtual memory card system that has nothing to do with the virtual memory cards in the PS3 System. You can't do anything with PS2 Classic save data outside of the game.  It doesn't show up in the XMB on any virtual memory card. This also means that you can't use PS2 save data from the PS2 with PS2 Classics. You can only start a new game. PS1 Classics do use the same virtual memory cards as PS1 games on disk, and in most cases can use PS1 save data from physical PS1 memory cards.  The difference is because the PS2 Classics are modified from their original disk-based versions, whereas PS1 Classics are basically exactly the same as the CD-ROM versions.

Any PS3 can play PS2 Classics.  It doesn't matter whether or not the PS3 is PS2 backward-compatible.

GKP
Message 2 of 13 (1,840 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jun 3, 2012

Thank you for that answer, but I am not asking because I want to do anything with the game saves, I strickly want to play. I payed $9.99 for a game that I have to start over every time I load? I don't own my PS2 anymore, I don't have any saves that I am trying to use with the PS3. I downloaded the game straight from the PSN-Store, played the game, and I cannot save the game. No one in their right mind would purchase any game without the ability to save. I gotta sleep sometime...

If the game has its own internal memory, why does it tell me that it cannot be found? I spent 3 hours on the phone with a customer support, why did he keep telling me to create an internal memory card and assign it to a slot if that has nothing to do with it?

Message 3 of 13 (1,840 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
3 posts

Jun 3, 2012

FIXED!!!!

Thank you to Joshua at customer support! Turns out it was something to do with a corrupted file. We restored the files and all of a sudden it works. Perfect!

Thank you for the help.

Message 4 of 13 (1,840 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jun 10, 2013
I'm terribly sorry for replying to such an old topic, but I'm desperate. I'm having the exact same issue as this person, but no one has been able to help me, not even the (awful) costumer support. Has anyone else found a way to fix this problem?
Message 5 of 13 (1,513 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24518 posts

Jun 10, 2013

Linerie wrote:
I'm terribly sorry for replying to such an old topic, but I'm desperate. I'm having the exact same issue as this person, but no one has been able to help me, not even the (awful) costumer support. Has anyone else found a way to fix this problem?

The poster above said it was due to corrupted files. Have you tried Safe Mode option 3? That should take care of any corruption. Click the words Safe Mode for a link and follow the video.

Message 6 of 13 (1,500 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jun 10, 2013
Thanks for replying!

Yes, I've tried entering Safe Mode and restoring the file system. Multiple times, actually. I've also tried rebuilding the database, and at a point everything seemed so utterly helpless, I even tried restoring the whole PS3 system and installing the game again (I've reinstalled it 4 times as of now), and the problem still persists. Any other ideas that might help?

Thanks in advance.
Message 7 of 13 (1,497 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24518 posts

Message 8 of 13 (1,487 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jun 10, 2013
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES. The PS2 classic version from PSN.
Message 9 of 13 (1,484 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24518 posts

Jun 10, 2013

Linerie wrote:
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES. The PS2 classic version from PSN.

And what is the problem? The game isn't finding the virtual memory card? Did you see gkpama's answer. The classic games available digitally on the PSN don't require virtual memory cards.

Message 10 of 13 (1,479 Views)
0 Likes