Jul 18 2012
By: greenshinobi65 First Son 5 posts

PS3 NAT TYPE 3 ISSUES. HELP!

7 replies 7889 views Edited Jul 18, 2012

Okay, so whenever I try to connect my PS3 to my modem, I get a NAT Type 3. I even gave my PS3 a static IP but still get NAT Type 3! I have also tried port forwarding but I still end up with NAT type 3! My ISP is Qwest/CenturyLink and I have a Qwest Motorola 3347 Router/Modem. Please help! I'm tired of having strict NAT on games such as Call of Duty.

Message 1 of 8 (7,889 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3699 posts

Re: PS3 NAT TYPE 3 ISSUES. HELP!

Jul 18, 2012

Hey,

I've collected some helpful links and troubleshooting tips for you.

The PlayStation Knowledge Center is probably the best and most helpful site to visit for troubleshooting advice and support. With NAT Type 3, it may not be possible to communicate with your other PS3 systems, and voice / video chat and the communication features of games may be restricted. Opening specific ports can change your NAT to type 2. Click Here for the firewall ports for the PS3 system. 

Q: Why do I have NAT Type 3? How can I get NAT Type 2? (PlayStation 3 Networking and Connection Quality FAQ)

A: "NAT Type 3 means the PS3 is behind a very restrictive connection. It is difficult for other PS3s across the internet to reach yours. Sometimes there are two routers in line, with one scrambling the connection data of the other. Sometimes the internet service provider provides you with a modem that performs NAT/routing for protection (think 'firewall'). If you use your own router behind this type of modem (sometimes called a 'gateway'), then you will have to turn off the routing on the modem (sometimes called 'bridging'). Some modems will move you from NAT Type 3 to NAT Type 1 if you put the PS3 in the DMZ."

Q: What are the firewall (TCP and UDP) port numbers that I need to allow on my network to play games online with PlayStation® products?

A: Click Here

If all else fails, you may want to contact your Internet Provider for modem/router set-up support. Keep in mind; some providers may charge for technical support. 

Good luck,

S.

Message 2 of 8 (7,881 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18872 posts

Jul 18, 2012

greenshinobi65 wrote:

Okay, so whenever I try to connect my PS3 to my modem, I get a NAT Type 3. I even gave my PS3 a static IP but still get NAT Type 3! I have also tried port forwarding but I still end up with NAT type 3! My ISP is Qwest/CenturyLink and I have a Qwest Motorola 3347 Router/Modem. Please help! I'm tired of having strict NAT on games such as Call of Duty.

Oh how I dislike these combo boxes. Anyways,

Did you forward the ports as shown on the image below? My setup & with it I get NAT2. 

PortFowarding.png

If you correctly forwarded the ports to your PS3s static IP and still no NAT2 then I suggest you enable DMZ for that same IP.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 3 of 8 (7,875 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jul 19, 2012

Whenever I try to Port Forward the 80 to 80, I get an error message:

ERROR:

Pinhole element PrtFwd_0 has conflict with internal

Web- TCP service 80,

Either change pinhole port or redirect Web Port.

Message 4 of 8 (7,864 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18872 posts

Jul 19, 2012

greenshinobi65 wrote:

Whenever I try to Port Forward the 80 to 80, I get an error message:

ERROR:

Pinhole element PrtFwd_0 has conflict with internal

Web- TCP service 80,

Either change pinhole port or redirect Web Port.

Not only do I dislike these combo boxes [modem/router] but running into one which has been given an identity crisis is the worst [Netopia and/or Qwest] rrrrrrrr. Anyways,

Basically the error is stating that port 80 is already being forwarded to something. After doing some digging I came to find out that the Qwest/Netopia Motorola modem/router uses port 80 [TCP] for its web [HTTP] interface and port 23 [TCP] for its internal telnet server.

Simpler Solution

Enable IP Passthrough for your PS3's static IP. See if this solve your NAT problem.

More Complex Solution

There should be an option to change the port being use by the router for its web interface. If such option exist within the router, it would be under Advance/Expert options, most likely under under an option title "Internal Servers" If you do manage to find where you can change the router web [HTTP] interface then change this to 8080.

Now you should be able to forward port 80 to the PS3.

---

-Check the user manual info on this topic. Moreover, since this is an ISP provided router, they should be able to tell you where this option is found at.

--Alternatively, I found this simple but low quality image guide. It isn't for the model you have but perhaps the interface is alike.

http://www.waronerrors.com/kb/how-to-change-web-access-port-on-netopia-3000-router.aspx

Message 5 of 8 (7,855 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jul 20, 2012

How do i enable IP passthrough for my PS3?

And I found out that port 80 is being used by remote management and I changed the port to 8080 like you said, but I still get the same error as before.

Message 6 of 8 (7,834 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18872 posts

Jul 20, 2012

greenshinobi65 wrote:

How do i enable IP passthrough for my PS3?

And I found out that port 80 is being used by remote management and I changed the port to 8080 like you said, but I still get the same error as before.

After changing the ports, did you restarted the router? If so, then make sure that there is only one pinhole forwarding port 80.

found a .pdf file with instruction on how to enable it, lucky you.

This is the Google Cache link.
[Try this first]

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:WgsSo1dKSJAJ:c.search.centurylink.com/internethelp/modems...

This is the direct link
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CEgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fc.sear...

Message 7 of 8 (7,821 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Jul 24, 2012

I also have centurylink but a diff modem;  I ended up having to buy a new modem/router (from Best Buy gt784wn-01).  At the bottom of my post there is a link to a more comprehensive post somebody else did that I didn't find until today. 

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Support-General/Possible-help-for-NAT-type-Strict-or-3-amp-ha...

good luck!

Message 8 of 8 (7,801 Views)
0 Likes