Mar 23 2013
By: buckallmighty Keyblade Wielder 8142 posts

Network settings..

[ Edited ]
7 replies 216 views Edited Mar 23, 2013

When i disable "internet connection" on my ps3 since 4.40 all it seems to do it disable the ticker on the top right of the screen. The lights on my router show that it is still connected and blinking randomly as if its still doing something. When i tell it to disconnect i expect it to completely disconnect itself not act as it is disconnected when it is actually still connected.

There is no way anyone else is connected to my router because i am locked up tight and proper, wifi is even disabled completely.

This feature used to completely disconnect the system like it was intended to do, like i pulled the cable.. Is this a bug or was this modified to be this way purposely?

Message 1 of 8 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
18800 posts

Re: Network settings..

[ Edited ]
Mar 23, 2013

buckallmighty wrote:

When i disable "internet connection" on my ps3 since 4.40 all it seems to do it disable the ticker on the top right of the screen. The lights on my router show that it is still connected and blinking randomly as if its still doing something. When i tell it to disconnect i expect it to completely disconnect itself not act as it is disconnected when it is actually still connected.

There is no way anyone else is connected to my router because i am locked up tight and proper, wifi is even disabled completely.

This feature used to completely disconnect the system like it was intended to do, like i pulled the cable.. Is this a bug or was this modified to be this way purposely?

I never had the need to do disable the internet connection on my PS3 but yes setting Internet Connection to Disabled maintains the ethernet connection alive, much as the wake on lan feature found on network interface cards. This could also mean that before the NIC was actually turned off and now internet access is just disabled.

After further checking my network I found:

• With the Internet Connection & Media Server Connection disabled the router's ethernet light still acknowledge the cable as being alive.
  • When checking my network status the LAN port is shown as being active with a data transfer rate with an average of 0.02 KB/s but at moments this peaks up to 2.60 KB/s
  • The PS3 has no IP nor anything else assigned to it. In other words, the PS3 is dwelling in limbo.
    • To further test this, based on my PS3 mac address, I assigned it an IP. This way if the PS3 was looking to connect the router would comply and give it its address.
  • When turning the PS3 off the connection between the PS3 & router is completely turned off.
    • If this wasn't so then this is when I would worry.
    • This also shows that it is not a wake-on-lan feature that has been introduced.

For I don't have a pocket sniffer with me, I cannot tell whats exactly is being transmitted.

Is it a bug? I have no idea.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 2 of 8 (194 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8142 posts

Mar 23, 2013
I know it used to disable the connection completely when you set it to "disable"

My internet is slow, but stable. I disable my ps3 connection a lot so that i can play games while someone in the other room watches netflix/hulu/youtube. Disabling my ps3 connection doesnt help at all now. I have to physically unplug it for anything else to run properly.
Message 3 of 8 (189 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1013 posts

Mar 23, 2013
It's not a bug. It's your router sending small transmissions to the ps3 to make sure that there's no hardware problems. It's called a no-op command. Your ps3 will send a no-op passed response back to the router to show that the hardware is working correctly.
My PSN
Message 4 of 8 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8142 posts

Mar 23, 2013

the_ed_85 wrote:
It's not a bug. It's your router sending small transmissions to the ps3 to make sure that there's no hardware problems. It's called a no-op command. Your ps3 will send a no-op passed response back to the router to show that the hardware is working correctly.

That makes sence, but i still dont understand why it never did that before or why it is required now. Guess i will just have to actually unplug it everytime someone wants to watch a movie now. Lovely.
Message 5 of 8 (182 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18800 posts

Mar 23, 2013

buckallmighty wrote:
I know it used to disable the connection completely when you set it to "disable"

My internet is slow, but stable. I disable my ps3 connection a lot so that i can play games while someone in the other room watches netflix/hulu/youtube. Disabling my ps3 connection doesnt help at all now. I have to physically unplug it for anything else to run properly.

The data being transmitted is so small that it should have no effect on the bandwidth required for the other device to watch netflix/hulu/youtube. You can still disable the  internet connection and still have the same effect you had before.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 6 of 8 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8142 posts

Mar 23, 2013
It still effects mine. Not sure why. I dont know how to tell what or how much is being transfered. No biggie really i will just unplug it to avoid any drama out of the "real problem"
Message 7 of 8 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4722 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 24, 2013

Part of the 4.40 update was the PS3 side install of the Security code and networking for..... AUTOMATIC DOWNLOAD from the Web...

The PS3 will allways be connected, So that you can Download but the Kids can not connect out or go online...

You will get full controll of this from the SEN web store after May some time....

The reason for the US web site update delay is because SCEA is still making there minds up. when the dead line is going to be for North America...

Main features in system software update version 4.40

• System software update 4.40 will allow users to download content purchased from our online store to their PS3. This feature is not available yet and will be activated in May 2013. Keep an eye on eu.playstation.com for a detailed guide explaining how to make the most of this feature.
  • The wireless stereo headset (CECHYA-0080 / CECHYA-0086) and the stereo headset (CECHYA-0088) now support PlayStation 2 Classics that have been downloaded from PlayStation Store.
  • System software stability during use of some features has been improved.

EU made there mind up for May release.. 

PDP Remotesnapshot6.png

Message 8 of 8 (147 Views)
0 Likes