Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 28 2011
By: Bigg_Daddy808 First Son 11 posts

Neverending quest for connection??...

11 replies 19 views Edited Oct 28, 2011

Bought the PS3 within the last year. And actually started playing online within the last year (I’m slow to everything). Initially set connection up pretty much all automatic and it works fine for most everything including GTA4. Then Came Red Dead! I have tried almost everything with little success and actually sometimes worse. I have port forwarded. DMZed. UPnp enable/disable. Static IP.NAT 2...Nothing seems to work. I get booted from every room that has more then 3-4 players. I’m running through a year old Netgear wpn 842v3 router. And I have true wireless internet (radio) no DSL or hard lines where I live. I’ve searched all the forums and videos on these issues and have tried just about everything. Running out of ideas. Any help appreciated???

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
657 posts

Re: Neverending quest for connection??...

Oct 30, 2011

Can you elaborate on just what exactly "true wireless internet" is?

It's possible that latency on your connection is simply too high for the game you wish to play, but that's just a wild guess as I don't understand your scenario very well from your description.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (19 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Oct 30, 2011

I would call it radio. The nieghbor has a repeater etc. Its not satalite and its not comeing in on a cable. And the conections is actually hella fast. Like I said its only rdr that haveing the issues. GTA4 worked fine. So??

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (19 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Oct 30, 2011

Is it the cell phone network that you're getting the internet connection through?

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
657 posts

Oct 30, 2011

I still don't fully understand your network situation. Are you getting your connection from your neighbor's wifi? If you have your own service, who is it with and what device did they provide you to get access?

If you're getting online and able to play PSN games then the basic problems are out of consideration: you're not being firewalled, addressing is working, and you are getting decent bandwidth. My original guess of latency is all I can come up with. What do you get when you go to speedtest.net and run a test?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (19 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Oct 31, 2011

No it’s not through a cell company. The ISP is called wind wireless. They mount this little square antenna to the side of your house and there is a little switch (MODEM) inside the house then network cables to the router or wherever. That’s it not much to the set up. I haven’t done a test lately but I think I remember it connecting somewhere @ or + of 1M...We are close to the repeater so it’s pretty fast so not sure it’s a speed issue. I don’t get any lag problems or nothing like that. When it is working the gameplay is totally smooth. I played RDR this weekend and same deal if a room gets more then 4-5 people in it I get booted back to the nether regions....

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
657 posts

Nov 1, 2011

Wind Wireless is providing residential internet access via Wifi (802.11B).

The reason I asked you to run speedtest.net is that it reports three numbers:

1) latency (how long it takes a packet to get from you to speedtest (testing for the internet in general))

2) down bandwidth (how many bits/s you can receive)

3) up bandwidth (how many bit/s you can send)

When it comes to online gaming, latency becomes important. While latency doesn't matter much if you are streaming audio or video or downloading files, it does matter for close to real time interaction.

I'm suspecting that you have relatively high latency and that while that is OK for most of the games you are playing, Red Dead has a lower threshold of tolerance for latency. If you find that you have high latency, you *may* be able to improve performance on your home LAN, but that's a wild guess. You can't normally make much of an improvement in latency unless something is broken on your LAN (speed/duplex mismatch, wifi channel collision/interference).

I'm sorry but I don't see a fix for your issue from where things stand now.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (19 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Nov 2, 2011

I did a speed test last night and got between 1.2 and 1.6M up and down (ran the test several times) Nothing for latency though do you have a link or something to find that or can I just google latency test?

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
657 posts

Nov 2, 2011

It had been a while since I did the test via the webpage, I just ran it. Latency is reported as "Ping". It will be the first test and is listed just to the left of the download speed.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (19 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Nov 4, 2011

OK so took the test and I obviously gotta study harder to get my grades up. Any Ideas what or where to study???

http://www.pingtest.net/result/49883000.png

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (19 Views)
0 Likes