Jan 20 2014
By: zico291 First Son 6 posts

New to PSN/PS4 and I have a few questions.

12 replies 225 views Edited Jan 20, 2014

Hi guys,

Here is the run down, I created a PSN account in Febuary last year as I decided I was going to pre-order a PS4 I was 17 years old so I had to have a sub account. In the end I ended up with a Xbox One as my friend was getting one however for my 18th Birthday I got a PS4,  I have been using and loving it however I have encountered a problem so I was wandering if anyone could help me out.

I downloaded Warframe but even though I am 18 I can't play it because it has a parental lock despite everything saying allowed. I then thought that as I haven't done anything with this account I will just delete this account and then create a new PSN account with the same PSN ID. Is this possible? I would really like to keep the same PSN ID as I also use it for Xbox LIVE and my friends find it easy to remember.

I have read that you can't upgrade sub accounts to master accounts like on XBL so I would like to know how PS+ works on sub accounts along with how do sub accounts go about buying games etc on the PlayStation Store.

So in short term:

Is it possible to delete a PSN ID then create a new account with the same name?

How does PS+ work on sub-accounts can they still download the free games and buy games etc or does that have to be done by the master account? If it does can the master account download them and the sub account play them?

Despite me being 18 will playing 18 rated games not allow me to play online like Warframe as I am using a sub account, or is it just Warframe that is the problem?

Do you think that Sony will add the option to upgrade sub accounts to master accounts (When the child turns 18) eventually?

Well I guess that is all questions I have for now, sorry if it long as I said I am new to PSN and PlayStation 4 (The last PlayStation I had was the PS1).

Thanks again,
zico291

Message 1 of 13 (225 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10171 posts

Re: New to PSN/PS4 and I have a few questions.

Jan 20, 2014
Actually Sony did add the ability to change sub accounts into a master account late last year, so most of your problems should be able to be fixed by upgrading the account to master.

Also there is no way to delete a PSN account.
Message 2 of 13 (213 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 20, 2014

Could you tell me how to do this?

Message 3 of 13 (211 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10171 posts

Jan 20, 2014

zico291 wrote:

Could you tell me how to do this?

I am not exactly sure on that, I have been trying to find the answer for you, but can't seem to get any results on how to upgrade it to a master account.

Message 4 of 13 (208 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 20, 2014
Thanks for trying I found this article, could it be that it hasn't come into effect yet?

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/12/psn-adult-age-users-can-now-transition-to-master-accounts/
Message 5 of 13 (205 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10171 posts

Jan 20, 2014

zico291 wrote:
Thanks for trying I found this article, could it be that it hasn't come into effect yet?

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/12/psn-adult-age-users-can-now-transition-to-master-accounts/

That`s a possiblilty, that article was posted in Nov. so they could of pushed it back, as the article first says it`s out now, then it updated saying it`s not out yet.

Message 6 of 13 (200 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 20, 2014
Let's hope it's not to far off, in the mean time how would PS+ work on a sub account?

You have been a great help so far.
Message 7 of 13 (193 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10171 posts

Jan 21, 2014
You would need a master account to subscribe to plus, but once you do, as long as the sub account is on the same system you would still be able to play the plus games with your sub account, that you downloaded using the master account.
Message 8 of 13 (177 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 21, 2014

Okay, thanks. Last question, I can still play 18 rated games online right? I hoping Warframe was just a one off. I don't want to buy a 18 rated game and find out that I can't play it online.

Message 9 of 13 (174 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10171 posts

Jan 21, 2014
You can play M rated games with a sub account, I think your problem may be parental controls, you would need to sign into the master account that is associated with your sub account, then go to Account Management - Sub Account Management - Parental Controls then go to Content Restriction and remove the restriction, you should then be able to play any game regardless of the ESRB rating. If you want more info, check out this link https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/184
Message 10 of 13 (169 Views)
0 Likes